mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Carrabassett Valley riding/lodging

So, I have a week of vacation next week and my son (15) and I are heading out on a road trip. First stop will be Bar Harbor for some easy trail riding/kayaking, etc. We were then going to head back to VT to ride the Kingdom Trails around Weds/Thurs/Fri. But I see there are some trails up in Carrabassett Valley and also the Maine Huts. Looks like some nice mix of easy/intermediate riding along with some gravel roads. Perhaps riding into one of the backcountry Huts.

Just wondering about info on the trails, found the Carrabassett Valley NEMBA site but wondering about more info on trails. Also any good info on cheap lodging kotel for a couple of nights next week. Figure we could hit up the trails there and then head to Kingdom Trails for the weekend.

Thanx's

mtbr member
    What an awesome dad.

I did the Huts this spring as an xc ski trip. I believe they are unmanned for part of the summer. From what I could tell some of the xc trail would be mushy and wet for a bike, its also wide and rolling, not singletrack. I would check their site.

I do always hear about the trails up there, with the race, Sugarloaf Outdoor Center trails, and what not. Considering a summer trip myself. Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    We had thought of a XC ski trip to the huts this winter. but the drive is kind of far, especially in the winter. I have all the info from Maine Huts, but thanx's for the heads up on the sogginess of the trails. We've been soak here in Vt and most of the trails are closed. We'll have a couple of day packs, so could get some hiking in along the higher trails.

Any ideas on lodging besides the high price lodging at Sugarloaf? Seems to be minimal motels around there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There are a couple decent motels just north of Sugarloaf in Stratton, ME. Stayed their last year for the Carrabasset Challenge race.

mtbr member
    Lots of ski homes there. May be able to rent cheap in the summer.

mtbr member
    If MTB is what u seek, go to vt or nh. There are plenty of places to get lost and ride much better, more diverse, ample terrain. If you are set on CV, have fun. It is beautiful there. Happy to suggest any number of vt or nh places. We are dry in NH. Plenty of great stuff on seacoast and in whites/no co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Some decent riding in CV. A few new single track trails at the outdoor center that connect to the narrow gauge rail trail along the river. Lots of single track options off the rail trail as well.

I have done a lot of trail design and consulting with the local bike clib and they are doing a great job building fun trails. Check in with Bob at Carrabassett Valley Bikes at the outdoor center. Camping might be an option at the outdoor center... The town is small, you can always just call the town offices for info on camping.

Check in with the huts folks, they might be open and and from what I remember, the rates were real decent for a room and meal. You can ride to the poplar stream hut or the brand new Straton brook hut from the Valley.

Carrabassett is hoping to become a summer destination, if you make it there, please report back here.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Stay in a hut. Great food. Wicked cool buildings. Worth checking out. Was up there building trail in June. Great potential and great place.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    We're in Bar Harbor now, few days of easy riding and some paddling. We'll then head up to CV to check what's there. Found some motels in Straton. Will check out the huts as day rides. Really would like to ski them in the winter as a multi day trip.

We are from Vt, most trails are closed/just opening. Wanted to get away and try something different. By the time we get to Kingdom Trails in a week, conditions should be great. Then back home to Hinesburg/Waterbury/Stowe.