mtbr member

Ascutney winter conditions

Hey all,

Does anybody near Ascutney know the winter conditions on the mountain? I'm off tomorrow and I'm thinking about heading down to earn some turns. Thanks- Brian.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Bring a bush hog. Most of the trails have finger-thick seedlings. I haven't been up there since the snow. The utility road to the top (8' wide) is probably ski-able, but there was ZERO base before this fluffy storm, and there are a lot of rocks on that route. Why do we always get powder in December, followed by wet, base snow in January?

The MTB trails are ungroomed, but get tracked out and snowshoed pretty quickly. I'll go for a waxless kick-and-maybe-glide this afternoon and check back in.

mtbr member
    Thank you, Jim. I'm glad I asked, I assumed you had a lot more snow. That's good ole' New England weather for ya; we have had an excellent early winter in northern VT. But just as things are getting geared up, mother nature decides to throw an icestorm at us (this weekend). I've never skinned/skied mtb trails, but the thought has always been in the back of my mind. I bet that is a pretty good option down in the MRV.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The recent snowfall is denser than I had thought. I went out with some pretty wide, waxless tele skis, the perfect setup for skiing MTB trails, whose climb and pitch vary too frequently to have to deal the stick/peel cycle of skinning. The trails just reopened on Monday, following the close of deer seasons, and with the cold weather there weren't many tracks. Following a snowshoer from the day before made for a nice kick and glide, but most of my short trek was breaking trail. I couldn't resist dropping down through some open hardwoods that I knew were relatively rock-free, and found that the snow supported me with very few scrapes and surprises. But I wouldn't attempt the rock-strewn, ski area utility road as yet. All in all, you'll be better sticking to the many glades on Ascutney this winter (if you know where to find them :-)

mtbr member
    Sounds like it was an enjoyable day.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbikeski View Post
    All in all, you'll be better sticking to the many glades on Ascutney this winter (if you know where to find them :-)
    So many hidden glades, so little time. But there is nothing better than stumbling upon a new one.