Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Icebiker

Any 411 on Pine Hill conditions in Rutland?

Looking to see if the snow's been sufficiently packed down from the 12" or so that fell Christmas week and any other recent precip. Of course it'll probably soften this weekend, so likely no go...but still curious as to how it's faring.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Pine Hill

I'm also wondering whether there's any snow left on the ground at Pine Hill. Thinking about riding this weekend after things freeze up again. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye View Post
    Looking to see if the snow's been sufficiently packed down from the 12" or so that fell Christmas week and any other recent precip. Of course it'll probably soften this weekend, so likely no go...but still curious as to how it's faring.

Thanks

Moderator Moderator
    Webcams can be handy. See nearby Brandon & Fair Haven views here Webcam Search Results for Rutland, Vermont - EarthCam Doesn't look like much snow is left.

Icebiker
    I rode there 1/19...was about 2 inches on the trails, a little more in the woods....but don't have the latest.

This is the overlook...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Updates?

Was it bare ground before the recent light snow?

Planning on a ride late Sunday morning-studs recommended?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Great ride

Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Was it bare ground before the recent light snow?

Planning on a ride late Sunday morning-studs recommended?
    Answering my own question-definitely studs. Good bit of ice under dusting to 1" of new snow. Great ride-good people, sunny and relatively warm while still frozen trails and fast, fairly predictable conditions. Pretty standard perimeter loop ending with half pipe on the way back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Current conditions? Have things packed down from the last snow. Temps looking good by the weekend, especially Sat/Sunday mornings.

customized
    Sep 2003
    What's the word on Pine Hill? It looks like it could be pretty good before the storm.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I took the pup for a walk there yesterday and there's a very light (1-2") hard-packed snow cover with some ice. Ideal conditions if you have studs but doable without them as long as you stay on your toes. Ran into a fat biker (non-studded) heading out and he mentioned he didn't run into many issues with the ice.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Sweet, thanks. Do you think that the whole trail system has similar conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytvt View Post
    I took the pup for a walk there yesterday and there's a very light (1-2") hard-packed snow cover with some ice. Ideal conditions if you have studs but doable without them as long as you stay on your toes. Ran into a fat biker (non-studded) heading out and he mentioned he didn't run into many issues with the ice.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was out there again today. The deeper into the park you go (where there's been less foot traffic) the less icy it is. Much of the lower stuff has really been tromped by the walkers and is the slickest part. The trail head up to the kiosk is a sheet of ice but it gets progressively better from there. Only about 1/2" of snow left and going fast this afternoon.

Icebiker
    I'm coming up to Rutland this Thursday for some boarding. Bringing the bike. What's the latest on Pine Hill...wasn't sure if you got snow after jaytvt's last post....thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm coming up to Rutland this Thursday for some boarding. Bringing the bike. What's the latest on Pine Hill...wasn't sure if you got snow after jaytvt's last post....thanks
    I'm an hour north and conditions here are the best they've been all year. 4-6 inches on the ground, packed out on most trails. Fast and grippy! Fun stuff!

Icebiker

Great Conditions

Rode there Sunday 3/3.

2" of fresh, on a bed of hardpack crunchy ice, with light snow falling. Perfect. Friend rode there yesterday, said it was still great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Has anyone ridden Pine Hill this past week? Conditions?

Rode there Sunday 3/3.

2" of fresh, on a bed of hardpack crunchy ice, with light snow falling. Perfect. Friend rode there yesterday, said it was still great.

mtbr member
    My wife and i were there today hiking with the dog and the trails are a mess....a lot of ground was still frozen this Am and almost all of the snow is gone but as our hike progressed it became obvious that the trails have taken a serious beating during the last warm up and rain. The trails are filled with deep ruts almost everywhere. No closure signs but there is a sign requesting some specific riding behavior given the conditions. I won't ride there yet but that's just me. All moot however given the 9-16" expected Monday night through Weds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Thanks

Thanks for the info. We ended up staying up north and doing one of the best snow rides all year. Glad we steered clear since it sounds like the trails were in a more fragile state than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by jlkvt View Post
    My wife and i were there today hiking with the dog and the trails are a mess....a lot of ground was still frozen this Am and almost all of the snow is gone but as our hike progressed it became obvious that the trails have taken a serious beating during the last warm up and rain. The trails are filled with deep ruts almost everywhere. No closure signs but there is a sign requesting some specific riding behavior given the conditions. I won't ride there yet but that's just me. All moot however given the 9-16" expected Monday night through Weds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Figured I'd share this photo that was posted to the Pine Hill Park Facebook page.

Any 411 on Pine Hill conditions in Rutland?-543882_4803858254686_568246066_n.jpg

From the looks of it please stay off of Pine Hill until the freeze-thaw cycle relents. The trails are taking a really bad beating from users getting out while the soil is soft.

Hate to see all the hard work undone by people too eager to get out before things are ready.
    Last edited by BigAirSkier1580; 04-04-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    2005 Cannondale Jekyll with Manitou Minute Super 140mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I rode there yesterday morning. The front side up to the pond was wet and required some walking. Once up past the pond and riding on the far side of the powerlines there was alot of trail in very good shape. Worth the trip if you are ready to spend some time walking. My first time there. Really impressed.

mtbr member
    We are lucky to have PHP in the area indeed Once things dry up it's almost impossible to have much in the way of wet/muddy trails there as they all drain so well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Any possibility of trails drying enough for Sunday afternoon riding? Some sun and wind today and in the morning, not sure how much rain/sleet Georgetti got yesterday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Any possibility of trails drying enough for Sunday afternoon riding? Some sun and wind today and in the morning, not sure how much rain/sleet Georgetti got yesterday.
    Bump....anybody??

mtbr member
    My wife and I just rode PHP and it's dry as a bone in most places. The only closed trail is Overlook from the intersection with Jersey TPKE down the hill to the intersection with 999, other than that it's pretty much dry as a bone and we rode approximately 80% of the park.

mtbr member
    Hoping to ride tomorrow, think it will be ok with last nights rains?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    PHP is 100% open and about 99% bone dry. Our trails recover and dry out super fast.

One a side note, if you do come to visit and bring a dog, there is a leash law in the park. It's for your pet and other visitors' safety. I'm starting to get really chaffed about all the animals running around without owners control. Please be considerate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast