Competent User

Best Tire for Southern New Hampshire Trails?

I just noticed the tire on my 3 month old Camber 29er has a big ol' tear in the sidewall. The tube is still holding the air in, but I've gotta replace it soon. It's a Specialized Captain tire, but I'm curious what you've all had the best luck with in our rooty, rocky forests. I asked the folks at the bike shop, and they didn't really tell me anything specific or useful.

I've mostly ridden at Musquash in Londonderry, Hampstead, and FOMBA.

I'm also going to do a tubeless conversion in the near future, so I need it to be tubeless ready. I'd appreciate any wisdom and experience you can lend me and thanks!

Go Bruins!
    I go with a big front in the 2.2-2.4 range. I have had the most
    luck with the nevegal so far, but I like the minion, rampage and
    the 2.4 ardent based on the tread pattern. In the back, I've ridden
    the nevegal, ardent 2.25, Michelin wild rock'r, conti mountain king,
    ignitor, and a bunch of different specialized including the captain. The
    ardent is my favorite right now, but I am interested in a couple of schwalbe
    tires like the hans def and fat albert. Feeling secure in the front is key. You
    can ride nearly anything in the back as long as it sticks the climbs and doesn't flat.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I ride those same areas every week. I'm currently using a nevegal 2.35 DTC folding in the front and a Conti 2.4 mountain king folding in the rear. Fast and stable. The conti made a big difference in climbing some of the looser hills in 'squash.

You should also check out this thread in the MA forum

forums.mtbr.com/massachusetts/what-tires-do-you-run-ma-new-england-786600.html

Competent User
    Thanks guys.

I had read through that thread a while back, but lost track of where it was. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I've run the Hans Dampf and nevegals (DTC rear, stick-e front), both 2.35 on the same bike, swapping back and forth on occasion. I saw that you mentioned both of these tires, so I thought I'd chime in. The Nevegal does offer better wet traction without a doubt, but the HD rolls so much nicer that I feel slow and clunky when I switch back to the nev's. The one thing I dislike about the HD is that the rear does not track well on wet roots/rocks, at least when compared to the nevegal. In all other traction areas, they both grip extremely well.

That said, I prefer the HD's, only because there is a measurable difference in rolling resistance and smoothness on the highly accurate and scientific 'butt dyno' when compared to the nevegals.

mtbr member
    Small block 8 for me

think
    Jul 2008
    A lot of guys (including myself) are running Maxxis Ardents. Good compromise tire for this area.

Ride and Smile suckas
    +1 for the Ardents.. They hold up very well on the NH/MA/VT rocky stuff.
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    had awesome luck with my Conti mountain king 2's, I have the 2.4 protection with black chili front and back.. set up tubeless for the past 10 months, only had to add a tiny bit of stans a few weeks back. I love em. I have a few buddies with nevegals and the lugs are all ripping off.. junk imo...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    I ride a 29er. Rampage up front. 2.1 cross mark in the back. Many miles of abuse at Exeter. I am trying to destroy them so I can mount up a 2.4 ardent in front. Great cheap setup. Cross marks only setback is traction in greasy mud.

mtbr member
    I ran with Nevegals a few years ago because it was the most recommended. They didn't last long in the rocky rough. My vote goes towards the Conti Mtn King with the Protection and the black chilli compound. Sidewalls will then be the last of your problems.

Competent User
    The new Mountain Kings are the ones I'm leaning towards most. Or Maxxis Ardents. The sidewalls of my current rear tire have undergone a lot of scraping.

hey, thanks everyone for your thoughts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    A lot of guys (including myself) are running Maxxis Ardents. Good compromise tire for this area.
    What size/duro you running?

think
    Jul 2008
    26x2.25 EXO 60A on my bike. I don't think the 2.4 traction advantage is worth the weight - I would chose 2.5 single ply Minions at that point. I know it's crazy, but it seems to me that the non-exo are a bit faster (they are lighter...) but even I've cut one and I very very rarely damage tires.

mtbr member
    Good to see I'm not the only one who runs 2.35 tires around here.

I love my 2.35 Maxxis Mobsters but they are trashed and no longer made. I was going to post a thread just like this since I need new rubber.

Good info guys. I'm going to look into the Ardents, since I have Maxxis loyalty.
    Leeann Tweeden is looking for me.....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i am running crossmarks on front and rear. They are fast and have been holding up well. Found they suck in the mud and wet squishy stuff. I am going to try something else in the front to help my cornering grip. I have a pair of mountain kings in 2.4 best grip i have ever run, Never had one "burp" tubless. also i have a hard time keeping up with the fast group they feel slow.
    Anyone want to buy them 29er? I will sell them i'd rater go faster.