mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Burke mountain upper trails openning date

I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of when the upper trails tend to open on burke mountain. Planning some vacation and would like to go late enough in the season that upper j-bar is rideable.

Is late may/early june to early for the snow to have melted and everything be good to go up there?

mtbr member
    It's not a matter of when the snow melts, it's when the state allows. A lot of Burke Mountain is a state park so the state doesn't allow use until sometime in June. Email Kingdom Trails and I'm sure they can give you a specific date. They also get closed when we get a lot of rain.

MC MasterShake
    Unfortunately, upper mountain is a crapshoot. I've seen it open as early as early May but then I've seen it closed most of the year because of excessive rain. I've even seen them close it after a rain even though the trails were perfectly dry (I hiked up to check). I found it's good to be on top of them as I don't think they go up there as often as they should and just close the trails assuming that they are in bad shape. Would love to see them convince the state to leave them open all the time and then do some major armor work on the troublespots. Basically, what they do on the North Shore in BC.

mtbr member
    ^^^Early June is rule of thumb, though as woodyak says, you can't set your watch by anything on the upper mountain. I don't ride the summit much, but I do know that early June has traditionally been the presumed opening for anything above the mountain road, Lower Jay Bar and Dead Moose included.
    -Chris