gefiltephish
    Aug 2006

Ari, from Mid-Coast Maine, seeks optimum shreddage

Hello! My name's Ari, I'll be living in Bar Harbor, ME for at least the next 6 months... Moving from Breckenridge, CO, by way of Las Vegas, NV and outside Washington, DC. I'm looking for some epic technical singletrack, and any potential group riding/carpooling opportunities. I'll be helping build trail with NEMBA groups as soon as I hear of any weekend opportunities round these parts...

- Mid Coast Maine doesn't look like a mecca of vast areas with tons of technical riding. Acadia carriage roads and paved loops will have to do without getting in a car. No true/legal singletrack on the Island?!? Oh well. Maybe I am missing something?

- Where else is there good mountain biking close to me? It looks like Camden snow bowl is gonna be fun. I also checked out Bangor City Forest and Orono Land Trust trails briefly, they seem alright but small. Bradbury state park seems nice, especially with on site camping, but also seems rather small...

- I have three-day weekends all summer. Where are some good weekend trips, with places I can car camp nearby? I'm willing to drive 5+ hours to get to the best stuff. Looks like the Kingdom Trails in East Burke, VT will be a ton of fun. I keep reading decent things about Bear Brook State Park in NH, but it seems small for the lengthy trip it'd be for me... Looks like White Mountain Natl forest has a lot of wilderness areas... Boo!

- For lift assisted, it seems like Sunday River will be fun but pricey once it opens. Do other ski areas have good trails? I'm wondering specifically about Sugarloaf? Weekend trips are gonna get pricey if I gotta pay for gas, then lift access AND lodging...

If anyone is interested in carpooling for weekend trips to the best trails (from MidCoast Maine), speak up! It'd be great to meet some riding buddies and share some gas monies! If there's some super riding areas nearby I'm not mentioning- let me know! I'm itching to ride and want to hit the best spots from the get go!

Thanks a bunch for enduring the rambling and have a happy Monday!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    First, most of us in the Midcoast consider Bar Harbor to be DownEast. Midcoast is approximately Brunswick to the 'Nob Narrows.

I'm not sure what's on the other side of the Nob, but I would suggest checking in with PR-NEMBA as that's more their neck of the woods. Also MaineTrailFinder shows at couple trails DownEast.

Camden is a ton of fun. I think the first day that they spin the lifts this year is father's day, but you can always ride up, and there are a bunch more options in the area. Further along the coast, the next options are around Bath. Hopefully Mc-NEMBA will get to build down around Boothbay soon. Most of our trails were taken over by a land trust, and their board decided they were for hiking only...

CVA has some trails at Sugarloaf, and the CR-NEMBA has been doing a whole bunch of work around there too, but I don't believe their is any lift serve. Looks like there is Saturday trail work and Sunday rides. They are also working with Maine Huts and Trails to have good biking at the huts. Currently you can bike to/between them, but I don't believe there are many options once you are out there.

There are a ton of trails around Bethel, from the Gould trails to SR. Dunno what's going on with it's NEMBA.

Backcountry Excursions is down near Parsonfield and they have 30 miles of trails, but when just trail access is as much if not several times more than a lift ticket, I've had a hard time justifying heading there.

CeMeNEMBA has been doing a ton of work around Augusta. They do trail work every other Tuesday Night and have rides on Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    For weekend trips definitely check out VT.

Kingdom Trails has awesome trail riding, and super fun lift access at Burke Bike Park.

Perry Hill in Waterbury, VT and trails around Stowe, VT definitely provide optimum shreddage. Stowe Mountain Bike > HOME

Burlington, VT area trails (Carse Hills, Hinesburg Town Forest, and more) are also super fun and heck you could have a night or two on the town combined with riding. Fellowship of the Wheel - Home

Down south in VT STAB/Ascutney trails has some amazing singletrack around the base and bottom half of Mt. Ascutney - not to be missed. Sport Trails of the Ascutney Basin > Home

For lift access Highland Mountain Bike Park isn't that far from you, and for DH, FR, big jumps, cool built features, little jumps, flowy DH, and more it really can't be beat. Many of the other mountains are fun as well, but Highland is the real deal and total package. Since you have 3 day weekends definitely hit them up on a Friday since lines will be shorter. Highland Mountain Bike Park

Happy riding!
    Evil Undead & a box of trail bike parts waiting for a new frame

mtbr member
    +1 on Kingdom Trails, and Highland for lift access. There is a ton of good riding in the White Mountains but the majority of it is rogue trail systems and would most certainly require a guide.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

gefiltephish
    Aug 2006
    Nice, thanks much for the advice. Will def be planning some weekends out in Vermont! Good know about highland too, although w a 5 in am bike and a full face, I imagine some stuff may be outta my league. I certainly don't mind riding up either, ill be hitting Camden snow bowl this sat and/or sun.

Any of the Vermont areas have free/cheap camping? I'm used to dispersed/free camping out west but in the NE I imagine you gotta pay private campgrounds more. I don't need any amenities, just cheap and available car camping, hopefully not super crowded. Think it'll be hard to get a spot around kingdom trails Memorial Day weekend?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Most of the easy to find camping in VT is at State Parks. Little River State Park campground is a few miles from Perry Hill in Waterbury and might be worth checking out.

KTA will probably be packed, parking alone tends to be hard to find up there on busy days... get there ahead of the the crowds though and I think you'd be all set. not sure if overnight car camping is allowed though...?

Camping is unofficially permitted at Highland though, right in the parking lot. As long as you're quiet and don't bug the neighbors and cleanup after yourself they tend to be pretty tolerant. At the same time though, there are plenty of cheap hotels in the Tilton, NH area.
    Evil Undead & a box of trail bike parts waiting for a new frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by specialized2 View Post
    Nice, thanks much for the advice. Will def be planning some weekends out in Vermont! Good know about highland too, although w a 5 in am bike and a full face, I imagine some stuff may be outta my league. I certainly don't mind riding up either, ill be hitting Camden snow bowl this sat and/or sun.

Any of the Vermont areas have free/cheap camping? I'm used to dispersed/free camping out west but in the NE I imagine you gotta pay private campgrounds more. I don't need any amenities, just cheap and available car camping, hopefully not super crowded. Think it'll be hard to get a spot around kingdom trails Memorial Day weekend?
    I ride a 5 inch bike and still have a blast at Highland. Just steer clear of the biggest drops. Check out the virtual trail map here Trail Map 2012 ....pretty awesome, POV trailer vids of each trail.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Spec, most of the really good riding in NE is not on a map. Start hitting up local bike shops for there rides you'll learn some good spots. I ride Highlands quite a bit and most of the time it's on my DH bike,but some trails are just funner on my trail bike. If your over in NH for the weekend give Rhino Bike works a call in plymouth nh, they know of a few rides that go out most days. Most of the trails are ninja networks so you will be striped searched before you ride to makes sure you don't have any GPS