Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    in all cerealness i've been rocking the maxis ignitor 29er tires since 05'. run em on my rigid indy fab at 25psi with tubes. they work everywhere in all conditions extremely well. rode em at stratham alps this morning in 20 degree temps and snowcovered trails, perfect.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    Those Rocket Rons are superlight tires. I'm surprised they've lasted that long.
    rocket rons svck. got 2 rides out of a pair on my scott spark carbon before i shredded sidewalls in n-con. never again. plus shwalbys are stupid expensive.

rog

Fat on Willand Pond
    Been really diggin the WTB Bronson 2.3 up front combined with a Maxxis Ardent 2.25 rear...seems like the perfect combo.

Hey newmarketrog - Where can I find the stratham alps?....same as stratham hill park?
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Been really diggin the WTB Bronson 2.3 up front combined with a Maxxis Ardent 2.25 rear...seems like the perfect combo.

Hey newmarketrog - Where can I find the stratham alps?....same as stratham hill park?
    I ran this same combo and loved it but the ardent sidewall got cut in fort rock after 50 miles. know I have a nevgal in the back. Stratham alps is stratham hill park.

mtbr member
    I've been running WTB Velociraptors, I mostly ride in northern NH. Great economical tires with enough grip for me.

mtbr member
    The last four years I have been running bontregers big earls, and than FR4 2.35-2.4 on my 26er
    loved the FR4s on the trail felt to soft on the road. never got a flat in over 2 years on them. I did blow out the side wall on a FR4 landing sideways, ripped the tire off the rim but seated it back on the rim after with a hand pump. I run Nevagals 2.35 on my 275, but i just ordered nutty nics

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Best tires for NH?

I'm running ardent 29x2.25 front and rear currently. Pretty nice mostly, but it seems like the trails I ride in southern nh have a lot of perfectly wrong off camber sections, particularly for the ardent as a front tire. Anyone try the ikon out in that area?

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by dbraxis View Post
    I'm running ardent 29x2.25 front and rear currently. Pretty nice mostly, but it seems like the trails I ride in southern nh have a lot of perfectly wrong off camber sections, particularly for the ardent as a front tire. Anyone try the ikon out in that area?
    I've never ridden the Ikon. In my mind's eye I picture it being less adept at off camber sections due to the much shorter knobs. I've heard it is a great tire for what it is designed for. I am not knocking it. The Ikon is a faster rolling tire where as the Ardent is made for grip.
    Maybe a 2.4 Ardent in the front or one of the new Maxxis 29r tires that seem to be getting a lot of praise?
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ooctrl View Post
    Ardents are great rear tires for NH, but they have a large volume casing that can make for difficult frame clearance. I know they barely cleared my frame on a Giant TranceX. Keep that in mind since I don't know what kind of bike you own.
    I much prefer the Ardent as a front tire than a rear. On steep loose terrain they slide out a bit much for my taste with their ramped knobs. I love them as a front tire though for trail riding. They are a bit heavy as a race tire. I would also say that for the east coast, the exo casing will do just fine for sidewall protection. The LUSTs are excessively heavy and with sidewalls that are overkill for our terrain IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2