Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Delirious Tuck

Smile Camping near Millstone... Where else to ride?

I've hit KT full pull and am looking to ride new trails in VT this trip. Going to be camping for 3 days near Millstone, so definitely plan on hitting Millstone.

I've heard Stowe and Pittsfield and Pine Hill are must hits, since I have 2 open riding days, what to prioritize and am I missing anything "must hit"? What's ettiquette, go to shops and get trail info/maps/passes like KT or join the local MBA and go from there?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Go to Waterbury which is on the way to Stowe both off Exit 10 for RT 100

Delirious Tuck
    Can Waterbury and Stowe be done in an aggressive day? I can do 6 hours on the bike, more if I break it up with an hour lunch break...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    yes combine waterbury with something in stowe, skip pittsfield, look at STAB in windsor, stuff in the mad river valley(sugarbush area), hinesburge/ carse hills....

mtbr member
    Yep: I'd recommend Waterbury/Stowe one day, and then Hinesburg/Carse the second (if you are heading back west) or STAB (if you are heading back east).

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    waterbury is potentially the best trail network in the state from a "FUN" standpoint.

stowe is a blast as well and the potetials exist to ride from Waterbury to stowe on nearly all dirt/singletrack.

mtbr member
    With one day to ride would u do millstone or Waterbury?

Moderator Moderator
    You could do some of each, it is only 45 mins or so between the 2. Both unique, Millstone has cool quarries & challenges from granite & built stuff - Wby has more climbing/descending & speed/ledge induced excitement. Eat/drink in Wby.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ride Waterbury, Millstone, Stowe, Waitsfiled, Hinesburg (listed in order of importance) and camp at millstone. IMO. If you'r willing to buy a day pass and include the trapps stuff in stowe, it moves up to a tie for first in where you should ride. Connect to Town Forrest trails to the Trapps trails for a good 2 hours ride. Could do both that and waterbury in a day, one morning, one afternoon.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Ride Waterbury, Millstone, Stowe, Waitsfiled, Hinesburg (listed in order of importance) and camp at millstone. IMO. If you'r willing to buy a day pass and include the trapps stuff in stowe, it moves up to a tie for first in where you should ride. Connect to Town Forrest trails to the Trapps trails for a good 2 hours ride. Could do both that and waterbury in a day, one morning, one afternoon.
    Listen to Dave. He knows his stuff.

mtbr member
    I put a vote in for Perry Hill in Waterbury, one of the most incredible rides I had in my 18 years in mtbking. Don't skip Pittsfield. We've done a ton of work on them in the last year and they're super fun and buff and bermed to the hilt. I've had great reactions from everyone who's ridden them this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Zaab, Tons of work has gone into Pittsfield there are super berms ect and your efforts should be acknowledged. but not enough single track. It seems like we were riding double track/narrow logging roads 80% of the time, I've riden the long route and variations three times and find it kind of boring because of the wide trails. There fun sections but those seem to be short.

Delirious Tuck
    So I'm hearing skip Rutland/Pine Hill Park and do a Hinesburg/Carse day instead?

Right now thinking... Millstone day 1, Waterbury/Stowe day 2, and rutland or Hinesburg/carse day 3?

Links to best bike shops or general parking and route descripitons or where to buy a map/access?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    1) Millstone- buy a pass talk to Pierre he will give you a map and route depending on what you want everything is nicely marked. 2) Waterbury- all clearly marked search the vermont forum their are some maps on here form last year. Stowe- harder try Iride-town loops up to Trapps, or go to trapps buy a pass hit their trails down to the town loops, not many maps most of the the Stowe Stuff is on private land. 3) Carse/Hinesburge- Fellowship of the wheel- shoot them an e-mail and maybe they will send you a map.

mtbr member
    That's cool Murph, to each their own. In their development (which I wasn't around for) they were excavated due to a lack of manpower and wider than hand built trails. I've observed that they've been naturally growing tighter with each year I've been here and a lot of people have been enjoying them immensely.

Its only me out there for now and the foreseeable future, but my plan is to flag and hand build all the technical track I can find, and this process has started already. There is a lot of great terrain and I'm not going to let it go to waste.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    dpackie@hotmail, I can send you a map of Stowe. At Waterbury ride green to blue, then climb back up the main climb and hit red to yellow.Thge green and red climb are the same until the last bit, then they split. Hinesburg is way bigger, way bigger then Pine hill. If you are into big rides, I like parking at the hineburg hollow road entrance, at the fred johnson parking area, riding up Pinner/slight return, front door to henry heights...accross lincoln hill, up back door, ride dragons back to the red descent (Wolf something) make a right and climb back up dragons back back to Backdoor, and out the way you came in. A good three hours. You could hit a shitton more trail over on the norths ide of liconl hill before heading back, Passing the Horizon would be a great one to add. $.02

mtbr member
    also depends on the time you have and type of riding. Pine hill is about 1-1/2hrs from Millstone and Hinesburg is 40 min or so. Pine hill is more of hard pack, fast flowing trails with little climbing. Where Hinesburg is a combination of fast flow and technical with a lot more climbing than Pine Hill...climbing leads to fun downhills though.

DaveVT's route on Perry hill is about 12 miles and 2800 vertical...can take from 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" depending on how fast you want to climb. Of course Dave can do it in just over an hour...right Dave
    Get out and Ride!!

Delirious Tuck
    Sweet! Stoked for this trip. Fine with driving a ways to get to the trails, however my rule is, need to be on trail for at least as long as total roundtrip driving time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by biggearss View Post
    also depends on the time you have and type of riding. Pine hill is about 1-1/2hrs from Millstone and Hinesburg is 40 min or so. Pine hill is more of hard pack, fast flowing trails with little climbing. Where Hinesburg is a combination of fast flow and technical with a lot more climbing than Pine Hill...climbing leads to fun downhills though.

DaveVT's route on Perry hill is about 12 miles and 2800 vertical...can take from 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" depending on how fast you want to climb. Of course Dave can do it in just over an hour...right Dave
    my best time is 71 minutes. The fastest known time is 61.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    We are gonna be in the area or three days of riding. Bringing two Pugsleys...any suggestions on for a non-freeride trail? Rock drops and highly technical trails are out for my wife.

MC MasterShake
    So how was the trip Tucker? How'd you like the trails?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

stowe is a blast as well and the potetials exist to ride from Waterbury to stowe on nearly all dirt/singletrack.
    Would be very interested to learn how to make this happen. Been looking for a way to expand my road to dirt to trail riding. I'm in BTV, so mixed terrain rides that can connect and loop to places I can get to without a car are becoming more interesting.

mtbr member
    Is the best camping between waterbury/millstone at millstone hill inn. Prefer to be closer to MH. thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just did 3 days in VT last weekend and can say that Pine Hill Park and Pittsfield are worth the trip (and can easily be ridden in the same day). I've also been lucky enough to ride Stowe (Kimmmerrrrrrr's.....) and Millstone twice over the past few weeks. They are all great in their own way and each place is very different.

We took a little over a couple hours to do the advanced loop at Pittsfield and maybe we were still riding the high from Pine Hill but we found it to be a blast. I think it was about 1000 feet of climbing (made fun by the sweet berms) and then some of the longest stretches of downhill riding I've personally experienced in New England (seemed like 1/4 mile long bench cuts on Stonewall).

For future travelers coming up from the south... A nice sampling of VT is (day 1) Pine Hill Park/Pittsfield, (day 2) Stowe/Waterbury, (day 3) Millstone. If I had my wish I would have snuck Kingdom in on day 3 and finished with Millstone on day 4. Or maybe 2 days in Stowe/Waterbury, making Kingdom day 5 and Millstone... you get the picture. ;-)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the Pittsfield props! And I have to say, from what I've seen of the riding in the great state of Vermont so far, if I were forced to do all my riding within state borders, I think I would still be perfectly content.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast