mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Any Vermont Bikepackers that could recommend a trail?

I would like to take a trip if I can find a good trail. Is the Long Trail open to bikers? Any outher routes that would be scenic or with good tretches of singletrack? Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The Long Trail is definitely NOT open to cyclists. Plus, even if it were, like most footpaths in New England, it's way too steep and gnarly to be much fun to ride. You'd just end up walking most of it anyway...
    As far as "long stretches of singletrack", don't expect any long distance point to point type of stuff like out west. Most singletrack in Vermont (and New England in general) is in small bits and pieces, often loops. Long rides can be made by linking up these networks, but it involves lots of road/dirt road riding (not necessarily a bad thing).
    There have been efforts to link up some sort of long distance route in Vermont, using as much singletrack and dirt/abandoned roads as possible.
    The best effort I know of is here: xvtmbr / FrontPage

There are plenty of dirt roads, skidder trails, snowmobile trails, singletrack, etc that can potentially make some cool rides. Exploring is part of the fun. Some other VT folks are sure to chime in.
    Be more specific about what you're after so we can guide you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Also, check out bikepacking.net for other suggestions about routes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm interested in doing my first bikepacking trip in Southern VT in April '14 - already putting my kit together for a 3 day adventure. I haven't surveyed maps yet, and am hoping some folks can provide some recommendations.

I'm a bit familiar with the Somerset/Stratton area so might start there.
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    I'm interested in doing my first bikepacking trip in Southern VT in April '14 - already putting my kit together for a 3 day adventure. I haven't surveyed maps yet, and am hoping some folks can provide some recommendations.

I'm a bit familiar with the Somerset/Stratton area so might start there.
    What do you have in mind? What do you have for a setup? I have some ideas for you if you want to chat a bit about it. PM me if you'd like.

Wil

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    thanks Will. After the holiday mayhem dust settles, I'll be in touch. A friend mentioned April is mud season in VT, so I'm considering to sticking to Western MA, but would rather some new terrain to explore.

I have a Salsa Selma Ti singlespeed . Will bring a couple different cogs for varying terrain if needed. So far have the Revelate Viscacha bag. Planning on getting the Revelate handlebar and frame bags. No ultralite tent, so it would be nice to aim for lean-tos.

thanks.
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Bump.

Anywhere in Northern New England or Adirondacks where I could ride a loop or trail network where I can get into the backcountry a bit and camp along the trail? Any suggestions are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Take a look at Green Mountain Trails and Chandler Ridge trails in VT. I stayed in nearby campgrounds, but there are other options I believe. Those feel more "backcountry" to me than other places I've ridden, but you're not going to ride for weeks or anything. The season would be Memorial Day through October, depending on the weather.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    starting in pittsfield
    Frosty Fall Fatbike – Photodump « littlecircles

there is more trail and dirt road to link up, but late fall and the terrain we covered on day 1 limited us on day 2.
    vast trails, class 4 road, and some proper single track.

there is some nice riding around silver lake. chandler ridge, leicester hollow, you can roll onto other trails as well:
    Bikepacking – Silver Lake and GMNF « littlecircles

ADKs, mainly road for this trip, as i was traveling from Burlington to the Utica area to meet up with family:
    ADK Bikepacking « littlecircles

lots more over there, but you get pinched in by water and wilderness.
    i would love to get a pack raft - ride in, hit a wilderness boundary, float on to the next section of trail or road.

moose river plains, while a dirt road, can give you a pretty remote feeling - and there are other options out there to link up NY snowmo trail and MTB trail and jeep trail.

bikecycology has ridden the southern and northern ends of the xvt trail. and we covered some of it on our fall fatbike trip. some nice stuff, but not easy to just download a route and go. its taken me some piecing together. and often includes dirt road in addition to class 4 road, VAST trail, logging roads, and proper single track.

mtbr member
    Speaking for Green Mountain Trails, you can set up a tent at the summit if you'd like. Just give us a heads up. Across Rt 100 there are primitive sites in GMNF as well at the end of Upper Michigan Road.