Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the train keeps rollin

Bear Brook Logging Report (Hemlocks)

So the logging is over for the year. The logs and equipment are gone, the landing pad has been sectioned off with some large boulders.

Here's what I can make out of the outcome.

Hemlock # 1, no change, no logging

Hemlock # 2, from where #1 connects to # 2 the trail is a mess of skid paths and leftover debri, you can find sections of the trail here and there, but it's really hard to follow, pretty much a goner. There's about 1/4 of trail lost. The 2nd half of # 2 leading to 3 is good, with one pile of debri needing removal.

Hemlock # 3, the trail is clear and riding, there's a few spots with a skidder path across the trail, some lumpy tire ruts here and there, but the trail is cleaned and 90% intact, loses 1 star!

Pitch Pine from Campground Rd to Angler Pond, and the connection into Hemlock. It's clear and riding, there's a couple skid paths over Pitch Pine, but intact for the most part. The connector to #2 and #3 from Pitch Pine is clear, extra wide from the heavy equipment.

In Summary: #2 needs a reroute around the logging mess, the rest of the trails are OK.
    beaver hunt

customized
    Sep 2003
    Thanks for the update! Will be sure to sample the remnants before the snow falls.

mtbr member
    Thankyou, when did you go out? I haven't been to BB since i last saw the logging.

the train keeps rollin
    I was out there Monday 12/12
    beaver hunt

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

Upset

well, so much for empty promises
    I spoke with the forester at bear brook and he told me that even though hemlock wasnt an " official trail" he liked it and would fix it up after the logging. We spoke to the loggers and they said if someone had told them they would have been more carefull.
    as usual, we fix the trails, build the trails, pay $4 a head to ride them and then get no say as to when and where the state can whore out the minimal resourses available. most of the wood logged was just chipped and sold by the ton for pulp

the train keeps rollin
    DanO, tell me about it! Even Pitch Pine which is a sanctioned trail is all tore up in spots, not fixed. Please post when #2 will be fixed so I can help. It's really fukking depressing though, not only are the trees gone, but the ground has huge tractor ruts to deal with.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    There was nothing like ripping through the pine gardens..

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Yeah , I went round and round with the state and the forester, he claims that the clear cutting is benificial and brings in more diversity, I said , thats true and it happens in nature via fires, but fires dont churn up the ground and alot of vegitation that gets burned is still alive. he claims that churning up the gravel and sand and mixing it in with the tiny 1/2" of topsoil will do the same. I call BS, go look at the I trail, been what 5 years now and its still a mess
    look at what they did to chipmonk, everywhere they cut a "Vista view" is an eroding mess, we've tried to repair the trail but every time it rains it just washes out more and all that silt and sediment just heads down the hill into the streams and brooks.
    maybe a few letters to the state would help but its doubtful. They just spout the company line that its some dumb ass pc reason.
    so far its been to " open up the forest for more diversity of wildlife"
    well what animals are missing? Ive seen just about everything that lives in NH there
    another one " we want to open up a scenic vista so handicapped people can enjoy a scenic vista without having to leave their car"
    another BS statement, the "scenic vista is" of a clear cut and beyond that just woods, no view

its all government pc crap, thats how they work , everything thing is OK as long as you can come up with some pc reason for it

mtbr member
    It's probably to help out government contracted logging companies, i see no other reason for what they are doing. There are a lot of big trees that they can make money off of, and i'm sure they have them all tagged and mapped on some government computer.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepeRst View Post
    It's probably to help out government contracted logging companies, i see no other reason for what they are doing. There are a lot of big trees that they can make money off of, and i'm sure they have them all tagged and mapped on some government computer.
    it probably doesnt help that the department in charge is DRED, department of resourse and economic development. as you can tell from their accronym their main purpose is to maximise the amount of money they can get from our resourses ( parks and forrests)
    thats why they are so hot to allow ATVs everywhere, lots of registration fees

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepeRst View Post
    Seriously guys, there are lots of reasons why logging aka timber management takes place. Besides the obvious revenue from the timber/chips, clearcuts are commonly done to promote wildlife habitat. Deer love to browse on saplings produced from clearcutting. Some good info on clearcutting is found here.

Bootleg trails that are not on any official park maps are not going to fare well quite simply because they doesn't show up anywhere during the planning process until it's too late. Do some research to educate yourself on how timber management works and work with DRED early in the process to avoid this kind of disruption in the future. It's not that hard.

Change is inevitable. Some of today's favorite trails will be altered tomorrow, while other potentially prime trails don't yet exist. Get involved if you want those trails of the future to fit your personal preferences.

JDM
    mtbr member
    I've met a lot of the prominent foresters around NH and the are experts at balancing economics, recreation value, aesthetics and wildlife habitat..... They may not please rabid members of interests groups, but they get a lot of stuff right.

If we insist on not harvesting timber from publicly owned land then we won't be able to afford to have as much land protected from real development. I'll take some slash on my trail over more condos for tourists.

There are private conservation groups who don't harvest timber, but do allow trail development. Consider working with them if you can't tolerate logging. In fact, if you really want control then buy some land.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I heartily agree with everything JDM posted above, I ride in maine and many many trails are srewed up by logging every year as well as new ones being opened up by the same logging. Its always unfortunate when a favorite trail is ruined, but we are using the land for recreation, and Foresters, who are generally great guys are not responsible for every unsanctioned trail passing through the land they are harvesting.
    Ridin' fo' dayzz

Wheels - 11' Giant Anthem X1
    -08 Eastern Slash
    -08 Jamis Dragon

mtbr member
    Sadly at Bear Brook the why and the where are driven by the same cause, money. They want it so they log it. They want to get a better deal on their price from the logging entity so they provide them with access points that are cost effective. BB is some ten thousand acres and yet their access points are convenient and an eyesore for their visitors. The latest edition of the cutting is the most grotesque of all being perfectly situated right next to the camp road. They weigh their options but apathy for any true regard for the aesthetics of their park actually no longer becomes part of the equation. So the next time you wish to put in a rogue trail of this nature at BB. Do us all a favor and put it somewhere inconvenient. The bean counters will spare it, trust me!

the train keeps rollin
    Sorry guys, but one of the trails plowed through by the heavy equipment is not a "Rogue Trail" Pitch Pine is part of the established trail system, probably the most popular trail to XC ski in the winter. There's several very large skid paths over the trail, not a total wreck, just ugly in spots.
    Last edited by snowdrifter; 01-03-2012 at 06:48 AM.
    beaver hunt

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Sorry guys, but one of the trails plowed through by the heavy equipment is not a "Rogue Trail" Pitch Pine is part of the established trail system, probably the most popular trail to XC ski in the winter. There's several very large skid paths over the trail, not a total wreck, but it's an ugly trail now.
    Standard practice is to minimize crossings of trails, leave a buffer along the trail, and cross at 90 degree angles. If they are not following these simple procedures they are screwing up. Same advice applies, get involved and give DRED feedback on what they did right and what they did not.

the train keeps rollin
    The skid paths are at 90* or close to it, so yeah they're following rules there. They also left a very small buffer left and right of the trail, like 20' on each side of the trail was saved, well not really because they took the sizable timber right up to the trail. Understood the state needs to make some cash to stay a float. My beef is BearBrook is well used park, horses, hikers, bikers, skiers, campers, day use peepes. The logging really distracts from the beauty and usage of BearBrook.. I'd pay for $75-$100 season pass if there where more trails, and better cared for. Instead the park allows ATV and Motorcycle days that degrade the trails, there's logging each year, where they leave behind a big mess in the woods, the ground is ravaged to say the least. We lost a good portion of Chipmunk (legit trail) a few years back. The areas clear cut on Chimpmunk are now erosion central, it's a real shame what's going on at BearBrook with the logging. I say for every trail lost to logging, we build 3 more, rogue or permitted.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    The only atv events in bear brook now are once a year, in december when the ground is frozen (or supposed to be wierd weather this year) for the toys for tots ride and they are strictly prohibited from anywhere but the double track. They also run a drag after the event to reduce any visible signs of use. There is the annual dirtbike race that goes straight through, the nh classic but again, only on the double track straight through the park on snowmobile trail 15.

on another note, I agree with JDM and a couple others. If trails are going to be built why not focus on building new trails where they won't be logged? Why not a single track specific switchback trail up an down hall mt. or on the various other terrain that makes for fun mountain biking, but would be a nightmare or even impossible to log? The only trails I've seen built in bear brook in the last few years is all stuff that's xc oriented and has easy access to logging such as the hemlocks, the new trail right along lane train at the bottom of catamount etc... start focusing where the elevation is, and no more logging problems....... just MHO....
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    First order of business should be to re route the effected areas on hemlock. Cleaning the path on the scar is sort of pointless. The aesthetic is gone. There is room there to cross the ridge and push the ridge further towards the stream below. Without benching the whole thing. I started scouting it out last year when the blue dots showed up. More than willing to help. Second order of business is figure out where some other trails might be and help finish them off.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    we are working on a comprehensive 5 year plan for the park, we've already met with DRED and other state agencys. So all is not lost
    Rob, you're right about the procedure , but the issue we have is a bit different here, we have 1 state park ( 2 if you count Pawtuckaway) and theyre not very big. we dont have the luxury of thousand of acres available to re route or build new so whenever even a little bit is ruined needlessly is raises alot of anger. I dont have an issue with logging, or even clear cutting, I've studied it extensively, and its really not black and white. Yes you can increase the diversity of wildlife but there are better ways to accomplish this. In nature its forest fires, but fires dont churn up the topsoil, and strip away every living thing. In fact usually after a fire things are back sprouting and growing better than before.
    I know we cant burn, but why not do selective logging without skidders and heavy equipment? the small amount of timber harvested from bear brook could easily have been done with animal teams and there are several loggers in the area that do just that.
    I also spoke with the forester and he told me that he liked the hemlock trail and would reclaim it for us ( didnt happen) we also spoke with the logging team that was doing the work and they said if they had been informed they could have been much less intrustive
    . So , while I agree with your advise, I am still not happy with the way things are done at this park.
    AND dont forget they still have the next phase to go. Hopefully we can work with the powers that be and keep some of the single track

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Saturday 12-7

How do you think the trails will be Saturday morning? I was thinking of riding Bear Brook or Fort Rock. Anyone else riding these areas?
    Greg

Go Bruins!
    Fort Rock is fine. I haven't been to BB in awhile, but since there is no snow, it should be good to go. Saturday, the temps are looking up a bit, I'd get out earlier than later to avoid a defrost.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gregburb View Post
    How do you think the trails will be Saturday morning? I was thinking of riding Bear Brook or Fort Rock. Anyone else riding these areas?
    Greg
    Sunday morning should be fine
    we rode BB last Sunday, the dirt roads were the worst, single track was great

the train keeps rollin
    Hi DanO, the 5 year plan, how much new trail is in that plan?
    beaver hunt

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Hi DanO, the 5 year plan, how much new trail is in that plan?
    still in the planning stages but the idea is to connect all the singletrack with singletrack, bypass the old loggiing trails and roads ( like broken boulder) fix and re route where necessary the existing singletrack. We would like to make Bear brook more of a destination place ala Kingdom trails. It already has a better camp ground, couple of nice ponds , possible connect to Pawtuckaway for even more . I would like to see at least 30 miles of quality singletrack

we need to show the state how they can get the most return for least amount, that way they make alot of people happy and make $$ . As it stands now, the ATV lobby has alot of clout because of the fees they pay and they also have alot of registered clubs that can lobby the state for access. but they have a lousy image and most park users wont come to a place thats overrun with powered vehicles.
    Our ace in the hole is that we build and maintain the trails, most other park users dont mind us, and we pay $4 a head to ride there, so if they go with our plan and it doesnt work ,it costs them nothing and they get the park improved

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast