Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

blackflies,mosquito's, ticks I hate'm they stink

black flies are attracted to dark colors. wearing a white helmet, shirt really reduces the amount of flies swarming around you, especialy if your riding buddies are wearing dark colors. they will be getting swarmed while you have only a few. deet can actualy attract more black flies but may not bite the treated area, but always seem to find the spot you missed. permethrin treated clothes will kill just about any insect that lands on them, but takes a few minutes. 3M Ultra-thon deet lotion works really good. these three things used in conjunction is the best bug prevention i have found. heres a link to "black flies"
    Colors That Attract Black Flies | eHow.com
    I stared this thread for tips and tricks for bug prevention and post your horror stories about your battle with bugs while in the woods. it's bug season in new england!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Here's my tip....don't stop...don't even slow down. And don't flat. Ticks...move north.

lurking since 1999
    Oct 2005
    I don't do too much. Long sleeve shirt, Bens 100% Deet. That stuff is probably not too good for you though. I re-apply when needed. I kinda wish there was a helmet with mesh on all the openings. Sometimes I feel like I'm just transporting black flies around the woods in my helmet.
    Like DaveV said, don't stop is probably the best thing. Flatting during the high bug season is torture.

mtbr member

good tip

if you have to stop? for any reason,snap off a couple of pine branches, or leaved branches then wave them around you and the person fixing a flat, or mechanical. [only works if you ride with others, if by yourself walk up the trail while changing a tube]keeps the the mosquito's, black flies at bay. what about deer flies when they show up?
    Last edited by lone ranger nh; 04-18-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: forgot this

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

non chemical solution

I hate the little baa))$$%s too......and they just think I am a tasty tidbit.

The chemicals have their place, but, when I have no choice but to stop, this is the answer. I carry mine in my pack at all times (biking and running), it folds up to a very small package and weights next to nothing....it has saved me many times. I have even worn it riding (think Pawtuckaway in May and June) the helmet fits nicely inside the head net. Might look a bit goofy, but I don't get bit.

link: Bug Baffler - Insect Protective Clothing

and, it is made in NH.

mtbr member
    nice, thanks for the tip. this is the stuff i'm talking about. here's one for deer flies, when you have a bunch of those CS'ers on your tail, STOP sit low to the ground, they will surprisingly go away. they like the chase.

Desert Seeker
    I'm not into the chemicals personally - as much as I hate the little buggers as well. I agree with the "don't stop" strategy. Flats? Get rid of the tubes and you won't have to worry about flats. I've been using tubeless ready rims with Stans and regular tires for years. After too many flats, I finally set up my son's bike with ghetto tubeless - works like a charm. Ghetto tubeless tutorial (use a 20" tube w/removable valve core for 26" rims)
    Haven't seen a tick in Northern VT for the 20 years I've been here (I know they must be there - I just haven't seen any). Hope this isn't the first year. Deer flies suck! I don't know what to do with them, but maybe I'll try that sit and wait strategy sometime.

sinner
    Jan 2007
    I don't wear deodorant and my man smell keeps them at bay.

Every ride needs a smelly hippy in the mix.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    For deer flies put a piece of wide double-sided tape on the back of your helmet... it won't repel, but it will catch them! Then you can have the satisfaction of watching them squirm while you crush each one with a pair of needle nosed pliers, or burn them with a lighter!!!

j/k on the pliers and lighter

cranktankerous Mainer
    Toddski’s bug tips-
    Black flies- Head net has been a life saver during other peoples mechanicals… I really don’t get mechanicals, but if I did, I pack a bug net. Also I let my hair grow longer to cover my ears and back of neck this time of year, hair is a good bug barrier, it’s how the cavemen did it.

Mosquitos- deet deet deet! Hippy sh!t don’t work. And you may know that they zone in and see your carbon monoxide exhaled, if I have to stop with a group I stand next to the biggest yap mouth, slow down my breathing and creep away holding my breath so yap mouth has the swarm of skeeters.

Horse flies drafting- yes just stopping, stay still and low gets rid of them, they are attracted to movement. Or I dump them off by passing a rider, or the old duck under a branch trick work sometimes.

