Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

Bear Brook trailfest

Southern New Hampshire NEMBA presents ....

Bear Brook Trails Columbus day Weekend
    October 6 & 7 , 2012
    Come for 2 days or 1 day!

Join us For a weekend of hard work and great riding at Bear brook state park.
    Help us begin our new collaboration with the State Bureau of Trails and increase the amount of single track in Bear Brook.
    We have numerous projects planned but we need your help!,
    Follow the event on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/BearBrookStatePark
    Southern NH NEMBA cordially invites mountain bikers to a weekend of trail building and riding.
    Please RSVP Here if you wish to attend.
    dansloan@sloanpainting.com
    The schedule of events is:

10/6 Friday 6 pm- Night Ride leaving from Hiker / Biker lot

10/7 Saturday - 8 am - 1 pm - Trail work - meet at the Hiker/ Biker lot
    1-2 pm Lunch ( not provided)
    2- 5 pm Ride ( hiker biker lot)
    5-? Barbeque ( provided) and good times

10/8 Sunday - 8 am - 1 pm - Trail work - meet at the Hiker/ Biker lot
    2- 5 pm Ride ( from hiker biker lot)

Camping options -
    Bear Brook campground 603-485-9869
    Last edited by dan0; 10-01-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Tool
    In.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post

10/6 Friday 6 pm- Night Ride leaving from campground store

10/7 Saturday - 8 am - 1 pm - Trail work - meet at the Hiker/ Biker lot
    2- 5 pm Ride ( from campground store)
    5-? Barbeque ( provided) and good times

10/8 Sunday - 8 am - 1 pm - Trail work - meet at the Hiker/ Biker lot
    2- 5 pm Ride ( from campground store)
    Just wanted to clarify. Saturday is 10/6. I'm assuming that there is nothing going on Monday 10/8 for Columbus day. Correct?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ecwashere7 View Post
    Just wanted to clarify. Saturday is 10/6. I'm assuming that there is nothing going on Monday 10/8 for Columbus day. Correct?
    Yes, what he said... James, in on a site?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ecwashere7 View Post
    Right 6th& 7th Saturday & Sunday, plus night ride Friday @6

mtbr member
    planning on being there for sunday prob will have at least 2 other guys also

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

great

Bump

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

2 weeks until trailfest at Bear brook

lots happening, we'll need lots of help

Tool
    This is an awesome opportunity the State is giving NEMBA, but they will need all the help they can get. Even if you can only pitch in for a few hours one of the days, please consider signing up.

There is no feeling of satisfaction quite like rolling down a trail that you helped build/improve. I also guarantee you will have fun as you meet and work with some great people.

Hope to see you there,
    Pete

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

this weekend`

its coming fast, please plan on helping at least 1 day.
    supposed to be someone from the state taking pics for their advertising

mtbr member
    I sent Peter an email saying I am planning to help out on Saturday. Is there anything you suggest I bring?
    That creep can roll, man.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    gloves , water, lunch. your bike & gear if youre riding after , beer after the ride

Go Bruins!
    I was wondering if any details are going to be released about the park upgrades now that this weekend is finishing up. I wish I could have made part of this weekend, but with a week of rain earlier, I ended up working all weekend, including tomorrow. I'm pretty excited about the future of this place because I can see the possibilities.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

Trailfest went great

we had a great turnout for the trailfest. Got 2 bears trails and a big re route on cascade
    all are open for riding, still a bit rough but fun,
    Thanks to all that could make it, I'll keep you posted on future events

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ooctrl View Post
    I was wondering if any details are going to be released about the park upgrades now that this weekend is finishing up. I wish I could have made part of this weekend, but with a week of rain earlier, I ended up working all weekend, including tomorrow. I'm pretty excited about the future of this place because I can see the possibilities.
    cant be too specific because all the new trails and re routes need to be laid out and approved which takes time. basically we have the green light to add and improve trails to make bear brook into a mtn bike destination ala kingdom trails, in many ways better ( camping for instance) so we are adding and connecting single track to single track, so the bikers and hikers can have a wilderness setting , while keeping the existing double track and dirt roads for slower riders, horses etc. seperating the user groups as much as possible. Our goal is to have 40+ miles of single track, as well as new signage, kiosks, permanent marked loops etc. Its not going to happen overnight but if we can keep up the momentum we should be able to add several miles a year

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by ooctrl View Post
    I was wondering if any details are going to be released about the park upgrades now that this weekend is finishing up.
    Specifics on what was completed this weekend:

A new Little Bear trail was put in. It runs roughly parallel to and north of the old Little Bear. The lower entrance is at the same spot as the old Little Bear. The upper entrance is where the old LB meets Podunk. Splitting off of the new LB near the top is a new trail called Big Bear, which exits just below the hiker/biker lot where the Bear Brook trail starts. This creates numerous new singletrack loop options in this area.

