Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

All My Posts Say 'Fast, Flowy' - In Vermont this Weekend

I will be in Vermont riding this weekend. Going to do KT on Saturday. I will be driving home form Stowe to Boston on Sunday and was looking for a place to ride on my way back. It could be Stowe, Southern Vt, Southern Nh, anywhere along the route is fine. As usual, I'm looking for fast flowy trails with ~15 miles and also something new. I've done FFD, Bear Brook, FOMBA, Plymouth/Holderness, so those are out of the equation. Ideally I'd like to ride somewhere in Vt that is scenic with great fast flowy trails, but I have very little knowledge of Vt trails outside of KT. Any recommendations would be appreciated. So far I've looked at Stowe, Millstone, Pine Hill Park, Waterbury, and Morristown, but its hard to gauge the fast flowy factor based on reviews.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd hit Ascutney. Would be perfect. They sell a trail map at the Brownsville General store. Just park up at the base of the ski area. Check out STABVT.org

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerm70 View Post
    I'd hit Ascutney. Would be perfect. They sell a trail map at the Brownsville General store. Just park up at the base of the ski area. Check out STABVT.org

Have fun.
    Thanks, there's a lot of segments/routes I can pull from strava, looks like a lot of trails.

mtbr member
    You may already know this but some great fast and flowy at KT are the following:

Ridge, Troll Stroll, Tody's Tour, Tap N Die, Sidewinder, Kitchel, Sky Dive.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I would consider only a couple trail in stowe fast and flowly.

check out Saxon Hill in Essex, Blueberry lake, Norwich trails in northfield and Pine Hill Park in Rutland.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I heard a chunk of the private section of Saxon hill just got logged so while the FOTW trails are still there the overall riding may be less scenic and more limited. Meanwhile there is plenty of other great riding around VT away from that controversy so it shoudl be a great weekend. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The logged part seems to be a sort of a peripheral area at the bottom. Paper Route or something. I never rode it pre-logging, but no biggie IMHO.

Anyway, Stowe seems pretty fast and flowy to me. If you are staying in Stowe, you might as well ride it first thing then hit Waterbury or Northfield on your way down the road to Boston.

mtbr member
    Hit Kimmers and Hardys Haul......at Stowe ......fast n flowy.....
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Kimmer is not fast and flowly anymore trust me on this. Hardy is but the lack of bermerage on the DH is not exactly awesome. The berms are built to go up.

trail magician
    Carse is not what I'd call flowy, but it's in good shape, and kinda fast. Carse Hills VT 8/18/13 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ascutney has some great trails but there is some climbing involved. Was there for the festival and had a great time. Trails are definitely worth riding. As said in an earlier reply Brownsville General store sells the map. All trails are well marked. Hard to get lost. Worth checking out.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    Kimmer is not fast and flowly anymore trust me on this. Hardy is but the lack of bermerage on the DH is not exactly awesome. The berms are built to go up.
    Yeah, Kimmers is getting pretty beat up. Folks riding in the wet isn't helping. On the other hand, Hardy's is probably one of the funnest climbs around. Not very often that uphill switchbacks are fun, but they are on that one.
    Rode at Hineburg Town Forest this weekend. That place is pretty fun, and definitely not as worn out as Stowe is getting...

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    Yeah, Kimmers is getting pretty beat up. Folks riding in the wet isn't helping. On the other hand, Hardy's is probably one of the funnest climbs around. Not very often that uphill switchbacks are fun, but they are on that one.
    Rode at Hineburg Town Forest this weekend. That place is pretty fun, and definitely not as worn out as Stowe is getting...
    kimmer was way better prior to the crazy amount of guide stones put in the second year it was open. Basically caused more skidding since most of the turns are stupid hard to rail in flow now, and the stones can catch pedal even when they are up on the inside of the turn.

instead of arming the sides of the trail maybe they could armor the wet spots better......

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Norwich University Shaw Outdoor Center on Vimeo
    Could do 15 miles here. Some climbing, some old school flow, some new school fast and flowy. That flows into this... Norwich University XC Bike Trail Downhill - YouTube The climbs are kinda big ad the OldScool stuff is kinda trechy, but also flowy for betteidrs....kinda like Kimmers. exit 5. pm me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for all the info, everyone. I'm anxious to try a lot of your recommendations. I wound up riding at KT on saturday (as planned) and Ascutney on Sunday. For anyone that hasn't done Ascutney, I'd get there soon. It was amazing. I think it rivals KT and, with time, may surpass it. The scenery is as good if not better. There are a lot of fast flowy trails. There are more intermediate to expert trails providing a better balance. There is a lot of climbing, I did 3500 vert in 20 miles on Sunday. Additionally, there are tons of miles of trails in that area that I didn't even come close to, so I imagine the mileage is pretty significant total, even if it doesn't rival KT. Having done KT twice and Ascutney once, I think they are pretty close. With a little more work and for me personally, more exploring, I may definitively choose Ascutney over KT, and fast, flowy trails are my fav. It is much less popular and much less trafficked, so no riding behind people obnoxiously and slowly. Get to Ascutney!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    PS I would love some recommendations on specific routes at Ascutney. As I mentioned, the hills are frequent and big, so knowing the ideal routes and where to ascend/descend is crucial in an area like this. If anyone has done Ascutney a lot and has an idea on how to maximize the ascents please let us know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ajavt View Post
    I heard a chunk of the private section of Saxon hill just got logged so while the FOTW trails are still there the overall riding may be less scenic and more limited. Meanwhile there is plenty of other great riding around VT away from that controversy so it shoudl be a great weekend. Enjoy!
    I was just at Saxon today, the logging part has expanded. I'm not saying you should give it a miss, but it seems like about half the area is currently out of action. I hope it is not lost permanently.

mtbr member
    A majority of the riding at Green Mountain Trails (GMT) in Pittsfield (near Killington) is fast and flowy and there's a 1k foot descent that you can shuttle most of the way up. I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't had a great time here. I've been managing the trails for the last several years. Website below....We're free.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    lstone84, go to stabvt,org and shoot them an email about ascutney. They will be able to tell you some ways to maximize your riding time. I was there for the festival and did some afternoon rides just me and the girlfriend. From riding with guides in the mornings I was able to piece together some really good flowy rides. The map definitely helps but they will have some great routes for you.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lstone84 View Post
    PS I would love some recommendations on specific routes at Ascutney. As I mentioned, the hills are frequent and big, so knowing the ideal routes and where to ascend/descend is crucial in an area like this. If anyone has done Ascutney a lot and has an idea on how to maximize the ascents please let us know.
    I'm working on a map to show suggested direction. There aren't many trails that aren't better going downhill, but some trails are just not good climbers, or should definitely be experienced in a certain direction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    I was just at Saxon today, the logging part has expanded. I'm not saying you should give it a miss, but it seems like about half the area is currently out of action. I hope it is not lost permanently.
    The only trails at Saxon that FOTW still have acess to are Flo and Free Fall. The other trails are on private property that have been posted. The property owner has been known to press charges. This is the problem with bike clubs and public use. I don't know what the answer is. But disgruntled land owners with unknowing riders on their property is a real obstacle for our sport. Personally, I get annoyed when I see riders dive down a trail surrounded by posted signs then play dumb when they are questioned about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    lstone84, go to stabvt,org and shoot them an email about ascutney. They will be able to tell you some ways to maximize your riding time. I was there for the festival and did some afternoon rides just me and the girlfriend. From riding with guides in the mornings I was able to piece together some really good flowy rides. The map definitely helps but they will have some great routes for you.
    Check out my post "Ascutney Trails Update."

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spokestoke View Post
    The only trails at Saxon that FOTW still have acess to are Flo and Free Fall. The other trails are on private property that have been posted. The property owner has been known to press charges. This is the problem with bike clubs and public use. I don't know what the answer is. But disgruntled land owners with unknowing riders on their property is a real obstacle for our sport. Personally, I get annoyed when I see riders dive down a trail surrounded by posted signs then play dumb when they are questioned about it.
    Interesting. When we rode there yesterday we rode Flo to FreeFall - Flo again to Mojo to (I think LoFlo) all without being willfully ignorant of closures. We did notice a huge sign on our way from MoJo to Flo, but it seemed to be facing the wrong way as if it was telling us not o leave the trail and use the land between Flo and the road. When we started toward MidFlo (I think) we saw a huge sign and the logging in progress. If so much of that is off-limits, the maps posted on site should probably be replaced and the directional arrows that we followed removed.

mtbr member
    I agree that an outdaded map should be replaced. Unfortunately, it looks like all the trails on private property will soon be wiped out by the logging operation anyway.

mtbr member
    So sad about Saxon Hill and logging. The lower trails on the private property were so nice, and I know that years ago, there was extensive plans for to link more with the network. At least the upper trails are protect since they are owned by the Town.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast