mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Ascutney Trails (STAB) Update

TRAIL REPORT (for more info on Ascutney Trails go to www.stabvt.org)
    We've opened Upper Mile-Long Field, Lower Fielder's Choice, New Belle and Arrow Route since last week. Note the wet area and red trails on this map are STILL CLOSED. Don't cross the red ribbon! There are still over 20 miles of trails to enjoy. Enjoy!Ascutney Trails (STAB) Update-trail-report.jpg
    Last edited by jimbikeski; 05-03-2013 at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Ascutney Trail of the week : Home Again

This is the main connector trail at Ascutney, used by everyone and with something for everyone to love. The last part of the video is a section that is little too technical for some novices, so we provide a dirt-road bypass.

vermonter

Ascutney Trails (STAB) Update

I towed the camper up to white river where we park it for summer (when it's not headed to the beach) unbeknownst to my wife who was headed to Carlisle MA for a confirmation I stashed my bike and gear in camper. Took a little ride on the stab network and they were great as always. These trails are just the way I like em, pay the climbers price upfront and the downhills are so well made across the fall line you hardly know you are going down with wonderful switchbacks in abundance.

Track (5/12/13, 14:30:45)

EveryTrail - Find trail maps for California and beyond
    Brattleboro/Keene NEMBA officer and trail hero!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Trail Report 5/17/2013
    99% open:
    Ascutney Trails (STAB) Update-trail-report.jpg

mtbr member
    I was there Monday with my wife. Amazing network of trails! Thanks for that sign that says: NO DOGS, PORCUPINE! on the "Bank On It" trail. My lab has already dealt with porcupines twice and lost... Not fun to have to pull those things out of a dogs lips and nose... We will be back for more, even if it is 4.5 hours away from where we live!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Another update: There was a report of a porcupine near the top of mile long field the other day. Make sure you keep an eye out if you're bringing a dog along.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Saturday the 8th, most of Ascutney Trails will be closed from 8AM to noon for the running of the West Windsor Forest 5 & Dime runs. Access available only through the Town Forest Trailhead, and only intermediate and expert trails south of the trailhead will be open.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ascutney Trails will not be closed this weekend, July 13th and 14th.
    Last edited by jimbikeski; 07-12-2013 at 04:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    How's the fire danger?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    how's the fire danger?
    Extreme
    (at the low end of the scale)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    GO WITH THE FLOW
    Almost all trails are better coming down than going up, but what comes down, first must go up. So every singletrack at Ascutney Trails is designed to be climbable but 3 (Falls from Grace, Quarry Chase and Boulder Dash), making the ride combinations nearly infinite. But some routes are going to be better than others. If you are new to Ascutney, be sure to take these routes in these directions (you can go the other way next time.) And don't pass up the "Greenies" just because you're "better than that."
    Ascutney Trails (STAB) Update-flow.jpg

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbikeski View Post
    GO WITH THE FLOW
    Almost all trails are better coming down than going up, but what comes down, first must go up. So every singletrack at Ascutney Trails is designed to be climbable but 3 (Falls from Grace, Quarry Chase and Boulder Dash), making the ride combinations nearly infinite. But some routes are going to be better than others. If you are new to Ascutney, be sure to take these routes in these directions (you can go the other way next time.) And don't pass up the "Greenies" just because you're "better than that."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flow.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	825914
    So how many of these trails are in the VT50? I've only ridden up there during the 50 and have been meaning to get out there to get the full singletrack experience.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    So how many of these trails are in the VT50? I've only ridden up there during the 50 and have been meaning to get out there to get the full singletrack experience.
    None of the trails named on the map above are in the VT50. Only 3 of Ascutney Trails' 33 miles are in the race. Come back and ride the REAL Ascutney - it's a totally different experience.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    woodyak, do yourself a favor and ride all of Ascutney. Definitely worth it. Was up from PA for the festival in July and was really impressed. Great layout. But like said by jimbikeski, to go down you must first go up. You will get a workout but the ride down will be worth it. Not to mention some great scenery.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    woodyak, do yourself a favor and ride all of Ascutney. Definitely worth it. Was up from PA for the festival in July and was really impressed. Great layout. But like said by jimbikeski, to go down you must first go up. You will get a workout but the ride down will be worth it. Not to mention some great scenery.
    Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like a great place to roadtrip. We've ridden most places in VT so far so this and Snake Mountain are on the list!
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like a great place to roadtrip. We've ridden most places in VT so far so this and Snake Mountain are on the list!
    Woody- When are you going? I'm trying to setup a crew to roll up there the weekend of 9/7. Looking to ride the whole place too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Jim, You sent me a video of telemarking in Ascutney area--in the small world category I saw the list of skiers at the end of the video--and an old friend popped up, Ted Siegeler; if he is in his 60's I worked with him in the 70's on Mt. Washington, he later bought a house in Brownsville (it could be a son I suppose). If you see him say Bob Sullivan says hello. Also thanks for the info on stab trails-went there last Sunday with friends and had a blast on the "greenies". Will spread the word about your great trails and go there often before they are "Kingdomized" ! Thanks-- Damnation

trail magician
    It has been a pleasure seeing these trails evolve over the past few years. I think it offers one of the most well-rounded trail systems in the state. The trails were all-time this past weekend. Thanks to Jim and all the other locals who work tirelessly!

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    Woody- When are you going? I'm trying to setup a crew to roll up there the weekend of 9/7. Looking to ride the whole place too.
    Probably not until next season. Going out west in a couple of weeks for 11 days which should take up all my kitchen passes for the year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Bill. C'mon up we'll do Snake, Millstone and some local stuff.

MC MasterShake
    Thanks for the invite. Was hoping to do that this year but things got bogged down. Definitely gotta get backup there soon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbikeski View Post
    GO WITH THE FLOW
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flow.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	825914
    Thanks for posting this - I wish I had seen it earlier. We did a VT50 "recovery" ride yesterday, and although we didn't hit all the flow trails, we did manage to ride Falls from Grace, Bypass, and Sluice based on the crappy map that the hotel gave us. I'll keep this one handy for next time.