Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rub but no Rub. What's the Rub?

Went out with the bike today in the 160mm mode and flat landed a medium sized (3-4') BMX jump five or six times real hard to see if I could get it to rub. The shock was set at 200lbs and 20%(ish) sag and 215lbs of royal self on the bike. Zero rub.

On the stand, when I completely let the air out of the shock I get rub. In real life on the trail, no rub. So... no rub, until it rubs I guess. Either way I'd still like a rocker that split the difference at 150mm and was as progressive as the 140mm setting on the current rocker.

All that said, awesome frame. It's held up well over a season of use and abuse and the geo is spot on for me. My only real complaint is that it doesn't fly or peddle itself up hills

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Fai do you have a picture of your dropouts?

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    zeus dropout
    This is the dropout type on the two Zeus frames we have. I know this is not a 142x12 but it still has the machined dimple as the 142x12 dropout on mine has. As you can see the axle is further back than the one on the Zeus pictured in Dirt Rag.
    AJR

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Zeus frame design flaw?-ventanazeus-6.jpg

you're right, looks like 1/4" plus

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have had my Zeus for over a year, and it has never rubbed under my fat ass! Seriously the best bike I have ever owned and I owned a bike shop for 14 years. Quality is second to none, and Sherwood stands by his products 100%. If there is a problem it will be fixed.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    160mm setting and fully compressed. The tire is easily pressed into the seattube about an 1/8 of an inch.
    Should not happen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Damn it, i got rub today. Big G-out to a step up and- Brbrbrbrbrb. Didn't effect much, but it was there.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Damn it, i got rub today. Big G-out to a step up and- Brbrbrbrbrb. Didn't effect much, but it was there.
    That sucks! Do you know if you have the correct dropouts? I wonder if their is a solution yet to the problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure what the correct dropouts are? I forgot to mention that I just mounted a pair of fresh Conti 2.4 Mountain Kings- they seem narrower but maybe slightly taller than the poky Hans Dampf tires that they replaced. Nice to be running Conti's again, even if they buzzz!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    That sucks! Do you know if you have the correct dropouts? I wonder if their is a solution yet to the problem.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Not sure what the correct dropouts are? I forgot to mention that I just mounted a pair of fresh Conti 2.4 Mountain Kings- they seem narrower but maybe slightly taller than the poky Hans Dampf tires that they replaced. Nice to be running Conti's again, even if they buzzz!
    Posts #3 & #4 on this page show pictures of both.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    not the greatest pic, but it seems to be more milled out than post #4 and maybe slightly further back.

Zeus frame design flaw?-img_1446.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    Posts #3 & #4 on this page show pictures of both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    not the greatest pic, but it seems to be more milled out than post #4 and maybe slightly further back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1446.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	846231
    Mine looks pretty much like Wipp's, but I am definitely not getting rub will full compression and Maxxis High-Roller II's 2.5...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK, this is a completely stupid oversight on my part- after cleaning up my bike I noticed that my new rear wheel way out of dish, enough to easily cause rub in a G out, so I don't think there was any rub on the seat tube it was completely on the seat stay and completely my fault. After re-dishing the wheel I went back to the same trails and zero rub. So... no rub.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    Mine looks pretty much like Wipp's, but I am definitely not getting rub will full compression and Maxxis High-Roller II's 2.5...

Proud lame eBiker
    OK, this is a completely stupid oversight on my part- after cleaning up my bike I noticed that my new rear wheel way out of dish, enough to easily cause rub in a G out, so I don't think there was any rub on the seat tube it was completely on the seat stay and completely my fault. After re-dishing the wheel I went back to the same trails and zero rub. So... no rub.
    Brilliant!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Team Chilidog!
    So a wheel out of dish causes the rub?
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    So a wheel out of dish causes the rub?
    "a completely stupid oversight on my part- after cleaning up my bike I noticed that my new rear wheel way out of dish, enough to easily cause rub in a G out, so I don't think there was any rub on the seat tube it was completely on the seat stay and completely my fault."

I'm guessing this: Wheel out of dish...probably undertensioned, possibly....27.5" rim/wheel a bit more flex to it than a 26"......when loading the bike hard in the g-out it was probably not spot on dead straight up and down perpendicular to ground so loaded frame/flexed rim/tire buzzed SEATSTAY.

wigg was hyper aware of any tire rub noise after reading this thread and heard the noise and drew his conclusions without due diligence of deflating rear shock and compressing shock to see if it WAS the tire hitting the SEAT TUBE.

I'm making a HUGE amount of ASSumptions in my theory....so we'll have to wait for wigg to get back to this thread. He's probably out ripping it up instead of e-biking like the rest of us saps staring at a computer.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Who's Wigg?

I'm guessing this: Wheel out of dish...probably undertensioned, possibly....27.5" rim/wheel a bit more flex to it than a 26"......when loading the bike hard in the g-out it was probably not spot on dead straight up and down perpendicular to ground so loaded frame/flexed rim/tire buzzed SEATSTAY.

wigg was hyper aware of any tire rub noise after reading this thread and heard the noise and drew his conclusions without due diligence of deflating rear shock and compressing shock to see if it WAS the tire hitting the SEAT TUBE.

I'm making a HUGE amount of ASSumptions in my theory....so we'll have to wait for wigg to get back to this thread. He's probably out ripping it up instead of e-biking like the rest of us saps staring at a computer.[/QUOTE]

Proud lame eBiker
    Wigg=wipp At least in my feable mind. Doh!

Who's Wigg?

B

I'm making a HUGE amount of ASSumptions in my theory....so we'll have to wait for wigg to get back to this thread. He's probably out ripping it up instead of e-biking like the rest of us saps staring at a computer.
    [/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK.
    So, both the Conti and the Hans Dampf rub if all the air is out of the shock. Neither rubs if my wheel isn't almost a 'friggin half inch out of dish and I've got air in the shock. The wheel is a new build and was properly tensioned. I'm guessing that it wasn't set in the stand correctly for the final round of tensioning nor was it checked for dish afterwards. It was an easy enough fix and all is good.

Still a huge fan of the bike and looking forward to racing it next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Wigg=wipp At least in my feable mind. Doh!
    [/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi Guys, any word yet on what caused the rub. If they find it they should give it back to dirt mag to let them have a go at it again.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by TPA8580 View Post
    Hi Guys, any word yet on what caused the rub. If they find it they should give it back to dirt mag to let them have a go at it again.
    I've got the bike now, flogging it and finding NO RUB, will do a full write up when I'm done demo'ing. But for now, here's a teaser pic. Zero rub after this Clyde did this drop twice.

-Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Great shot and technique.
    AJR

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Can you bottom-out the shock in 160mm mode without tire/frame contact?

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have never been able to get the tyre to touch even when I knock the o- ring off the shock.
    AJR

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    Can you bottom-out the shock in 160mm mode without tire/frame contact?
    I bottomed out the shock on the first drop, (O-ring fell off shaft)
    and no rub. Second attempt o-ring did not fall off (measured out to 58mm of stroke and again no rub.

I wanted to wait for my full review before explaining, but simply put. The issue was human error. As seen in the DR picture the 26" Dropouts were installed for checking alignment. And accidently left on. They should have been swapped out for the 27.5 dropouts that are marked by the extra machined divots, round for 135mm and squared off for thru axle.

All customer bikes go through secondary QC that would have caught this error, The DR bike didn't as it was shipped out right away to them.

Mechanically the design is just fine. As demonstrated by my 225#ís beating on it without any issues.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast