Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    not the greatest pic, but it seems to be more milled out than post #4 and maybe slightly further back.

Zeus frame design flaw?-img_1446.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    Posts #3 & #4 on this page show pictures of both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    not the greatest pic, but it seems to be more milled out than post #4 and maybe slightly further back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1446.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	846231
    Mine looks pretty much like Wipp's, but I am definitely not getting rub will full compression and Maxxis High-Roller II's 2.5...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK, this is a completely stupid oversight on my part- after cleaning up my bike I noticed that my new rear wheel way out of dish, enough to easily cause rub in a G out, so I don't think there was any rub on the seat tube it was completely on the seat stay and completely my fault. After re-dishing the wheel I went back to the same trails and zero rub. So... no rub.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    Mine looks pretty much like Wipp's, but I am definitely not getting rub will full compression and Maxxis High-Roller II's 2.5...

Proud lame eBiker
    OK, this is a completely stupid oversight on my part- after cleaning up my bike I noticed that my new rear wheel way out of dish, enough to easily cause rub in a G out, so I don't think there was any rub on the seat tube it was completely on the seat stay and completely my fault. After re-dishing the wheel I went back to the same trails and zero rub. So... no rub.
    Brilliant!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    So a wheel out of dish causes the rub?
    "a completely stupid oversight on my part- after cleaning up my bike I noticed that my new rear wheel way out of dish, enough to easily cause rub in a G out, so I don't think there was any rub on the seat tube it was completely on the seat stay and completely my fault."

I'm guessing this: Wheel out of dish...probably undertensioned, possibly....27.5" rim/wheel a bit more flex to it than a 26"......when loading the bike hard in the g-out it was probably not spot on dead straight up and down perpendicular to ground so loaded frame/flexed rim/tire buzzed SEATSTAY.

wigg was hyper aware of any tire rub noise after reading this thread and heard the noise and drew his conclusions without due diligence of deflating rear shock and compressing shock to see if it WAS the tire hitting the SEAT TUBE.

I'm making a HUGE amount of ASSumptions in my theory....so we'll have to wait for wigg to get back to this thread. He's probably out ripping it up instead of e-biking like the rest of us saps staring at a computer.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Who's Wigg?

I'm guessing this: Wheel out of dish...probably undertensioned, possibly....27.5" rim/wheel a bit more flex to it than a 26"......when loading the bike hard in the g-out it was probably not spot on dead straight up and down perpendicular to ground so loaded frame/flexed rim/tire buzzed SEATSTAY.

wigg was hyper aware of any tire rub noise after reading this thread and heard the noise and drew his conclusions without due diligence of deflating rear shock and compressing shock to see if it WAS the tire hitting the SEAT TUBE.

I'm making a HUGE amount of ASSumptions in my theory....so we'll have to wait for wigg to get back to this thread. He's probably out ripping it up instead of e-biking like the rest of us saps staring at a computer.[/QUOTE]

Proud lame eBiker
    Wigg=wipp At least in my feable mind. Doh!

Who's Wigg?

B

I'm making a HUGE amount of ASSumptions in my theory....so we'll have to wait for wigg to get back to this thread. He's probably out ripping it up instead of e-biking like the rest of us saps staring at a computer.
    [/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK.
    So, both the Conti and the Hans Dampf rub if all the air is out of the shock. Neither rubs if my wheel isn't almost a 'friggin half inch out of dish and I've got air in the shock. The wheel is a new build and was properly tensioned. I'm guessing that it wasn't set in the stand correctly for the final round of tensioning nor was it checked for dish afterwards. It was an easy enough fix and all is good.

Still a huge fan of the bike and looking forward to racing it next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Wigg=wipp At least in my feable mind. Doh!
    [/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi Guys, any word yet on what caused the rub. If they find it they should give it back to dirt mag to let them have a go at it again.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by TPA8580 View Post
    Hi Guys, any word yet on what caused the rub. If they find it they should give it back to dirt mag to let them have a go at it again.
    I've got the bike now, flogging it and finding NO RUB, will do a full write up when I'm done demo'ing. But for now, here's a teaser pic. Zero rub after this Clyde did this drop twice.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/31268906@N08/12092313035/player/3c654be421" height="708" width="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Great shot and technique.
    AJR

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Can you bottom-out the shock in 160mm mode without tire/frame contact?

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have never been able to get the tyre to touch even when I knock the o- ring off the shock.
    AJR

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    Can you bottom-out the shock in 160mm mode without tire/frame contact?
    I bottomed out the shock on the first drop, (O-ring fell off shaft)
    and no rub. Second attempt o-ring did not fall off (measured out to 58mm of stroke and again no rub.

I wanted to wait for my full review before explaining, but simply put. The issue was human error. As seen in the DR picture the 26" Dropouts were installed for checking alignment. And accidently left on. They should have been swapped out for the 27.5 dropouts that are marked by the extra machined divots, round for 135mm and squared off for thru axle.

All customer bikes go through secondary QC that would have caught this error, The DR bike didn't as it was shipped out right away to them.

Mechanically the design is just fine. As demonstrated by my 225#ís beating on it without any issues.
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the info. Good to hear that the DR Zeus was an isolated problem.

So now I'm wondering what happens when one bolts up the Zeus dropouts to a Ciclon. 650b clearance?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Second that. I've tried but it just won't rub ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    a totally honest mistake made by people working for a totally honest company. that's the way i see it.
    breezy shade

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The swingarm is the same but the brake stay and rockers are different. You would probably have clearance problems at full travel as well as messing with the bb height.
    AJR

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    I wanted to wait for my full review before explaining, but simply put. The issue was human error. As seen in the DR picture the 26" Dropouts were installed for checking alignment. And accidently left on. They should have been swapped out for the 27.5 dropouts that are marked by the extra machined divots, round for 135mm and squared off for thru axle.

All customer bikes go through secondary QC that would have caught this error, The DR bike didn't as it was shipped out right away to them.

Mechanically the design is just fine. As demonstrated by my 225#ís beating on it without any issues.
    Speaking of my review, here it is with more pics.....
    Demo'd a Zeus, my review with Pics.
    -Aaron G.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast