mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Carrabassett Backcountry Cycle Challenge - July 22

Registration for the long course closes this Saturday at mid-night.....well Sunday at 12:01AM technically. This will be your last chance to register for the long course.

Registration is here: bikereg.com/Net/15826

Short course registration can be done up until the day of the event.

I think this years edition is improved over last year. No double loop this year, course will be great. Lots of work has been going on up there in recent months, the race will cover much of this new trail work. Come check it out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Registration has actually been extended to Wednesday at midnight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Great race
    Well done video that captures the event and the area.

2012 Carrabassett Backcountry Cycle Challenge WSKI TV 17 Sugarloaf Maine

mtbr member
    Hi Maine-ers,
    Wondering about information about this event? 2013 date? Friendly event for out of state riders?
    Any info would be great. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Race will be a little earlier in July this year. Rumor of trying to stretch it out to 100km

save the date info here:
    https://www.bikereg.com/Net/17789

mtbr member
    Whats the beta on the course?
    One loop? Multiples of a short loop? Singletrack? Dirt roads? Roots? Rocks? How many participants?
    My wife did her residency in ME and wants to come for a visit, I thought I might try to do this event if it's fun. How would a Colorado rider find this event?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    This is a well run event. Folks in these parts are not strangers to hosting big bike and ski events, and I think it carries over to the backcountry challenge event, even though it is only a couple of years old.

As far as the course goes it is a real mix of everything. There might be more double track than anything else, but there really is a good amount of everything. There isn't a lot of easy fast rolling terrain, some, but not a ton. You will be glad when you hit it.

The first year there was a double loop, but it is their goal to not have loops. Last year it was 52+ miles and nothing repeated, which was great. This year they are trying for 100k with no repeat loops. I think it is possible.

As far as a rider from CO goes I guess it depends on the type of rider you are. If you have good bike skills, lots of miles in, you will be fine. If you ride dirt roads, don't have a lot of miles, you will suffer.

Last year the ability level of the top riders was very strong....it was very competitive. There were plenty of average joe riders with 9-5 jobs that ride a lot, but there was a lot of guys at the next level too.

If you are going to be in the area you should do the race. You will not be disappointed, it is well done and lots of suffering. Very well done aid stations too

mtbr member
    Great info, thanks!