Ticks- never really get big ticks attached, spray deet on my legs pretty good and I can usually always feel them walking on me right away. .. but I have been bitten by pesky deer ticks too many times to count over the years, never got a rash or other weird symptoms, just a super itchy puffy like a bee sting for a few days. I saw in a kung Fu movie, the bad guy would let snakes bite him to build an immunity to the poison and I think this has happened to me with the deer ticks… either that or they haven’t been attached longer than 24 hrs to transmit the disease.
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball

Competent User
    I'm getting the sense that, as this is my first spring riding in NH, it's going to get really bad with the bugs, and I have no idea how bad yet.

lurking since 1999
    Oct 2005
    You should bike without any bug protection so you do have an idea of how bad it can get.
    Only kidding

mtbr member

it puts the lotion on the skin when it's told or it gets the hose

3m ultraton lotion .give it a try. harder to put on than spray , but works twice as good! 35% deet. sweat resistent, time release. watch the bugs bounce off.

One-Winged Angel
    I got a tick yesterday... little bugger popped off without his head, touch took an extra 20 mins to get out.

I have some natural stuff with citronella, mint, and some other plant oils. It keeps just about everything at bay but they still hover... they're still thinking about it. Still I'd rather use that then in ten years end up fathering a two headed mutant baby cuz I used too much Deet back in the day. :/

mtbr member

Moderator Moderator
    Off Botanicals is quite good if you're not crazy about DEET or just the stink of regular bugspray. Feels like hand cream and smells good. It's hard to find though, try soap.com if you don't see it in the store.

customized
    Sep 2003
    All Terrain Herbal Armor works fairly well on most of the buggies. Re-application is important during the ride.

After much research, it seems that 25% deet on exposed skin and Permethrin on your clothing is the best against the ticks. The 3M lotion sounds great.

Lots of good ideas thanks. Toddski... your hilarious.

Competent User
    Saw some mosquitos swarming me at Musquash today. That means it's gonna get worse real soon. I hadn't even brought any repellent. Never again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No bugs up here north of the Notches, yet, after all it is still April. Bugs usually don't start until mid May up here. Riding fast is the best remedy.
    Light colored clothing really works? Time to dig out the old tennis whites.

mtbr member
    pulled 3 ticks off me yesterday after doing trail work. forgot to put on the deet. then put on some 3-m, no more ticks. blackflies weren't to bad, only a few. mother nature has helped us out with the with the bugs so far. the drier it stays the less bugs there will be. unfortunlety mosquito's eggs are just sitting there waiting for conditions to be right to hatch. i want a drought!

mtbr member
    Lone ranger, thanks for the tips. About that permethrine which i've never heard of; i see it is meant for clothing and not for skin. Seems to be marketed towards the fish and game community. What about us mountain bikers that will be sweating heavily through our permethrine clothing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I got a tick yesterday... little bugger popped off without his head, touch took an extra 20 mins to get out.

I have some natural stuff with citronella, mint, and some other plant oils. It keeps just about everything at bay but they still hover... they're still thinking about it. Still I'd rather use that then in ten years end up fathering a two headed mutant baby cuz I used too much Deet back in the day. :/
    Pick up one of these at a pet store for a couple bucks...never used one on myself or my wife but used one a few times on the dog..just spin the sucker and the tick pops out head and all

The O'TOM / TICK TWISTER® to remove ticks: Official Website

mtbr member
    I cannot tell you how many ticks I've pulled off of me this spring. It's getting ridiculous. I'm averaging 2-3 per ride. I get horrible skin allergies using deet unfortunately, so my only prevention has been vigilant tick checks at every stop and a thorough check in the shower after the ride. Knock on wood, they've all been dog ticks and they've just been crawling (never been bitten by one), but they still scare the crud out of me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I picked up a Tick Key at REI a few weeks ago for our dog as she seems to bring ticks in with her regularly. It works well at removing ticks.

Tick Key Home - The Easiest To Use Tick Removal Device On Earth
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast