mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Burke Mountain trail closure?

Just visited the KTA site and saw the following notice:

Burke Bike Park & Burke Summit Trails are CLOSED due to landowner agreements.

Anyone know how to interpret this?

mtbr member

Re: Burke Mountain trail closure?

omg, I hope this is a temporary thing?

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    Just visited the KTA site and saw the following notice:

Burke Bike Park & Burke Summit Trails are CLOSED due to landowner agreements.

Anyone know how to interpret this?
    I don't know anything about it but it's odd that the burke bike park and mountain would have an 'ownership agreement issue' since it's all owned by Burke to my knowledge. Based on Burke's website they're still due to open on 6/8/13. Maybe an incorrect closed message was posted on the KT site? It does look very sloppy at the moment in that section.

Mountain » SkiBurke
    Burke Mountain & Burke Bike Park (Open June 8, 2013–Oct. 20, 2013)

mtbr member
    Doesn't the state own the land on the summit of the mountain(Darling State Forrest). I think that makes every vt taxpayer the owners.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    Doesn't the state own the land on the summit of the mountain(Darling State Forrest). I think that makes every vt taxpayer the owners.
    Burke Mountain Receives Findings for Master Plan Application

They might, from this it sounds like Burke owns most of it and they lease another 1/3rd of the total land from the state. But I like your way of thinking, as partial owner myself I vote that we open the lift to the summit for DH bike access.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Someone can correct me if I'm confusing KT with some place else, but I think the landowner agreement states the earliest allowable opening date. Thus, the trails on Burke Mountain are closed until June 8th because that is when the landowner agreement allows them to open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterVT View Post
    Someone can correct me if I'm confusing KT with some place else, but I think the landowner agreement states the earliest allowable opening date. Thus, the trails on Burke Mountain are closed until June 8th because that is when the landowner agreement allows them to open.
    Pretty sure this is correct.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzaboom View Post
    Pretty sure this is correct.
    Thanks guys,
    That sounds logical (and less serious) than I expected when reading the KTA site.

Ducks for Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterVT View Post
    This is the answer. Burke Mountain is also a ski resort. The June 8th date provides enough time for the resort to wrap up winter operations, snow to melt off of the bike trails (and for those trails to dry out a bit), and make sure the bike trails are ready for use.
    Burke mountain is also a large rock with thin soils. Before June, there are often a lot of muddy spots enhanced by water from melting snow. They want to make sure the bike trails aren't damaged by riding them under mud season conditions. This is also why the trails on the mountain close in the summer when there is a lot of rain.

vermonter
    Quote Originally Posted by from_the_nek View Post
    This is the answer. Burke Mountain is also a ski resort. The June 8th date provides enough time for the resort to wrap up winter operations, snow to melt off of the bike trails (and for those trails to dry out a bit), and make sure the bike trails are ready for use.
    Burke mountain is also a large rock with thin soils. Before June, there are often a lot of muddy spots enhanced by water from melting snow. They want to make sure the bike trails aren't damaged by riding them under mud season conditions. This is also why the trails on the mountain close in the summer when there is a lot of rain.
    CJ spoke about this last weekend at the NEMBA Trail school and they cannot open the trails on Burke MT until June by agreement.
    Brattleboro/Keene NEMBA officer and trail hero!