mtbr member

Cape Elizabeth ME area trail suggestions

Howdy - I'll be visiting the Cape Elizabeth area this coming weekend and am looking for some ride suggestions. Unfortunately, I won't have my mt bike with me but I will have my cyclocross bike so any dirt and/or road suggestions would be helpful. Are the CELT trails dried out enough for riding on those yet? It's been a while since I've been back to Maine and I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks

mtbr member
    CELT is no good for a cross bike. Too rooty and rocky. Maybe some of the trails at Bradbury State Park which is about 30 minutes away. The best place for a cross bike is in Acadia. The carriage trails are great for that. Note especially close to CE though.

You could pick up a Santa Cruz demo for a couple of days at Allspeed bike shop.

mtbr member
    yes I'm quite familiar with Acadia (and agree it's great for a cross bike) but since I'll be south of Portland I was looking to explore CE a bit via bike both on and off road. i agree that the cross bike will be a handful on the trails but i'm looking to see what CE offers

thanks

Doesnt ride Banshees
    You will be incredibly close to the Eastern Trail, which is a rails-to-trails project that goes all the way down to Kennebunk on dirt. Awesome with a cross bike. When in Cape Elizabeth, simply find your way to Black Point road, and pedal inland towards Rt. 1. You'll find the intersection of Black Point road and Eastern Road, turn left (south) on the Eastern road. It'll dead end, and the trail will begin. Go as far as you'd like. I'd recommend stopping in Saco and turning around, as there's a few minutes of pavement and a couple turns before the trail picks up again. You'll find various singletrack sections visible off the Eastern trail, also plenty of fun on a cross bike. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    thanks for the suggestion! I am planning on doing a ride that includes that chunk of the Eastern Trail as I've been curious about it, maybe head back via roads and see some more sights along the way.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    There's a short stretch of singletrack at the intersection of route 77 and Black Point rd called Camp Ketcha. You might check that out on your way in/out. Pretty fun stuff on a cross bike, but only about 15 minutes worth.

mtbr member
    thanks! I'll be sure and check it out!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the trail suggestions, guys. I rode in the area this past weekend and enjoyed myself immensely, even though with the cross bike I had to take it ez on the roots and rocks. I have to admit riding the marshy areas with planks is something I had forgotten about and had to relearn - too much time riding i nthe wide open spaces out west makes a man lazy!

I might be moving to the area, are there any group rides around Portland?

mtbr member
    Lots of them. Allspeed probably has the most Mountain bike specific group rides. I think EMS and Cyclemania also have group rides. The Cyclemania group;p rides are in the city and would be better for a cross bike as they hit trails and road.

mtbr member
    sounds great, I'll have to check out Allspeed if/when the time comes. I was only using the cross bike as it's a Ritchey Breakaway that I can easily travel with