mtbr member

Bondcliff Bike and Hike

I did a daytrip bike/hike of Bondcliff last week with a buddy.

Nor'Easter Backcountry: Biking Bondcliff

This got us to thinking....what other long distance hikes in the Whites, Greens and 'Daks would present a good opportunity to use a bike?

beer thief
    Nice shots & TR!

In the early 80s a buddy & I did a trip from Zealand to the Kanc via Thoreau Falls & the Wilderness Trail. The Wilderness prohibition on bikes was not well known and we ignorantly went for it. The trip was more interesting due to a halloween party hangover, and a dusting of snow that forced a mile or two of walking over what would have been very rideable terrain. It was a major relief to hit the gentle downhill of the W trail.

I am sure there are more hidden gems out there for the adventurous. This post is about a Moat traverse i did a few years ago. And this one is about a couple local peaks we grabbed in winter.

I love poring over maps and finding obscure killer rides, I just don't do it enough. Living in paradise is tough.

the train keeps rollin
    Pretty sure the Daks is off limits to biking, but don't let that keep you down!

Crawford Ridgepole trail is supposed to be a good ride, about 12 miles in length.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Radair- Great... Now you have me dreaming of more bike adventures just as the season is coming to a close. I'm supposed to be getting amp'd about backcountry skiing and then you go posting stuff like that. Thanks alot.

Seriously though, I might need to get some studded tires and figure out how to carry my skis on the bike.

snowdrifter- I hadn't heard of that trail. I'll definitely need to check it out.

mtbr member
    I wish I had some time these days for trips like those. I'm thinking of a few quick bike/hike trips I'd like to do would be up in Glen, NH, pedaling up Jerico Rd as far as I can go and then ditch the bike and head up Stairs Mtn. The other would be to pedal out behind Whitehorse Ledge and do a quick hit hike up Middle Moat.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    ...Crawford Ridgepole trail is supposed to be a good ride, about 12 miles in length.
    The Ridgepole is pretty cool; incredibly scenic. I've done it a couple different ways and both require a lot of steep pushing/carrying. The ridge itself is nice with some fun, tight switchbacks on the western(?) end. I don't think it gets that much bike traffic so there always seems to be blowdowns. Such is life in New England.

When the skiing sucks the biking tends to be good (too often the case). Might as well be equipped for both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bondcliff Bike and Hike-lake-view.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm probably going to get spanked for admitting this, but we ride into the bond cliff trail every late fall. It does no trail damage, and honestly it seems ridiculous not to allow people to ride the entire railroad bed. The chance of getting caught starting next week is pretty slim, midweek that is, and the fine is $25 if you get caught. Using a bike as far as you can ride makes the round trip around 4 hours.

Riding round trip to 13 falls is also incredibly quick on a bike, and riding on all that smooth rock is really fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorealtitude View Post
    I'm probably going to get spanked for admitting this, but we ride into the bond cliff trail every late fall. It does no trail damage, and honestly it seems ridiculous not to allow people to ride the entire railroad bed. The chance of getting caught starting next week is pretty slim, midweek that is, and the fine is $25 if you get caught. Using a bike as far as you can ride makes the round trip around 4 hours.

Riding round trip to 13 falls is also incredibly quick on a bike, and riding on all that smooth rock is really fun.
    Your post made Ranger Rick cry.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorealtitude View Post
    I'm probably going to get spanked for admitting this...
    I'm not concerned with possible trail damage, I'm more concerned how Mountain Bikers are viewed by non-bikers and the USFS Rangers that some bikers are trying to partner with to develop trails in non-wilderness areas. Doesn't affect me directly, but as an ambassador to the sport I would politely speak to you about it if I saw you on a bike where you shouldn't be.
    Carry on.