Maine (no hunting on Sundays)
    Oct 31 - Nov 26: deer & bear/regular firearms
    Nov 28 - Dec 3 and 12/5-12/10 in selected areas: deer/muzzleloader

Vermont
    Sep 1 - Nov 16: Bear
    Nov 5 & 6: Youth deer weekend
    Nov 12 - Nov 27: deer/regular firearms
    Dec 3 - Dec 11: deer/muzzleloader
    Last edited by radair; 11-07-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for posting this... Be smart and wear orange!
    While it is the hunters responsibility to not shoot you - it's your responsibility to be seen.
    Don't tempt fate!

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    New Hampshire
    Oct 29 - Nov 8: deer/muzzleloader
    Nov 9 - Dec 4: deer/regular firearms
    When is it Rog hunting season?
    beaver hunt

Hazardous to your health!
    no hunting on sundays??? thats strange lol sundays is the best day for hunting for me...ofc that doesnt matter because my deer season is over lol 5 bucks this year for my family (othert parts of ca still going tho so we might see more)
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Maine also has a muzzleloader season statewide 11/28-12/3 and in selected areas 12/5-12/10.

The no hunting on Sunday blue law is pretty fair. Hunters and non hunters each get 1 weekend day to enjoy the woods without conflicts. I'll be off for a rake & ride today on Range Pond Park lands that allow hunting for that matter.

Also, Libby Hill in Gray is in a state wildlife preserve area where there is no hunting any day. I still wore my orange while raking there yesterday, regardless.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by unsmowler View Post
    Maine also has a muzzleloader season statewide 11/28-12/3 and in selected areas 12/5-12/10...
    Fixed it, thanks.

Three people have already been shot in Maine, one fatally. Remember that we are fairly fast and silent on bikes, especially on leaf-blown trails.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    especially on leaf-blown trails.
    throw us a bone.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

where is closed to hunting

Hi,
    I was wondering if Fort Rock, Bear Brook, or FOMBA was closed to hunting? I wanted to ride this saturday, but am concerned about upsetting the hunters ( and getting shot.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregburb View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering if Fort Rock, Bear Brook, or FOMBA was closed to hunting? I wanted to ride this saturday, but am concerned about upsetting the hunters ( and getting shot.)
    Regardless of posted closures, always assume hunters are where you are. Hunters wander.

Wear hunter orange and it is likely you will be one of the 99.9999% that is never shot at their entire life.

mtbr member
    i've seen hunters in those places at one time or another and in others posted no hunting. some of the local hunters dont think signs apply to them. i've never been shot at, but if it is a major concern you can ride at night or in mass on sunday

I'd Huck That....
    Seen a few hunters around the FOMBAs , but they usually stay towards the Tower Hill pond area haven't ran into any on the single tracks. There is also hunting around Bear Brook and the Newfields side of Fort Rock. Don't forget to where your orange and a bell if ya have it.. If you ride in MA just remember there is no hunting on Sundays. I'll be out riding FOMBA Saturday too. Ill be on a Kona Coiler enjoy

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Personally, I just stay out of the woods for the next two weeks (living in VT). There are too many inbred idiots who think deer season is a time to get completely drunk at camp before heading out into the woods with a rifle in their hands. Too many fools talking about "sound shots" (ie, "I shot at something I heard"). These are ones that shoot at cows. Cows! A cow looks NOTHING like a deer other than having 4 legs! I grew up hunting and have nothing against it in principle but will not risk my life during the deer season in Vt. It is a miracle that there are not more fatalities.

If you're going to risk it, wear lots of orange and make plenty of noise that could not be mistaken for wildlife. Getting some jingle bells (Christmas is in full swing in the stores now) and hang them around your hubs or bars might not be a bad idea.

Tool
    I agree with the others here for this reason: a hunter who is unwilling to or incapable of identifying his prey before shooting probably isn't all that concerned with following other rules. Assume they're everywhere.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Went out to clear the Gnomes on Nov 6, drove thru the school lot and parked on the dirt rd by the powerlines, just as a hunter walked around a deadfall on the road and past my car, shotgun in hand, no response to a friendly wave. He was actually on school property, which is a FEDERAL no-gun zone, no guns within 1000' of the propery line, with a big fine possible. You have to assume that if you're in the woods, someone is hunting. If I remember correctly, in Mass, a high school runner was shot last year on Sunday in a no hunting area.
    Twenty odd years ago I lived up north and rode a white bike and had a white helmet. One day during hunting season I was riding a smooth, flat, pine needle covered trail at pretty good speed when a gun went off very close by . My heart rate hit a lifetime high. They were shooting in another direction, but it was a great lesson, I've never forgotten that feeling. Orange and noise for me, too.

mtbr member
    I've seen at least one hunter every day I've been out riding. I usually ride with a friend or two and between our chatting and noise makers I think the hunters were ready to shoot us just for scaring everything away.

We did however catch a glimpse at a doe last week. I saw a porcupine too. Never seen one before.

mtbr member

they are every where

we were going to do some trail work, just off the road. with this a truck pulls over and 2 hunters pop out with shotguns, gave us the evil eye and headed into the woods. the area they went in to is not very big, surrounded by houses, roads and a lake. granted it is not posted. whatever, i said they are wasting their time, i've been in these woods almost everyday and haven't seen any deer all season. we went to where we were working and to my surprise spooked a giant buck and it ran right in the direction of the hunters. i told my girlfriend to lay on the ground because the shots were going to fly, so we did, but no shots. that one got away. i got the feeling that these guys may have been trying to track this deer, they were driving fast when they pulled in, got out of their truck ready with their guns and hunters caps, clothing, and only hesitated long enough to give us a stare and in they went. my point being that these are small patches of woods divided by roads that hunters can drive to the next street quickly. one minute there not there and the next minute they are. assume they are always there. im not against hunting by any means, but this type of tactic seems to be getting more popular in this area, hampstead, atkinson. its a little bit scary, they may be in their legal right, and responsable hunters, but a little too close for comfort.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's over in NH! Archery is still on 'till the 10th, but I like those odds better. I believe Mass is still muzzleloader until Dec 10th, archery till the 15th. Quiet again!