mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Biking around Mount Washington, NH

I want to bike a little bit around Mount Washington next monday. Coming from Europe I was shocked that it is not allowed to cyle up the Mount Washington Auto Route. As I bring my bike with both road and mtb tires I would be up for anything. Are there other nice peaks around Mount Washington with nice view and also high elevation that can be reached by either road or mountainbike? Thx for answers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    riding yer bike up mt Washington is fair game at night/wee hours. just be discreet

rog

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I donīt know if thatīs the best idea when I am going alone and do not know the area at all...! You are planning to go by any chance next monday?!?!?!?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    uh you can't really get lost. there is a small cul de sac at mile marker 11 that could throw you off, I suppose.

Monday I will be at the beach most likely

rog

mtbr member

The Whites are old mountains, and pretty tough to ascend to summit by mountain bike on trail. There is some great riding in North Conway, and in Gorham. There are a few steep roads to climb for views, like Weeks state park to the fire tower. The road riding is spectacular just going around the presidential range. Stay off the mt wash auto rd.

mtbr member
    A good road ride would be through either Crawford or Pinkham Notch. Good wide roads and plenty of climbing.

You are only 1.5 hours from Kingdom Trails in Vermont. Definitely worth a day trip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    don't be such a pansy a$$ schott. the road is fair game. at night.

rog

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thx for all the answers! The Weeks State Park Rd looks definitely very nice - need to think about that! Also Crawford and Pinkham Notch seem to be nice roads - is there a lot of traffic???

Concerning Mountainbiking, I just fund Bradbury Mountain State Park, which would be lying almost on my direct way back home and I just have one day to spend (as I already booked a room in Acadia Nat Park)! I guess from the sceneries the Mt Washington Region is better, but not knowing either of both regions, bikewise Bradbury might be nice as well?!?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    For the road bike all of the notches in the area are nice. Traffic in the notches is typically low to moderate. They are paving 6+ miles of rt. 302 in Crawford Notch now so I might stay away from that one. Combining notches makes for some nice 40-100+mile loops. For mountain bike climbs you probably can't beat Red Tail to the the top of Black Cap or Moat mountain trails to the top of Whitehorse in the area.

mtbr member
    THere are lots of trails in the valley in view of the summits of the presidentials.
    Bretton Woods (cross-country) Topo Map

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    don't be such a pansy a$$ schott. the road is fair game. at night.

rog
    It's privately owned, day and night. You are advising a total stranger to do something illegal and potentially dangerous. Don't be a jerk face.

*edit
    Last edited by Schott; 08-01-2013 at 05:35 AM.

mtbr member

Bradbury is awesome, but pretty darn rooty. Full suss would be nice to have, I always leave feeling a little rattled on my hard tail.

mtbr member
    Bradbury is a great spot in Maine. Definitely worth a stop on your way. Stay to the east side of the road. $3 fee. Some trails are a bit rooty and technical(O trail, Fox east, Ginn, Island) and some are flowy and fast(Knight Woods, Ragan, Lanzo). There are more trails than what the online map shows. Most trail intersections have updated trail maps posted so you can pick a route on the fly.

mtbr member
    Depending on your comings and goings, Waterville Valley has some good riding with lift service. But even from the valley floor, there is access to a great mix of riding. I admit that I haven't ridden there for years, but back when I worked there on skis--I had occasion to ride the area several times. I imagine its only improved since.

Moderator Moderator
    We did a nice loop with lots of variety a few weeks ago. We 3 MTBR Commuters - NH Meet- Up 7/20/13 28-30 miles including ice cream detour toward Attitash

Sabbaday Falls lot on Kanc (rte 112) - west on 112 - north on Sawyer River Trail (small trailhead sign, wet feet possible), continue on to long downhill on Sawyer River Rd (dirt forest road) - east on 302 - south on Bear Notch Rd (big paved climb with very low traffic) - west on 112 back to the lot. On the Rob Brook map sold a local bike shops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    There are a few steep roads to climb for views, like Weeks state park to the fire tower. The road riding is spectacular just going around the presidential range.
    The Weeks State Park sounds very nice. I might try that tomorrow. Would you just go up the road starting from Road 3 or is there a small nice cirlce of some miles to get the muscles warmed up? ;-)

mtbr member

Sorry I missed that last question, glad you figured it all out. Was nice meeting you randomly this morning. Have a safe trip home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks again for all the help! Went up and down Pinkham Notch real quick and then home! Hope the race went well today. Could not find anything about it online! Good meeting you! Once I come back to NH I will let you know!