mtbr member

Bear Brook Conditions

Three of us rode last night. There wasn't another soul in the park.(Hiker/biker lot and kiosk parking were devoid of cars except ours)

Lower bear brook, upper bear brook, little bear, and hemlock had surprisingly good traction. We railed at about 90 percent of full on ripping it up speed, just to be on the safe side. We never washed out on corners and off camber sections. I had an aspen on the front and smoke on the rear.

The sensation was of floating along on even smoother trails than normal with no additional rolling resistance than when these trails are dry. Snow laden saplings intruded on the trails and the snow's whiteness improved illumination substantially.

Things changed when we got to pitch pine, broken boulder, bear hill, Hayes field, where the snow was slightly deeper and had a crust on it and since there had not been any meaningful traffic earlier in the storm as was the case on the aforementioned trails, we encountered an opportunity for resistance training. (How's that for a euphemism?)

Exiting via Carr Ridge was a less sketchy then we imagined, but is still to be respected. The resistance there was welcome.

So, Go Ride!!!

the train keeps rollin
    Probably found my fatty tracks on Carr Rigde.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Al, to get completely off topic I ran behind the hospital at lunch time and it looks really good out there. Lots of traffic has packed down on the small amount I ran on. This weekend sounds like it will be big snow fall, bad for my biking..........but great for my skiing.