Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Different shock, different stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by fai View Post
    This is with me sitting on it with no air in the shock.Attachment 836406 I cant explain it.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevelei View Post
    Perhaps we should look at this issue and ask what was wrong with the 26"er's? When you read online or print issues the complaints were first 29"er's posing design and travel limitations, so the industry stepped in and said hey what about 650B. Us as consumers enjoy the latest and sometimes not always the greatest products, so we gave 29ers and 275 a shot and here we are again facing design limitations and travel issues with larger wheels- 275. Frame builders essentially are trying to deliver for consumers the ride characteristics of a 26'er but for the bigger wheels. When reviews are done for the larger wheeled bikes the nic-picks look for characteristics that liken to the handling and fit of a 26"er.

I don't intend this to be a wheel debate, just a thought.

Yes 29"ers can be faster in the right environment

275 could be the answer for those looking for a bit more roll over roots and rocks but share similar traits to a 26"er.

......and 26"er has been around we've logged many miles on them, had many great rides and suited many disciplines of mountain biking.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with 26ers (I ride two 26ers). They are not obsolete and they still roll like any other bicycle.

But, Ventana's been carrying a 650B bike (the Bastardo) since 2009, so they know how to work with bikes built for the 650B wheel.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Fachiro1 View Post
    In my experience with a lot of single pivot designs, all have the potential of having the tire contact the seat tube with the limiting factor being the shock stroke. Actually, all frames have this potential issue if the swing arm follows a similar arc. Take the shock off any fully, and i think you can compress and get them all to touch, so doest it have to do with shock stroke, spring rate/weight, and set up?
    On the previous generation frame, I remember the upper yoke of the seatstays was being relived on the underside for clearance. I sent my rear end in and this was not done to my chainstay. I've never e perienced contact but I'm running a coil shock if that makes a difference.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    After looking at a lot of different pics of different frames....I think the other big factor would be the angle of the seat tube in relation to the pivot location.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Fai, for showing those pictures. Indeed it may be a combo of shock, frames size and fairy dust
    But it's good to know that Sherwood is on it. I'll wait for his opinion.
    I too would go for a different shock, probably a Cane Creek or an Xfusion.
    What kind of fork are you using a 160mm travel fork? And do you have the standard head angle?

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Standard 19" frame Fox 36RC2 fork.
    AJR

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Fwiw, not even close to seat rub at full compression on 160 mode and maxxis highroller 2.5. Mine is an el cap front with a Zeus rear and 24 inch seat tube, so not exactly the same as the other posts...

Zeus frame design flaw?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    Fwiw, not even close to seat rub at full compression on 160 mode and maxxis highroller 2.5. Mine is an el cap front with a Zeus rear and 24 inch seat tube, so not exactly the same as the other posts...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	836974
    It looks like the shock is mounted in the forward position, which nets 140mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yup. I'll bet your tire is just kissing the seat tube at 160mm.

Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    It looks like the shock is mounted in the forward position, which nets 140mm.
    Last edited by wipp; 10-05-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: splchuk

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Lol...shoot, I had that chip figured out backwards...makes sense though. Dumb question...do I have to do anything other than remove bolts and flip the chip to change travel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    No, just unbolt and flip the chip. You may also have to add some washers to be able to fully tighten the bolt...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wow...that is crazy. Maybe the preconceived Notion that it was 160 mm of travel, but that 140 felt like 160!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Zeus frame design flaw?-image.jpg

Whew! Maybe 1/8 inch clearance with real 160 of travel...really glad I read this thread: probably would have kept on riding thinking I was at 160 ad never changed it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Update?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    160 is different from 140...definitely more linear feel to the shock. Part of thi is probably due to my 260 lbs, but I'm now thinking about getting the ctd pushed.

Definitely no tire contact on te seat tube from riding.

Team Chilidog!
    Last edited by Stripes; 10-09-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I read the review and it was funny to see the writer go from saying "this is the best bike I have ridden during my time at dirt rag" to saying the bike was completely flawed. One question , could the clearance differences be connected to 142x12 vs 135qr? I've got a carbine 275 and know what dropout changed can do to a frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Great question. Hadn't thought of that at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running the 142 thru axle and have rub

Quote Originally Posted by atlas4gr View Post
    I read the review and it was funny to see the writer go from saying "this is the best bike I have ridden during my time at dirt rag" to saying the bike was completely flawed. One question , could the clearance differences be connected to 142x12 vs 135qr? I've got a carbine 275 and know what dropout changed can do to a frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Dirt Rag Zeus is also 142 thru.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'd think a set of modified 142 dropouts (longer) would do the trick

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Zeus frame design flaw?

Just reading through this and wanted to note that the 2.25 wild grip'r in the non advanced version is a big tire. I have them on two bikes and they measure out about the same size as a Hans Dampf. The advanced version is a smaller casing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I read recently that the 2.35 actually measures in at 2.5 so I believe you

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Mine is a 142 dropout...tire is a true 2.5 highroller...no rub at all...

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have just looked at the pictures of the Zeus on the Dirt Rag website that they were using. The bolt on rear dropouts are different to those on the Zeus frames that my wife and I have. They do however look like the ones fitted to my El Ciclon. Zeus owners check your dropouts compared to the picture on Dirt Rag website and compare to see if you have the longer dropout.
    AJR

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast