mtbr member
    Sep 2008

bear brook logging update

had a really nice ride out there this morning. didn't see a soul. amazing.

what i did see and hear was major logging devastation continuing and spreading in the hemlock region. was able to ride #1, but didn't bother trying to get to #3. what was very clear and open during the fest is now done for a while. the trails were a bit more dry which was nice.

nice to have the best of the riding season ahead.

rog

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Haven't been in the area in awhile Rog, Is this standard park logging stuff as they did in the past up on Hall mtn where clubs will have to resurrect afterwards? Any integration with mtn biker involved in BB?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

hmmm

can't answer that. they seemed to be going bonkers tho. even parts of broken boulder, below the road had annoying felled trees on it.

man, bb is such a beautiful place. so much flowy, cruisy, journey-like, refreshing.

rog

the train keeps rollin
    Pitch Pine, which is an original sanctioned trail is totally bombed out with logging. It's a bit of a shame the state does not have better places to log than in the park.
    beaver hunt

Ride and Smile suckas
    What clubs normally rebuild?
    I hope that trail comes back much like it was before the cut... that is one of my favorites in all of BB.
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    One of the NEMBA chapters was active in BB when I was down there. Kathy Evans acted in some volunteer liason role back then, I have no idea now as I'm no longer there.

Among the other fest pro/con there is a little recent info here:
    NEMBA Fest

Seems like there are always some good people trying to organize and build the relationship with the park but its hard to "unite" the front. Just reading that thread I linked sort of sums up the internet's version of state of affairs...luckily the internet isn't always representative.

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Pitch Pine, which is an original sanctioned trail is totally bombed out with logging. It's a bit of a shame the state does not have better places to log than in the park.
    I'm not sure you fully understand the reasoning behind many (not all) state parks.
    The logging is used to generate revenue for the state. They are selling that timber.
    They allow us to ride there, and such, but they will be actively logged from now until eternity.
    Here is some language from the DRED forest management website
    Under Chapter 227-H, the forest management program carries out forestry activities on more than 167,000 acres of state-owned reservations, more than 11,000 acres of Federal Flood Control Areas under a natural resource management license with the US Army Corps of Engineers, and more than 23,000 acres of Fish and Game Department lands by memorandum of understanding. The Forest Management Bureau within the Division of Forests and Lands is responsible for forest management activities on woodlands under state jurisdiction.

If you listen to many of the cynical hikers, the only reason we have national forests is for the US Gov't to make money off of logging.

EDIT:
    The plus side is that once this area is logged we should be good for another 30-40 years in this location.

beer thief
    There are some basic trail preservation measures that are typically used for timber management in conservation areas, like leaving a buffer strip along existing trails, minimizing trail crossings, and crossing at 90 degree angles. This probably does not apply to the Hemlocks and I-trail, which were not sanctioned trails. If DRED is not employing these common techniques to established trails like Pitch Pine they are screwing up.

Tool
    Of course, the two trees forming a narrow gate on Hemlock will survive. I'm glad I don't have wide bars when I pass thru that one.

I'm certain all this BB logging would be much worse for MTB if it weren't for NEMBA's involvement with the state. I doubt MTB would have any voice at all at BB if it weren't for NEMBA.

Anyone concerned with the future of MTB at BB should consider joining NEMBA and attending the BB trail planning meeting next month.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    There are some basic trail preservation measures that are typically used for timber management in conservation areas, like leaving a buffer strip along existing trails, minimizing trail crossings, and crossing at 90 degree angles. This probably does not apply to the Hemlocks and I-trail, which were not sanctioned trails. If DRED is not employing these common techniques to established trails like Pitch Pine they are screwing up.

The loggers setup their landing pad right on top of Pitch Pine Trail where it intersects Campground Rd. There's trees down all over the trail.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    The loggers setup their landing pad right on top of Pitch Pine Trail where it intersects Campground Rd. There's trees down all over the trail.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.