A significant reroute was also completed on the lower end of Cascade. The steps are no more, but the replacement is way cooler with significant benching and switchbacks. The reroute starts not far below where Carr Ridge intersects Cascade, and the trail now exits directly across from the Bear Brook trail, eliminating a few hundred yards of fire road for those connecting the two. I'm sure some will miss riding down the steps, but now that riding up Cascade is much more enjoyable, I think people will find the number of attractive singletrack loop options has increased quite a bit.

Go Bruins!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    Specifics on what was completed this weekend:

A new Little Bear trail was put in. It runs roughly parallel to and north of the old Little Bear. The lower entrance is at the same spot as the old Little Bear. The upper entrance is where the old LB meets Podunk. Splitting off of the new LB near the top is a new trail called Big Bear, which exits just below the hiker/biker lot where the Bear Brook trail starts. This creates numerous new singletrack loop options in this area.

A significant reroute was also completed on the lower end of Cascade. The steps are no more, but the replacement is way cooler with significant benching and switchbacks. The reroute starts not far below where Carr Ridge intersects Cascade, and the trail now exits directly across from the Bear Brook trail, eliminating a few hundred yards of fire road for those connecting the two. I'm sure some will miss riding down the steps, but now that riding up Cascade is much more enjoyable, I think people will find the number of attractive singletrack loop options has increased quite a bit.
    Thanks Pete, That sounds great. Is the old LB closed now? or are there now just more options? Stoked about checking it out.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

the train keeps rollin
    Just rode BigBear, nice job.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    RIP... stairs.. been riding em for 16 years, was always a right of passage for newer riders in our group
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
    cant be too specific because all the new trails and re routes need to be laid out and approved which takes time. basically we have the green light to add and improve trails to make bear brook into a mtn bike destination ala kingdom trails, in many ways better ( camping for instance) so we are adding and connecting single track to single track, so the bikers and hikers can have a wilderness setting , while keeping the existing double track and dirt roads for slower riders, horses etc. seperating the user groups as much as possible. Our goal is to have 40+ miles of single track, as well as new signage, kiosks, permanent marked loops etc. Its not going to happen overnight but if we can keep up the momentum we should be able to add several miles a year
    Thank You so much Dan and all the were a part!! I wish I could have Joined you guys but it wasnt in the cards for me this weekend. I am looking forward to other trail work days and would love to help improve NH's premier riding spot. I am glad that the state has given you the greenlight to expand the already awesome network.

mtbr member
    Just rode em, nice work and thank you to all those who put in the time to get it done. Especially liked the sign asking horses to stay off, nicely done. I rode out hemlock to get there and I was cursing those walking glue stix. Someone ponied up hemlock and chewed it up pretty good. Left plenty of holes and $hit behind. It was nice to see the signs, politely prohibiting per canned Alpo. Thanks for the new trails to all those involved.

mtbr member
    went out and rode the new stuff last night. Started with carr ridge down to cascade etc.. I'll start off by saying, big bear, even though we rode it as it was getting dark and it was really soft as expected I think will be a cool trail once it packs down etc.. even though it's a one way down trail, I always find the flow somewhat off on the IMBA standard built trails I know they are built that way for sustainability but it's always the same... up down and turn, up down and turn, up down and turn.. not as fast as I would hope for being a one way down but time will tell once packed.. overall though I think it will be a nice addition.

On the other hand, I and everyone in my group that's been riding bear brook for years, some as many as 16 years came to the same conclusion that the cascade reroute is an utter and complete abortion and killed the lower part of an awesome descent off carr ridge. The corners were probably some of the worst layed out I've ever seen or ridden.

I know I'll take heat as I always do for my opinion blah blah blah an people will get on me about shovel, or shut up etc some wussy trolls will give me neg. rep and not have balls to sign it.. but someone's responsible for layout and I and many others just think it was terrible so it had to be said.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

the train keeps rollin
    I'd neg rep you if I could, but I have to spread the wealth 1st.
    beaver hunt

Ride and Smile suckas
    Yeah people who don't ride well, but talk loads of BS on the Interwebs would say that about the new trails... They would also know about, but not show up to lend a hand at a place they have ridden for the last 428 years. Help out and create better trails with your vast knowledge instead of throwing stones at EVERYONE from behind the keyboard homie.
    Last edited by mcstumpy; 10-12-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: toned down version
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Is there a plan to do some benching in the middle of Big bear? I know you guys did a ton of work to put the trails in, there is a section in the middle of Big bear that seems like it is going to be benched, where as it want to meandor down the hill. I wasn't able to make it to the trail event, but would be more then willing to come out and lend a hand if you guys have any unfinished work out there. I live right outside the park and would be happy to contribute.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast