mtbr member

Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour

Last year I did a bikepacking/kayaking/hiking trip in Maine at Baxter State Park. This year I decided to stay closer to home and sample a bunch of that VT singletrack that I had not yet ridden. And I wanted to ride between locales with my camping gear. And I wanted to do it on the 10 rainiest days of the year . When I first envisioned the trip, I scribbled down 17 days of biking in no time - but I had to pare that down a bit. So if your favorite spot was left off the tour, it was only due to "so many trails, so little time", or because I've already ridden there.

Here's the itinerary, by day:
    1. Left after work in Graniteville, camped at Smugglers Notch St Pk in Stowe ($2 bus boost from Barre to Stowe)
    2. Rode up Smuggs Notch and on Stowe Trails
    3. Rode to Hinesburg
    4. Rained out at Hinesburg Town Forest, moved on to Branbury St Pk Salisbury
    5. Rode at Moosalamoo, USFS Rd 40 (bridge out, unlabeled), Chandler Ridge, Silver Lake, Leicester Hollow, Minnie Baker trails
    6. Rode to Gifford Woods St Pk, Killington
    7. Rain/rest day
    8. Rode at Rutland's Pine Hill Park ($2 bus boost from Killington)
    9. Rode at Green Mtn Trails, Pittsfield
    10. Rode to Waitsfield
    11. Home to Barre Town!

I loved the combination of self-contained bike-touring/camping but then light-weighting the bike for trailriding.
    Some pix...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour-1.jpg  

Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour-2.jpg  

Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour-3.jpg  

Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour-4-640x480-.jpg  

Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour-5.jpg  

Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour-6a.jpg  

Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour-7-480x640-.jpg  

Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour-8-480x640-.jpg  

Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour-9-640x480-.jpg  

Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour-10-480x640-.jpg  

mtbr member

Great Trip!

Nice plan to hit some great spots....making it a ride to the ride areas was pretty awsome...I recognize some of the places in the pictures....the crossing at GMNF in Pittsfield is classic....an I beam sideways to expose the web side......thanks for sharing the pics and story.....Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

weirdo
    ...and another adventurous bridge

Enjoyed the pics, Xplorer.
    The ride-explore-ride plan was a great idea indeed. Thanks for the new and improved trip report!

mtbr member
    Cool. Looks like a nice time was had, with plenty of biking involved.

I'm hoping to do a mini-tour of VT next summer, hit up STAB, Green Mountain trails, Stowe, and then Kingdom trails. I'll have to drive of course, but I'll camp out near all of the trails.

Thanks for pics.

mtbr member
    A group of bikepackers came through about a week before you did. I saw your name in the register and thought that maybe you were following the same route. They took forest roads and trails from the Mass border to Canada and their route included GMT, Contest Trail, Moosalamoo, Waitsfield, Perry Hill, Stowe and The Kingdom. It looks like an incredible adventure. I'd like to pick up some gear and try it next year.

A bridge builder jerry rigged that ibeam bridge so he could start working on the permanent bridge (which got stalled indefinitely). Its been almost a year that he placed it there. I thought people would hate it. That goes to show what I know.

mtbr member
    ^^haha, yeah, that is pretty cool "temporary" bridge. I also enjoyed Fuster's uphill, which I saw later on the map was recommended in the other direction.

Thought I might run into you but it wasn't a very nice day - in fact, I was happy to duck into the stone cabin at the top for a few minutes to warm up and let the worst blow over.

Coincidentally, someone at work today told me about those bikepackers too (he knows one). Very cool, but I've concluded I'm not strong enough to really enjoy the trails fully loaded - it was great to leave my gear at the campground and do the trailriding on a lighter bike.

I enjoyed your trails, thanks for all the work! A couple more pix you'll recognize...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour-pa062444-640x480-.jpg  

Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour-pa062443-640x480-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome. Looks like an awesome trip. Woulda been nice if it was all sunny that woulda just made it too easy.

mtbr member
    I'm in the middle of a lot of "off the map" trail work, so I don't see many riders at all these days. I love uphill Fusters! There's a way to do the bottom section of Fusters and cut down and loop around to The Stairs, but I haven't marked it yet. The flow on that section, prior to the switchbacks, is super fun. Nice shots. Glad you enjoyed it. Next season the stone cabin could be available for camping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaab70 View Post
    Next season the stone cabin could be available for camping.
    Nice! For anyone who hasn't been, the view from the stone cabin is the pic below it.

Are you planning on producing a better map for sale? That would be my suggestion - not that I got lost, I just like a good map and wondered where that devil's throat trail was until I stumbled across it. $5 and a few local ads on it maybe?

mtbr member
    You read my mind. That's my top priority during the off season. I've been delaying it since I knew I would be creating a bunch of stuff during the wonderfully long season this year. There is a list of about six trails now that are unmapped, not just Devil's Throat. If you know of any decent map makers I'm open to suggestions and would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaab70 View Post
    ... If you know of any decent map makers I'm open to suggestions and would appreciate it.
    My only experience is using their maps, but here's who made some of them:

Millstone: grassroots GIS, Underhill VT
    Stowe: sinuosity.net
    KT: FLEK, Inc.