Thread: Catamount

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Catamount

I'm almost positive that I saw a Catamount last night. Is this possible? I got a pretty good look.

beer thief
    Sure it's possible. What color? Where were you?

think
    Jul 2008
    They're out there. That's some luck to see one though.

Moderator Moderator
    VT Fish & Wildlife will investigate sightings here...check for prints, scat, hair,etc. A good look at the long tail is the best way to know it wasn't a lynx or bobcat.

mtbr member
    I grew up in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, where I still reside. When I was young, 6-7 years old, I saw what I now believe was a catamount on a hill behind our house. It was very dark in color, and had a long tail. It was in a rather brushy, grown-in area, though when I saw it, it was standing in a trail, so I got a good look. When it saw me, it leapt twice (covering some amazing ground) and was gone. I went inside and told my mom that I had seen a black panther in our back yard. She responded the same way that she did when I complained of an abominable snowman in our hall closet. "Oh really? Was the Wicked Witch of the West there, too?"
    I'm still not sure if I saw it, but I can still see it like it was yesterday.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm not sure of the color but I did know to zero in on the tail which was long. It was also much bigger than a bobcat and had a big cat stride. Definitely not a coyote. This was in Northern Vt. I thought about reporting it to F&W but didn't want to seem like a crazy person. Figured I'd post it and see if anyone has had a similar experience.