mtbr member

Any endurance races on the Kingdom Trails?

I like riding new trails during a race since they're usually well marked with a good route. I prefer that to exploring on my own so that I can maximize my quality saddle time. I've been wanting to check out the Kingdom Trails for a while now since I've read so much about them recently. I found the Circumburke and see that it covers some of the trails but I wasn't sure if included the best stuff or not. Are there any other races with an endurance option on the Kingdom Trail system? I like to ride for 5-6 at least if I'm road-tripping to ride.

2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29er 1x10
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS rigid
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid
    Southern Maryland Crew

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    CircumBurke definitely does not include the best of Burke's trails. Barely covers any of them it is mostly old roads that are rarely ridden except for that one weekend. As far as places to explore though, it doesn't get any easier than Burke with the map and well-signed trails.

mtbr member
    Thanks! So are there any other endurance races on the Kingdom Trails? If not, how long of a loop can a newbie to the area easily piece together of XC type trails with a map?
    Southern Maryland Crew

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I've done a 40 mile ride there without having to get very creative.

mtbr member
    Go to the visitor center in East Burke and they will give you plenty of options. The trails are very well marked and the free maps they provide are detailed. It is very easy to do a 30 miler or more.
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member

Any endurance races on the Kingdom Trails?

To answer the question...no. KTA doesn't host races on the trail system mainly because of the landowner needs and requests. I think it is in their bylaws (just something I heard through the grapevine) that they can't hold races. I'm with you though, and while it is well marked, nothing interrupts your flow like stopping every 1/2 mile to look at a map. While the trails are great and well marked, they are also short for the most part. Circumburke barely touches the actual trail network. Millstone does a 12... Just sayin'.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    To answer the question...no. KTA doesn't host races on the trail system mainly because of the landowner needs and requests. I think it is in their bylaws (just something I heard through the grapevine) that they can't hold races. I'm with you though, and while it is well marked, nothing interrupts your flow like stopping every 1/2 mile to look at a map. While the trails are great and well marked, they are also short for the most part. Circumburke barely touches the actual trail network. Millstone does a 12... Just sayin'.
    the Millstone grind is coming ups as well. with Cat 1-3 races and the marathon race. The marathon race is 4 laps of an 8 mile mostly singletrack loop.

mtbr member
    Thanks all!
    Southern Maryland Crew