Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

bucksport,ellsworth,orland areas

Hey, noticed people were talking about trails up in bangor etc... in the technical trails thread. Thought maybe someone can fill me in on some riding spots while I'm up in maine on vaca in late august. I'll be staying in east orland i think, about 20 minutes to ellsworth. I know there's the obvious stuff at acadia, but.. not much for pure singletrack correct? places I ride around here are... bear brook, fort rock, LDTF, etc.... all mountain riding is my favorite, but.. open to good xc as well. Anyone have any suggestions to put on my hit list while I'm up there?
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

sinner
    Jan 2007
    Your about 20 minutes from Mt Waldo in Frankfort. The climb is a ***** but it is an All MTN wonderland if you like exposed granite and Shredable downhills. I can guide you if you want. I live close by.

mtbr member
    Is anything mapped out up there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchyjesus View Post
    Your about 20 minutes from Mt Waldo in Frankfort. The climb is a ***** but it is an All MTN wonderland if you like exposed granite and Shredable downhills. I can guide you if you want. I live close by.
    sure, sounds great. That sounds like my kinda riding. like I said we'll be up there end of august, I will look you up an get your info so we can hook up for some riding.
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

sinner
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian View Post
    Is anything mapped out up there?
    I have some GPS files of everything around here, but most stuff isn't mapped.

beer thief
    We stopped at Waldo about a month ago and had a blast. Butt kicking climb but we're somewhat used to that sort of thing; love riding on granite slabs. It was fairly easy to follow my nose and put a decent ride together but would have loved some local beta.

Photo of the lady suffering up the climb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bucksport,ellsworth,orland areas-waldo-4-large-.jpg  

sinner
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    We stopped at Waldo about a month ago and had a blast. Butt kicking climb but we're somewhat used to that sort of thing; love riding on granite slabs. It was fairly easy to follow my nose and put a decent ride together but would have loved some local beta.

Photo of the lady suffering up the climb.
    Did you find the singletrack descent to the quarry? That makes the climb worth it.

beer thief
    Did you find the singletrack descent to the quarry? That makes the climb worth it.
    Yes. We had a false start and had to climb up the upper slab again but found it on the second try. We didn't see any promising descents out of the quarry so we backtracked and went left on the doubletrack. Ended up right back at the van, almost like we knew where we were going.

Then we went to Camden and got a second ride in at the Snowbowl. Good times.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Love Waldo and the Bowl. Whole lot of awesomeness.

Natty Dread
    Camden is 1hr from East Orland. Growing singletrack and mtb scene there.
    Check my posts on this forum regarding the Ragged Mtn Fat tire fest.
    That'll give you plenty of details on the biking there. Enjoy Maine.

mtbr member
    so.. I thought I'd bring this thread back as I'm plannin on goin on vacation in a week or so. I'm definitely gonna check out camden snow bowl on... sunday the 14th I think, that's when the chair lift is open, so that should be a good time... hopefully weather cooperates. An hopefully hitting up mt waldo sometime either thursday or friday of that same week either the 18th or 19th. Would love some local guidance, or atleast some directions on a killer loop. Thanks,
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My crew rides Sundays @ 9:30. Often at the Snow Bowl. It could be a straight up xc ride or xc + more rugged stuff

sinner
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    so.. I thought I'd bring this thread back as I'm plannin on goin on vacation in a week or so. I'm definitely gonna check out camden snow bowl on... sunday the 14th I think, that's when the chair lift is open, so that should be a good time... hopefully weather cooperates. An hopefully hitting up mt waldo sometime either thursday or friday of that same week either the 18th or 19th. Would love some local guidance, or atleast some directions on a killer loop. Thanks,
    I can show you Waldo Thurs. Or Fri. But I work until 4. PM me if that could work for you.

mtbr member
    I will talk to my bro an see what he wants to do. I'm sure we may wanna get over there earlier in the day, but a guided tour is always better. I will definitely pm ya. Thanks
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info everyone, had my vacation last week. Sunday the 14th I was at the camden snobowl for the lift served riding. Some good stuff, the blue trail was fast and fun, got in about 6 or so runs, including hiking all the way to the top from the chair lift. Chair lift brings you about 3/4 of the way up.

Friday morning we hit waldo (had to force my bro to go, after hiking in acadia the day before) Started at mt waldo rd. climbed up the double track (wow, loose and steep!) made it up to the quarry, hiked around for a little while and found the trail up, climbed all the way up to the towers, took the same trail down (quarry descent) and found the descent from the quarry off the granite slab so about half way down the double track. That section was pretty knarly and steep!! Good stuff, love riding like that, it was awesome. Would've loved a local guide but... we only had the morning to ride and we found the good stuff. Plan to hit it up again the next time i'm up, prolly next year. Was wondering after you come down from the top to the quarry where the left turn goes once you get down to the side of the quarry?
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    May 2007

... and if we just ...

Thanks for all the info everyone, had my vacation last week. Sunday the 14th I was at the camden snobowl for the lift served riding. Some good stuff, the blue trail was fast and fun, got in about 6 or so runs, including hiking all the way to the top from the chair lift. Chair lift brings you about 3/4 of the way up.

Friday morning we hit waldo (had to force my bro to go, after hiking in acadia the day before) Started at mt waldo rd. climbed up the double track (wow, loose and steep!) made it up to the quarry, hiked around for a little while and found the trail up, climbed all the way up to the towers, took the same trail down (quarry descent) and found the descent from the quarry off the granite slab so about half way down the double track. That section was pretty knarly and steep!! Good stuff, love riding like that, it was awesome. Would've loved a local guide but... we only had the morning to ride and we found the good stuff. Plan to hit it up again the next time i'm up, prolly next year. Was wondering after you come down from the top to the quarry where the left turn goes once you get down to the side of the quarry?
    Glad you found Waldo. You definitely went up the side that you're supposed to go down on!

sinner
    Jan 2007

We usually start off a dirt rd (stagecoach I believe) and ride up the other side on the steep rock face to the towers and descend to the quarry. There is another trail off the Quarry trail that will bring you back around to other side called Goat Blower. Glad you found some stuff to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Ellsworth?

Hello,

I'll be around Bar Harbor next weekend. My wife has a conference and I'm tagging along, leaves me free to ride while she's stuck inside!

Searching the forums, it's clear that Arcadia is off limits as far as singletrack. Mt. Waldo doesn't seem TOO far, but it would sure be nice to find something around Ellsworth. Seems to be radio silence whenever anyone asks though.

Anyone???? Yeah, I know... you don't want a bunch of silly tourists wearing plaid sitting in the middle of the trail with cameras and maps out... but can you help a fellow rider out?

sinner
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by djb2 View Post
    Hello,

I'll be around Bar Harbor next weekend. My wife has a conference and I'm tagging along, leaves me free to ride while she's stuck inside!

Searching the forums, it's clear that Arcadia is off limits as far as singletrack. Mt. Waldo doesn't seem TOO far, but it would sure be nice to find something around Ellsworth. Seems to be radio silence whenever anyone asks though.

Anyone???? Yeah, I know... you don't want a bunch of silly tourists wearing plaid sitting in the middle of the trail with cameras and maps out... but can you help a fellow rider out?
    There really isn't anything in the Ellsworth area that I know of worth riding. There is some Public land around Tunk lake that has some ATV trails and some singletrack on it. It would be a get out your map exploring type of ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    There really isn't anything in the Ellsworth area that I know of worth riding. There is some Public land around Tunk lake that has some ATV trails and some singletrack on it. It would be a get out your map exploring type of ride.
    Itchy, since you've been up there, what would you recommend bringing:

1) Bring the F.S. bike and poke around the ATV trails, or
    2) Bring the comfort/cruising bike and ride Arcadia's carriage roads?

sinner
    Jan 2007
    If you are an adventurous person and like missions in the woods, Bring your MTB and go explore.

If you would like to log some miles, have some beautiful views and play tourist slalom, Bring your Cruiser. I would Ride some carriage trails for half the day and then drink local beers until your wife's conference is done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    play tourist slalom

Nice, I like that.

Sounds like a plan. Certainly nothing else like Acadia's views. I'll drink an extra post ride beer to thank you for your help.

act
    mtbr member

where's Waldo's singletrack?

I have some GPS files of everything around here, but most stuff isn't mapped.
    i'm up here for 1 week & tried out mt. waldo yesterday, which was super fun. came up over the top from the south & scrambled around on the granite dome for some time. found a wee bit of singletrack on the northeast & northwest edges, but missed finding the continuous run down to the quarry. might you be able to share your GPS file/s or give me a better description of how to link in to this? thanks.

sinner
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by act View Post
    i'm up here for 1 week & tried out mt. waldo yesterday, which was super fun. came up over the top from the south & scrambled around on the granite dome for some time. found a wee bit of singletrack on the northeast & northwest edges, but missed finding the continuous run down to the quarry. might you be able to share your GPS file/s or give me a better description of how to link in to this? thanks.
    PM sent

act
    mtbr member
    cool. i'm up for more granite dome fun & either day is good for me. is there a trailhead or parking area somewhere near the quarry / singletrack? the south side looked it hadn't been used in a while.

btw, i can't pm yet w/ mtbr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast