Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best tires for NH?

Hey guys its that time again, time for new tires. What is your favorite tubless tire for our NH trails? Im currently running Cont. Race King 29 2.2's. Nice light race tire but thin side walls IMO.

Competent User
    Maxxis Ardent up front, Schwalbe Nobby Nic in rear. I went out yesterday, in the wet, and couldn't believe how well that rear stuck to the slipper leaves and rocks.

I've read the Nobby Nics have thin sidewalls (and they feel like they do) but I'm running tubeless over all the rocks and stuff, and I don't have the snakeskin version, and I'm still good to go. My Ardent is a LUST tire with the strong sidewalls.

These are both on a 29er.

You can also check out this thread I posted earlier on the year, asking exactly the same thing.

mtbr member
    I am a fan of the WTB Bronson grips and sheds mud quite well I run a Kenda Nevagal up front which I am not in love with.

I'd Huck That....
    Kenda Nevagal 2.5 front- 2.3 rear DH casing. on my 26" allmountain bike.

mtbr member

Depends on the time of year

I have been running the IRD Fire Pro 29ers all year. They are not the best race tire, but all but one of my offroad events was done in wet conditions this year. They are also not the plushest, but I am running them at 20 PSI front and rear tubeless. This time of year they are just awesome for trail riding with the wet, leafy, damp conditions.

mtbr member
    Thanks for replys guys and the link to the other thread asking the same question. Im leaning towards the Maxxis Ardent's. Any thoughts on these?

Go Bruins!
    Ardents are great rear tires for NH, but they have a large volume casing that can make for difficult frame clearance. I know they barely cleared my frame on a Giant TranceX. Keep that in mind since I don't know what kind of bike you own.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ooctrl View Post
    Ardents are great rear tires for NH, but they have a large volume casing that can make for difficult frame clearance. I know they barely cleared my frame on a Giant TranceX. Keep that in mind since I don't know what kind of bike you own.
    I have a Yeti Big Top so that may be a problem.

Competent User
    I have an Ardent on the front, which I like very much. If you're running tubeless, make sure to get the LUST or EXO versions, because the regular ones aren't so tough, and I've sliced a sidewall.

I used it on the back for a while, and while it was better than the Spec. Captain that came stock, the Nobby Nic was much better in terms of climbing traction.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    Maxxis Ardent up front, Schwalbe Nobby Nic in rear. I went out yesterday, in the wet, and couldn't believe how well that rear stuck to the slipper leaves and rocks.

I've read the Nobby Nics have thin sidewalls (and they feel like they do) but I'm running tubeless over all the rocks and stuff, and I don't have the snakeskin version, and I'm still good to go. My Ardent is a LUST tire with the strong sidewalls.

These are both on a 29er.

You can also check out this thread I posted earlier on the year, asking exactly the same thing.
    If you have an Evolution Nobby Nic, it is Snakeskin. They don't make a non Snakeskin 29r unless you are running the "Performance" Nic.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo SS up front, Nobby Nic Evo SS in rear = happy rock and root eaters

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    If you have an Evolution Nobby Nic, it is Snakeskin. They don't make a non Snakeskin 29r unless you are running the "Performance" Nic.
    It is a Performance.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepeRst View Post
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo SS up front, Nobby Nic Evo SS in rear = happy rock and root eaters
    For fall, this is my choice as well. For dry Nobby Nic 2.25 or 2.35 Front and Racing Ralph 2.25 rear. A bit wetter a Nobby Nic 2.25 in the rear.

Tried out the Conti Mountain King Protection in 2.2. That is not a bad tire either. Not great rolling and a little slicker on wet wood but overall I was pleased with it. I did not try it on the front, however.
    The Ardent, for me, slipped in spots the Schwalbes do not. These spots are rootly climbs. I'd say they slip around 10% more in the same spot than a Schwalbe Nobby Nic. Folks love them though and I can see why. They are great tires.
    I tried out the Panaracer Driver tire this summer front and rear. That tire will surprise you with how much traction it has for a fast rolling tire. I would not run it in the fall or anywhere there are knarly downhills though. Not enough penetration.

the train keeps rollin
    29x2.25 Nobby Nics, front n rear. I have a set of 29x2.35 tubeless ready, if someone is looking. 20 miles on them, too much girth for me.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Yesterday I was at Souhegan Cycleworks talking tires with the owner. Come to find out the gentleman that designed the Maxxis Ardent lives in NH and visits the store. The Ardent was designed for and tested on NH trails!

see me rollin, they hatin
    i've got the snakeskin nics. i'm not one for slicing tires, but they feel very soft. i love the grip. are they durable at all? (you'd think for the price!)
    fap

Competent User
    I just noticed today that the outer nobbys on my nics are finally starting to get chewed up. Given the rocks around here, I'm not surprised. They work for now, but I'm guessing they'll need replacement next year.

mtbr member
    I'll take a fast wearing tire that grips over one that doesn't any day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Been riding Spec Captain Controls 2.0 tubeless this fall and have been happy with them.
    Took me a few rides to get the pressures right but 23f/27r on my 29er (I'm about 180lbs right now with my gear on).

mtbr member
    has anyone tried the tioga psycho genius? my nevagals have been great but I wouldn't mind a faster rolling tire.
    Last edited by mission2; 11-28-2012 at 05:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    rubber tires have worked for me for over 2 decades. no complaints yet

rog

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I run Ardents front and rear. No issues with right pressure settings. Play around with different pressures. It makes a difference when you're going tubeless.

mtbr member
    I run tubeless schwalbe rocket Ron's on my 29. I loved them from the get go, loads of grip on roots and rocks, and corners really well. After a season of hard riding, a couple of endurance events, and a few urban assault downhill sessions, the knobs seem to be dropping like flys. Sidewalls are a bit soft and gashed one in a rocky section a couple of weeks ago. Threw in a dollar bill and a tube and my lazy ass has been riding it since. Looks like the Schwalbes are pretty popular, but the short time I spent on an Ardent was a ton of fun as well.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Those Rocket Rons are superlight tires. I'm surprised they've lasted that long.

mtbr member
    Light but fast.....and like I said, grip grip grip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast