mtbr member

Zeus or El Capitan

Has anybody spent time on both of these?

I've been spending a lot of time on both my Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy and Nimble9 this summer and really like the 29" wheels and how playful these bikes are, but at the end of the day, I'm feeling pretty beat.

So what I'd like to do is replace my X-5. At first I was leaning toward the Zeus, but I've never ridden a 650b tired bike. I do know that I really like the 29" wheels though. What I'm looking for is something that is playful like the Canfield bikes but with some rear travel. I'm a little concerned that the El Capitan wont be very playful (but a hoot on fast all out trails) and the Zeus wont roll through chunk as well as the 29ers (but more playful in the tech due to the smaller wheels).

I don't think there is a chance I can ride either of these. I may have to track down a 650b bike sometime.

Thoughts?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    A touch tangential, but I am considering upgrading my 2007 El Cap frame for the new one with slacker geo and shorter chainstays. For me at 7ft, 29er is probly the way to go over 650b.

I did email Teresa to ask if it is possible for them to do an El Cap front with a Zeus rear, kinda like a 650b/29er El Bastardo, but with more travel...I haven't heard back yet but will update you when I do...

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I ride a Siren 29er with similar geo of the Canfield which I love. It too is a hard tail so I am only responding because I also have a Zeus. The Zeus handles rolling through the chunk excellent and very noticeable on techy climbs. It does not plow through a rock garden like my 29er but it is very very good. What I like more is the ease it pops up over a big rock sections compared to 29er. Example, large boulder on 29er you have to pump/lift front very hard to roll/jump over. On Zeus almost every time I feel a slight tap on a boulder and the bike elevates itself almost bunny hopping on its own. This is also something I never experienced on my El Ciclon. I don't know if you can find a Zeus to demo but worth a look to find. If you
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Sorry, didn't finish before I accidentally hit send. If you plan on keeping Canfield you can have best of both worlds with both bikes. I have to admit my 29er has been ridden only a handful of times since I got the Zeus. It plays to my riding style of big climbs with steep descents. Good luck.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

AOK
    mtbr member

Zeus or El Capitan

Can't comment on the Zeus, but I seriously doubt the El Cap will feel playful like your Yelli.

I previously had a gen 1 N9 and currently have a Yelli. I picked up a second hand El Rey (2012 - latest generation design) earlier this year. While it was a super fun bike, it was not playful like the Canfields. The Rey was taller and longer. Great for bombing downhill and a decent handler, but just not the same playful / quick / slack feeling that i love in my Yelli.

I have since swapped out the Rey for a Transition Bandit 29. The B29 is much closer to a full suspension Yelli than the Rey was.

If you are looking for a FS Yelli, I would suggest you look into the Bandit. Or if you can wait a bit the new Salsa Horsethief or Kona Process. Or wait until Canfield comes out with their rumored FS 29er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

change is good
    Sep 2004

Zeus or El Capitan

I've only ridden one AM 29er, the Yeti SB95, and one AM 650b, a Scott Genius. I'm 5'11" and the 29er felt too cumbersome. The Scott felt just right. If I needed a do it all bike, it would be an Alpino with a XFusion Sweep set at 130mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I may have your solution...just got off the phone with Sherwood and Teresa at Ventana and put a deposit on a Capitan Zeus!

Gonna be the Zeus rear with an El Cap front...still 140/160 rear on 650b wheel, and 29er front based on 67 hta with Rockshox Pike 150 fork (with the dual position that you can drop to 120)!

Someone else on this forum did this with an Alpino and Capitan, if you want less travel...

Definitely stoked! Sherwood and Teresa are awesome, and Ventana is a fantastic company!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I only wish I were able to get back up to the NW to ride this thing on Sandy Ridge and Duthie Hill!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sherwood and Teresa are fantastic to work with. Please post some pictures when you have it built!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I will have to figure out how to post pics but I will try