mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Which bikes for Acadia and recommended rides

Hi Everyone, My wife and I will be visiting Acadia for the first time in mid September. We're staying in Bar Harbor. Which bikes should we bring? She has a road and a hardtail mtn bike, I have a road, CX (with either 32mm road tires or 35mm CX tires) or a FS mtn bike. We won't be doing any serious mountain biking, but I'm wondering if any of the roads are dirt or too rough for 23mm tires.

I'd also love recommendations for rides. She'll do up to 20 miles on the road, maybe a bit more up there since we'll be making frequent stops to enjoy the scenery. If there's any must-do rides significantly longer than 20 miles, let me know. I'll at least look into them.

Thanks in advance!
    For Sale:
    -Pearl Izumi Barrier rain pants, new, mens medium: $75 shipped
    -Shimano triple crankset/isis BB $50 - PM me

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would probably skip the FS. I haven't ridden there in years but if I was to go back now I'd for sure bring my CX bike.

I can't quite remember the riding but I believe looping around Eagle Pond (if that is even the place) is sort of a classic.

I'm sure you'll get more feedback from others, but I love Acadia so enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    I would probably skip the FS. I haven't ridden there in years but if I was to go back now I'd for sure bring my CX bike.
    This. TONS of great gravel riding all over the island!!

mtbr member
    She should bring the HT and you should bring either the CX or FS bike. I would bring the FS bike as there is always a chance you might find some single-track outside the park. A good stop-over on the way is to ride Bradbury State Park outside Freeport.

Mount some slick or semi-slicks on the bikes. Perfect for riding the access roads and the carriage roads around the park. Plenty of miles and scenery to be had right in the park. Also a good road climb up Cadillac mountain if you are feeling energetic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Bring them all! But seriously, I brought my FS when I went last year, and it was totally overkill. My mom did most of the rides on her hybrid with zero suspension, and she almost never goes biking. I'd say the cx bike and the hard tail with slicks on it.
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY

mtbr member
    Skip the FS. Mostly carriage roads anyway. The loop around Jordan Pond is great in my opinion. Don't be afraid to link a bunch of carriage roads together - all easy with only some moderate, short climbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The gravel riding on the carriage roads really is pretty nice since they are and well kept up and you can go a long way. It is definitely not MTB riding but would be good on a CX or hard tail but might be a bit rough for a road bike for any distance. One other thing which I have had fun with in the off season is road riding on the park loop road which is nice as well. Going up Cadillac actually isn't very tough since the grade isn't all that steep but it's fairly long and a nice ride down.
    Meanwhile the hiking is nice especially if you can string a few peaks together into a longer hike. Forget swimming in the ocean but the ponds should still be refreshing if you aren't there too late in September - Echo Lake is easy to get to from the road. Be sure to have breakfast at 2 Cats and dinner at Galyns and/or the Side Street Cafe. We didn't make it to Bar Harbor this year and miss it but will be there next summer. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    I also second 2Cats (breakfast) and Side Street Cafe (lunch and dinner) for dining. And sticky buns from Morning Glory Bakery (get there early if you want them)!

mtbr member
    Followed up by a cone of Moose Tracks at CJ's Big Dipper (They pack the biggest bowl in town!)

Just got back from my 8th visit to Acadia two weeks ago, love that place.

CX bike or Hardtail is great for carriage road stuff...

cranktankerous Mainer
    Totally leave the FS bike at home if your only riding MDI. I have always ridden my hard tail, locked out with semi-slicks... but my front ring is never big enough for the speed. This year, I'm bringing my new CrossRip with some fatties. I really enjoy the Carriage Roads late in the day and riding into Bah Habah at nightfall.

Check out the dirt roads around Seal Cove Pond over in Southwest Harbor, those are a nice spin too.
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball

mtbr member
    Gotta ride up Cadillac too. Beautiful piece of pavement. Then to town for bocce at lampoc

mtbr member
    One of my favorite restaurants is Sips in SW Harbor. Great Mohitos at Testas in BH though.

Will be sailing up to NE Harbor in a few weeks to do some hiking and maybe some biking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Some awesome suggestions here, thanks a lot everyone. I'll pick up a set of tires good for gravel and pavement for my wife's HT (recently sold a set, oops). I'll also throw the CX tires on my Crosscheck. That'll be good too because I have fenders and a rack for it so we can bring lunch/extra clothing with us.
    For Sale:
    -Pearl Izumi Barrier rain pants, new, mens medium: $75 shipped
    -Shimano triple crankset/isis BB $50 - PM me

mtbr member
    Brett, I have two Kenda Kross Plus tires for sale if you are interested. $20 for the set and you can pick them up in Portland on your way through. They have about 10 miles on them.

Amazon.com: Kenda Kross Plus Wire, 26 x 1.95-Inch: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Mojitos @ Testas is a must....the guy is a pro.

Also, Margaritas @ Gringos (next to Lompoc and the Thai place)

Lompoc is fun, but I've always been let down by the food.

cranktankerous Mainer

Also, if your wife wants to quit early and you still want to keep riding, she can always hop on one of the free MDI buses and get a ride back into town. The buses have bike racks on the front... or you could use the bus to shuttle start out to a far point on the island and ride back. That's a great idea to put the rack on the bike so you can haul some extra day trip stuff, much better than driving around in a car.

cranktankerous Mainer

This is one of my favorite loops on the carriage roads. 29.4 miles in 2 hrs, but there are many variations and its all good!Which bikes for Acadia and recommended rides-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375365045.831386.jpg