mtbr member

Any place to ride near Sanbornton, NH?

I got a free night stay at Steel Hill Resort (gotta listen to their time-share shpeel) and was wondering if I should bring the bikes along.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
    I got a free night stay at Steel Hill Resort (gotta listen to their time-share shpeel) and was wondering if I should bring the bikes along.
    Franklin Falls Dam is not to far down the road...probably 20-30 mins. Definately worth bringing the bike for this one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Franklin Falls has some excellent trails. I hope you made it over there!

mtbr member
    mmmm highland, franklin falls, ahern state park.....
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. Franklin Falls looks perfect. Only issue I'm worried about is what to do with the bikes overnight. I don't have a locking rack and I'm not sure they will let us bring them into the resort.

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Franklin Falls looks perfect. Only issue I'm worried about is what to do with the bikes overnight. I don't have a locking rack and I'm not sure they will let us bring them into the resort.
    Squeeze them into the car would be my first choice. It's only overnight and then you toss them back on the roof when you're ready to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd call and ask if you can bring them inside. I have a skinny cable I can wrap around the trunk door and bike rack and then use another to lock the bikes to the rack. You can always leave the expensive parts (wheels, pedals, seats) hiding in the car to be safe but I haven't heard of any crime at the resort.

mtbr member
    I can fit one bike in the back seat of my sedan, but not both. I might try taking both front and rear rims off to see if both will fit...but I just don't feel safe leaving them on the roof (even if they were locked in place). I also don't want to track mud through the resort even if they did allow us to bring them in.

We can always do some hiking and other stuff over the weekend...so it isn't a big loss to leave the bikes at home.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I took my wife to FOMBA last weekend and she had tons of fun. We're going on another ride this afternoon when she gets home from work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There's plenty of hiking around here too : ) I came home last Friday covered in mud and wouldn't have been able to bring my bike inside. I made a huge mess with just myself and my clothes. It was great fun riding in the rain though!

mtbr member
    Got any hiking suggestions then? We'd be looking for two half-day hikes. We're driving up late Saturday morning and can hit anything between Manchester and Sanbornton for an afternoon hike. We've got their presentation to attend Sunday morning but then have the rest of the day free to do whatever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You could hike Kearsage or Oak Hill on your way up. Sunday you could hike Cardigan, Welch and Dickey, Morgan and/or Percival, or Mt Major or Belknap. Oak Hill is off of Exit 16 and I could give you directions to that or the others. Its easy and a nice hike. Either Cardigan or Welch Dickey on Sunday would be my choice for Sunday and only a little ways north.

mtbr member
    I've done Welch/Dickey but my wife hasn't. That's a great hike...as long as it is dry. I wouldn't dare try to traverse those rocky faces on a wet day. My father in law has done a bunch of those so I'll see what he says.

mtbr member
    So the weekend turned out to be a bust.

Saturday started out fine with our plans to do the Welch/Dicky loop. A little cooler than expected but once we hit the trail we were warm. We reached the plateau before the steep climb to the top of Welch. Then it started drizzling. Staying optimistic, we started toward the summit, but the drizzle turned to rain, then sleet. The rock faces became too slick to continue so I made an executive decision to turn back. Others on the trail reached the same conclusion when they saw the 100ft climb over a completely bare rock face.

On our way down, the sun came back out when we reached the plateau. For a minute or so I was second guessing our decision. However I knew if it rained again, the descent from Dicky would be hairy. We decided to cut our losses and head back down the mountain before things got worse. 10 minutes later it started pooring, and it didn't stop until we reached the parking lot. I'm glad we didn't turn around and attempt to go back up. That's not a trail I'd recommend doing in poor weather...we wouldn't have attempted it if rain was in the forecast, but it was supposed to be mostly sunny and 60.

We did a little shopping on our way to Steel Hill and finally arrived at the resort around 5:00. There were two young women at the front office. They gave us our keys and told us where to go. As we enter the building, it became apparent that a wedding reception was about to begin. Only when we reached our room did we realize it was right below us and all we could hear was the dj on the mic. Seriously?

Back to the front office we go to get another room. This time they put us on the other end of the compound. The suite was nice...but it had two small beds...no queen/king. Seriously? The room didn't even have a phone for us to call down to the front office. We drove back down, handed in the keys and left. At that point we were done. The restaurant, where we planned to eat dinner, was right next to the wedding, so that wasn't going to pan out. We were looking at driving down the hill to Tilton anyway for dinner, and why bother driving back up the hill when we could go home and stay in our own bed....so that's what we did.

The resort didn't look half bad, but the women at the front office obviously didn't have a clue what they were doing. When a couple comes in (not part of the wedding gala), you don't place them in the room above the reception hall....and you don't place them in a room with two single beds after they call you out on your mistake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's horrible! It sounds so unprofessional and the girls at the desk obviously didn't have a clue as to what they were doing. We backpacked up to Crag Camp Friday and stayed one night there before hiking out in the rain. We had a great time, woke up to snow coming down Saturday morning, then fog rolled in and then rain so he had no luck getting me to summit anything. Heading home was a great decision for us too : ) So much for a forecast of a stellar weekend ha!