Thread: Attitash?

Competent User

Attitash?

I've got a gift certificate to Attitash, and I've been meaning to go up there and do some riding, but I was curious if anyone's been recently. I know most seem to go to Highland instead, and there aren't many recent reviews.

Also, what kind of bikes do they rent? I have an FS 29er, but it's not really DH, or even AM ready, so I'd probably have to rent, unless I just want to ride their XC loop (and I've got great XC here.)

I've tried to call, and couldn't get anyone to pick up the phone. Probably not the best sign. Either that, or they were too busy maintaining the bikes. That's it, right?

I'm also gonna go to Highland at the end of the month as well. But I think I know what I'm in for there.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I went there years ago. Dry, dusty, rocky, and roots is how I'd describe it. Rode it on a DH hardtail and got pretty beat. I recently drove by it on the way to the White Mtns and it looked like thre were still riders going at it. I don't know if that's helpful at all....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    NE DH at Attitash - roots, rocks and steeps.... Buff at Highland !

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It's actually really really fun. One of the best courses on the ESC circuit. Freerode some other trails and they are similarly fun. Take a map, it was hard to just "freeball" it and find trails.

Highland it is not. It is the anti-highland. Steep, singletrack, natural features, plenty of elevation. True downhilling. Not a wholelotta trail maintenance though.

think
    Jul 2008
    I haven't been to Attitash, I need to go. The last time I got invited up there my buddy told me to bring the big bike, TWO helmets, and beer if that tells you anything

mtbr member
    Sandwich put it best and I would add that it's very loose..i was there last year I believe they rent diamond backs. It's not bad its like 40.00 for four hours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    oh, it's definitely a DH bike kind of place. You can get away with a trail bike at other places, but Attitash will probably crush you on anything less than 6" with dedicated DH tires.

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by randy35 View Post
    Sandwich put it best and I would add that it's very loose..i was there last year I believe they rent diamond backs. It's not bad its like 40.00 for four hours.
    Yeah, the prices are on the website. So they're presumably real DH Diamondbacks?

mtbr member
    I went last season near the end of the season and thought it was OK. After going to Snow and Killington this year I can say I liked both of those places alot better. The bike I rented at Atitash last year was not that great.

The trails didn't seem to have much work done to them. Like I said, prior to going to the other mountains I thought higher of it.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Curious, have you been elsewhere, like plattekill, creek, or highland? Killington had very little in either trail maintenance or trail variety when I went, which admittedly was back when they were a "Kona groove approved" park. Snow was worse. I'm wondering what you mean by "work done to them".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    Curious, have you been elsewhere, like plattekill, creek, or highland? Killington had very little in either trail maintenance or trail variety when I went, which admittedly was back when they were a "Kona groove approved" park. Snow was worse. I'm wondering what you mean by "work done to them".
    I have not been to the three you listed. I was at Killington last weekend and Snow a few weeks prior. I think as far as having defined, massaged trails Snow was the best.

By work done I just meant a distinct trail. Not just "here, ride across this ski trail." The only worked over part I recall at Atittash was "Grandma's Kitchen".

At the end of the day it's personal opinion. I simply had more fun at Snow and Killington.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie