Thread: baxter

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

baxter

hey all i am going north next week to hike katahdin. and am seriously considering bring my bike... are there anytrails up there to ride on? and anyone close by who can show me round or something? will be up monday thru friday not sure when ill be hiking. staying at katahdin shadows camp ground
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    People live up there? Wow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I grew up in Millinocket and I don't think there is any single track to speak of. There are plenty of unmarked ATV trails all over the place, but you would need a local to show you around. However, from what I know there is not a big biking population in the area. I looked into trying to ride the marked snowmobile trail when going to visit the folks, but the problem is the trails are not maintain during non-snow months and are covered with logs and branches. Not a big deal on a sno machine when travelling over 4 feet of snow, but a pain on a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You'll pass through Orono/Old Town to get to Baxter. The trail network in the area of the UMaine campus has some decent riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What route are you taking up Katahdin?

Moderator Moderator
    Bring your bike to tool around the Baxter perimeter road (like 50 mi one way)... you will see a lot more than you will in a car, wildlife, etc. The speed limit is like 15 or so, making cars not a big issue. Not singletrack by any means but still an adventure on a bike. I am going bikepacking and kayak camping there for 8 nights in a couple weeks, biking to different campgrounds every night, doing side hikes on foot, etc.

?hipster?
    I've been going to BSP for 40 years, as the previous poster mentioned the only riding there is on the perimeter road, it's not for everybody but it is good for exploring. Don't even think about riding on the hiking trails, they do not mess around and will bust you. I'll be there next week.

Have fun

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    we are staying at katahdin shadows camp ground got a cabin i may bring the bike up and hit the perimeter roads,
    next week are you bring a bike? would u be interested in meeting up for a ride one of them days? shoot me a pm and i can give you a time when i can go and my phone number..
    not sure on route i think we are doing chimney pond and the knife edge but not sure other wise...
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nickcarll View Post
    we are staying at katahdin shadows camp ground got a cabin i may bring the bike up and hit the perimeter roads,
    next week are you bring a bike? would u be interested in meeting up for a ride one of them days? shoot me a pm and i can give you a time when i can go and my phone number..
    not sure on route i think we are doing chimney pond and the knife edge but not sure other wise...
    I've been up Katahdin numerous times via the AT route (Hunt Trail) and Abol Slide. Both are awesome. Abol is shorter and easier in my opinion. Any way you go, once you're on the table-lands it's straight cruising. Love that place.

?hipster?
    Thanks, but I'm leaving the bike home this time and giving my legs a break, just doing some kayaking. If you are going to do Katahdin, be sure to arrive VERY early, the lots fill up quickly and they will not let you in once they are full. A couple of years ago they started issuing day use parking permits to the lots near Katahdin because of heavy use. You'll want to check into that on the BSP website or at the park headquarters in Millinockett.

Good luck and have fun.

Moderator Moderator
    It may be too late, but just so you know, your phone will not work up there. If you can, let folks know not to worry if they don't hear from you all week.