MTB, Road, Commuting

Blackstrap Community Forest, Maine

What's the deal with this? I have heard these trails are great and decided to try them last weekend. I started at the trailhead on blackstrap road closest to mountain road. As soon as the trail got into the woods it was some double black diamond boulder gardens. The bridges have entrences that are a foot and a half off the ground with no way to get on them for any riders other than experts. The first 1/2 mile trail that I could ride was so muddy that I felt like I was going to damage it by being on it (even though most other trails aren't wet). So I retreated and went to Lowell preserve where I could ride all the trails and there was no mud at all.

So, did I just hit the hardest section or is the whole thing like that? I'm not an expert rider but I didn't think I sucked that much. IDK, maybe I do. And what about that water? Lowell Preserve is only a mile or so away and the whole place was dry vs. trail damage mucky.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Maine?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Sorry, yes. I changed the title in case there are others.

mtbr member
    You entered at the wrong spot. The best trail heads are at the cat place down past Babbage road on the right or on Hurricane rd. next to the turnpike. The section you did was built for hikers mainly.

That being said, it can get a little sloppy after it has rained.

Also, stop in at Allspeed bike shop for more info. They are the trail stewards.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Thanks! I was thinking it looked a little rough. I just picked the entrance that was closest to me that I saw parking for. What's the "cat place"? Kittys or tractors? I saw what looked like it was supposed to be a trailhead almost right across from Babbage but I didn't see any parking there. I didn't look that hard either because I knew I was heading to the spot up the hill.

Oh, and I took my novice wife out on this trip. She was like WTF is this! She had fun at Lowell. I'll have to give Blackstrap another try once it drys out.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Just go a little farther up Blackstrap past Babbidge road, look for a turnout/trailhead on the right... it's just before 'Happy Cats' (cat boarding), there are signs, boulders, and a chain across the entrance to keep motorized vehicles out in the summer... Start there. And get a map. There is an entrance across from Babbidge, just pull into the field a little and park, but thats not the best entrance. There is also a good entrance off Hurricane road, but the road could still be closed due to construction.
    In my experience, the trails are rugged, and a few places really need a rework.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The bridge on Hurricane Road across the turnpike is closed for construction. There is a parking area off Hurricane Road right before the bridge when coming from Blackstrap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You could also park in the lot of Hadlock Road, ride back up the road a bit and look for the trail on the right with the blue trail flag. That connects into Blackstrap and is a nice ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What kind of riding is this? I live in gray and mostly ride at Bradbury, looking for new exciting places to ride. I dig the flowy s.t and the few bridges Bradbury offers.. does this compare?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I would highly recommend it. Personally I like to ride in from the Hadlock Forest parking lot. You can take the White trail in to the Blue and then hit the Blackstrap connector. Ride to the top of the overlook via the Green trail and then depending on your preference you have some options for the decent. There are 3 more downhill oriented trails that descend off the overlook or you can continue to the other XC trails that are on the map. It is a great place to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. I'll have to definitely check it out before it's too cold!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Too cold? It doesn't get too cold, the tires just get fatter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    And spikier!

Although we try not to ride below 20F.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Love the attitude!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I commute from Raymond to Gray through the winter. Although I try not to ride below -20F. I just got a fatbike last year and I have 3, yes, 3 sets of studded tires.

Back on topic, I still haven't made it back to Blackstrap since my first failed attempt. I'm going to make it a goal this fall after all my weekend events are over.