mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bike rental/demo for the Vermont 50?

i am signed up, will be coming from out of state. I can bring my bike of course, but wondering if I can skip the hassle/expense and rent a nice bike for 24 hrs, nearby or reasonably close. I will be coming up from Boston most likely.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    cross bike. the 50 is smooth with a **** ton of dirt road riding. not really a mtb course.

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not nearby. Area shops have mostly given up on MTB rentals - they get too beat up. The only ones available are cheap, heavy ones. No bike rep is going to knowingly put you out on a demo for 50 miles.

Nothing in the 50 is very technical, but the last 20 miles is mostly singletrack. If you are a very good rider, and very competitive, a cross bike may give you enough of an advantage on the roads and double-track, but anyone I know who has gone skinnier and slicker has regretted it. But definitely include a lot of road riding in your training.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good to know. Sounds like a hardtail course. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Good to know. Sounds like a hardtail course. Thanks.
    full rigid mo bettah.

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If anyone wants to sell their registration for this, let me know. I'm cool riding as someone else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Jim-- Went to the VT MTB Fest at Ascutney--great time but did not get on parts of the system. Have Wind Up & Broadway U & L been built? I am going there Friday with some friends. The stabvt.org site was down today... somebody needs to run 1 chairlift with enough vert to build a Highlands/ Burke type park---and add all the xc singletrack and lodging and you got a Destination... And make it a backcountry telemark destination.... Damnation

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    riding ascutney area is 100 times better than burke, imo

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by damnation View Post
    Jim-- Went to the VT MTB Fest at Ascutney--great time but did not get on parts of the system. Have Wind Up & Broadway U & L been built? I am going there Friday with some friends. The stabvt.org site was down today... somebody needs to run 1 chairlift with enough vert to build a Highlands/ Burke type park---and add all the xc singletrack and lodging and you got a Destination... And make it a backcountry telemark destination.... Damnation
    Wind Up is done. Here's a pic from the fest, with several ride groups climbing it. It's a climb that most anyone can do - traversing a ski slope, back and forth, switching back in the trees. Coming down, the tight, banked turns are too challenging for novices, but a lot of fun for everyone else. Upper and Lower Broadway may have to wait 'til spring - tough to lay out a trail in four feet of grass and scrub.bike rental/demo for the Vermont 50?-wind-up.jpg
    After 3 years of court battles, it's finally determined what creditor owns the ski area. Hopefully they can now find a buyer who might do a DH park. Any takers?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    riding ascutney area is 100 times better than burke, imo

rog
    Thanks, Rog. I've been amazed at how slowly the word of mouth has been getting out about Ascutney Trails. It has exploded since the Vt MTB Fest - to the point where you actually might see someone else on the trails. I wonder if a lot of people equate the VT50 route with the trail selection at Ascutney.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by damnation View Post
    And make it a backcountry telemark destination.... Damnation
    Here's what you'll find, if you're willing to climb:

mtbr member

bike rental/demo for the Vermont 50?

I would rent a HT 29er for the 50

mtbr member
    Bike Rental - www.goodalesbikeshop.com This place is near rt 93 in Hooksett, NH. Probably others if You search.