mtbr member
    Sep 2008

bear brook NEMBA ride

anyone go? comments/info on new trail work?

unfortunately I couldn't make it. was on a road bike (way pre-planned ride) for 6.5 hours. burly cold and wet for it's entirety. did it rain much at bear brook?

rog

Go Bruins!
    I could not make it either and am curious as well.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I saw a lot of flagging last sunday. excited to see what changers were made.

any trail work days coming up?

rog

mtbr member
    It rained off an on the entire time. At times it was really nice and at times it was borderline miserable but as long as you kept moving it was fine.

Early on trails were in perfect shape, hero dirt everywhere. Later on things started getting a bit slick/sloppy. This was my first time on the new Hemlock 1. Talk about an epic bench cut...amazing work.

Not sure if Southern have any more days planned there this year...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^^^^^^^^thank you

that is quite the bench cut! ripping!

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    no, but i'd love to go before it gets too cold. I've been staying local lately and going to FOMBA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Phenomenal! Went with a buddy, rain put me in a sour mood but only gave more reason to ride. Went with the intentions of doing the intermediate loop ended up on the advanced.

I have to say it represented everything fall riding is to me. Wet, a bit chilly, slippery rocks and roots, foliage, mud, etc. The trails blew me away, felt golden the whole ride on my SS. Pulled pork after was superb.

Overall great time. Really have to hand it to the folks who put those in, really fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^^^^^^^^^SOUNDS GREAT!

I may have to get over there sunday or Monday for a good rip.

yarmouth epic, steve?

that ones gonna hurt. very much

rog

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So, maybe its just me but I can NOT find a map with Big Bear on it. Additionally, I rode the other day, solo. This place is huge. I did bobcat, broken boulder, and aside from that I was pretty much lost. Then I returned to the field and started little bear which seemed real fun, until I broke my chain. Whats a good way to ride this place ? Suggest something with flow, I rode something on/around broken boulder that would have been fun in the other direction but again Im not sure where I was. Any suggestions ....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^^^^^^^go there, ride, look around. go there again, ride, and look around, take lefts here, and rights there and so on till you learn the place. like we used to have to b4 interwebz. there's a ton of good stuff out there and the maps aren't vey useful. kinda refreshing in the spoonfed world we ride in

rog

mtbr member
    doubt there will ever be a MTB specific cohesive map of BB. The consensus seems to be intimate knowledge of the in's and out's of Bear Brook is something that has to be earned.

I'm ok with that. We have a lot of the well marked and mapped locale's in Central/Southern NH. I think its kind of nice to have more of an adventure ride type spot where you know there are gems in there but you have to explore a bit to find them. I usually try to rely on wise locals to show me the way when I get down to BB. I find I value the individual rides/trails more if I know that it might be hard for me to find and get back to that spot.

I'd recommend getting in on one of these NEMBA led rides, the loops they set are always a real good representation of some of the best stuff on offer.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSlav View Post
    doubt there will ever be a MTB specific cohesive map of BB. The consensus seems to be intimate knowledge of the in's and out's of Bear Brook is something that has to be earned...
    Nah, it's just a matter of time before someone offers a nice MTB-specific map of the park. GPS units are so common that producing a decent map is pretty easy. I'm amazed that it hasn't been done yet.

mtbr member
    MTBR will not let me upload a pdf map.. but I can recommend a route based on your fitness level, as in, how many miles, elevation, style of riding.. I can suggest a ton of different routes but don't wanna send you down a stupid techy trail if your not up for it... Look for trail days through Southern NH Nemba chapter.. the bench on hemlock was just the start of alot of hard work to come.. join in an learn the trails
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    MTBR will not let me upload a pdf map.. but I can recommend a route based on your fitness level, as in, how many miles, elevation, style of riding.. I can suggest a ton of different routes but don't wanna send you down a stupid techy trail if your not up for it... Look for trail days through Southern NH Nemba chapter.. the bench on hemlock was just the start of alot of hard work to come.. join in an learn the trails

mean I been riding for 15 years, I dont miiinnnd Techy, I just like flow, I hate knowing , "damn I should have ridden that trail the other way." Just looking for the best ride, for 2 hours of riding. I parked at Hayes field last time, what would you suggest ??

mtbr member
    Park at the hiker biker lot, go out hemlock an do all of hemlock till you come out to the camp rd. take a right an go up pitch pine on left, stay left onto broken boulder, when you come out to spruce pond rd, take a right onto the rd go up to podunk take a left, take first right up an then follow till you see bear hill, up an over bear hill, left on podunk descend to hayes field, go all the way to the back of hayes field just as you exit the field singletrack on left, follow to next intersection, take a left (sentinel pine) continue down that, eventually you should end up going down a switch back to lane trail, take a right go over bridge an continue straight through the corner onto bear brook trail go all the way to end, take right onto doubletrack (you'll be right near the parking lot so you could end here depending on your pace) an follow till you see a singletrack on left (few hundred yards) that is new "littlebear up" go up it, at intersection go straight, that is the start of "bigbear" descend big bear down an take a right onto doubletrack up to parking lot.. bout 12-14 miles, an 900'..
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Many many different routes.. but that's about the flowiest I can think of without getting into the more techy stuff like hedgehog, beaverpond,lynx, Hall mountain marsh, carr ridge etc..
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    thanks my dude ! .... Idk if you still live in manch but I just finished my first line on some stuff I been buidling right in the middle of the city. Hit me up if you live in town.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^SOUNDS GREAT!

I may have to get over there sunday or Monday for a good rip.

yarmouth epic, steve?

that ones gonna hurt. very much

rog
    Well I suppose someone should chaperone you old folks around the woods...

I just made it worse for myself huh?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    the boogie was my first foray into Bear Brook. The led ride was pretty awesome. I usually ride FOMBA or Russell Mill. Did landlocked today and was underwhelmed after last weekend's ride @ BB.

I'll most likely join in on the next trail day. The place was pretty sweet.

THANKS NEMBA!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMANCHVEGAS View Post
    thanks my dude ! .... Idk if you still live in manch but I just finished my first line on some stuff I been buidling right in the middle of the city. Hit me up if you live in town.
    what is this sorcery you speak of?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^^^^^^^that is a lot of time on double track and dirt roads than need be.

how bout out the hemlock 1 and 2. at the intersection of 2 and 3 take right like yer going out to the camp road. just before the camp road take an almost 180 degree right onto the pitch pine singletrack and ride that all of the way to the archery range then around the right side of the lil pond and up the singletrack on right to the sandpit. at sand pit cross road and go up salt lick to bobcat, left on bobcat and right on chipmunk. follow chipmunk all the way to spruce road, cross spruce road and ride upper (awesome) chipmunk to to broken boulder. quick right then another right onto Podunk. ride Podunk till 1st trail on left. take left and a quick right onto singletrack which crosses 4h camp road. left and quick right continuing on singletrack to ferret. left on ferret then right onto bear hill. up and over bear hill. follow ^^^his directions to sentinel pine, but ride sentinel pine and take right onto cascade (use some caution on this trail) quick climb outta cascade and continue straight onto the new carr ridge to bear brook connector. ride that, drop down and cross lane trail onto the bear brook trail and then follow ^^^^^his directions from there. more singletrack/less road. not much difference in mileage.

rog