mtbr member
    May 2005

Bar Harbor/ Acadia riding???

Heading that way for 5 days end of August. Anything in the area that's good? Also for my GF some nice easy trails would be good.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Carriage roads are the only thing you can ride in the park(other than auto roads). They are fairly easy and very scenic.

Might be some ST on teh island but I have never looked.

mtbr member
    The Carriage Roads and Breakneck Trail are the only places to bike on the whole of Mt. Desert Island. Not including all the road riding you can do on the Park Loop Rd and the local roads. I've heard rumors of a trail open to MTB on the western side, but I haven't found it yet.

Here's the map for Breakneck Trail from when I GPS'd it awhile back. It's the ONLY singletrack/doubletrack that remotely resembles mtn biking. Carriage roads are good for tooling around with the GF, though.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...97bd29de&msa=0

mtbr member
    ride from town, hit the carriage roads...up cadillac...back to town. Bocee (?sp) at the Lampoc to finish. Great day

mtbr member
    Here in Acadia now. Just riding Carriage Roads. I find that it is a great way to cover a lot the Park, see the vistas, and to chill with the family.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the replies

We'll have both road and mtn bikes with us. Are mtn bikes more appropriate for the carriage roads? Not liking the idea of hammering my carbon road bike when I can be comfy on a locked out full squish bike.

mtbr member
    Mountain bike. Although not really needed, it'll be better than the road bike due to the fact of the knobby tires. The Carriage Road surface is decomposed granite. And some that I went on this week were recently re-graded and had loose, deep corners. You probably wouldn't want to be plowing through turns and having your carbon road bike pelted with pieces of sharp granite as you ride.

I rode my 5" travel bike this week with my family without issue. I recommend the loop (about 10 miles) that climbs along the western side of Jordan Pond and around to Bubble Pond (ridden clockwise). Great lake and mountain views!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Excellent, thanks for the heads up on that loop. We'll try it out for sure.

mtbr member
    Don't forget to stop by Testa's in Bar Harbor for after ride Mojitos! It is a very cool open air bar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Excellent, thanks for the heads up on that loop. We'll try it out for sure.
    The key is to get out early (say 7am) , especially for a road ride, unless you like sharing the road with a constant stream of cars, harleys, and motor homes. I would knock off the Cadillac climb at dawn, less traffic to deal with on the winding turns.

Ditto for the carriage roads, early in the day will feel like you have the woods to yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by treilley View Post
    Don't forget to stop by Testa's in Bar Harbor for after ride Mojitos! It is a very cool open air bar.
    x2 on this one!

cranktankerous Mainer
    eh, Iím not a fan of early morningsÖ I like to hit the carriage roads 2 hours or so before dark. Wife drops me off at visitor center, and I usually ride down the east side of Eagle Lake, up & Down Day Mountain, over to the West side around the mountain and then head back into Bar Harbor. Really enjoy the sunset & rip around with nobody out there as night slowly creeps in. Yeah itís not single-track, but itís a totally unique biking experience that does not suck. I pack a small light and taillight for the road ride back into town to finish with a beer and burrito, then shuttle (gasp!) on the free bus back over to Southwest Harbor which is where I stay. Hardtail with gears and semi-slicks works for me.
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball

mtbr member
    ^ Yeah, Toddski is right....it seems that most of the park (Carriage Roads and hiking trails) clears out around 4PM, so later afternoons are wayyyy less crowded.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the descent off the top of pemetic heading east as the sun is just starting to rise is pretty amazing.

just don't get caught

rog

mtbr member
    Perfect post! We arrive the afternoon 9/2 staying at Coach Stop for one night. We have not decided if we are going to stay 9/3 in Bar or somewhere between there and Portland. What do you guys recommend? Where should we rent bikes?
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Rich View Post
    Perfect post! We arrive the afternoon 9/2 staying at Coach Stop for one night. We have not decided if we are going to stay 9/3 in Bar or somewhere between there and Portland. What do you guys recommend? Where should we rent bikes?
    I've heard good things about Bradbury Mtn State Park.