mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Zeus built

27lb should be a flyer.

zeus 2013 27.5 by Alanatriversidecyclecentre, on Flickr
    AJR

banned
    Aug 2011
    Looks great - all the latest and greatest with a 20 year old saddle.

You got a stock of them, or what?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Odd build package with long travel and a dropper seat post then Crests. What is this bike trying to be?

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    Odd build package with long travel and a dropper seat post then Crests. What is this bike trying to be?
    Looks like a nice light trail build to me. That build would be perfect for my wife, light weight with confidence building geometry. I don't think there is a wrong or right build as long as it makes since for the rider. I have an "Odd build" 29er hard tail with a dropper post, bash guard, 50mm stem and wide bars that I jump and ride off drops

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    I agree. Some people have too much money. Judging by the build, this person is a noob - but has cash.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    A rider on a 16" frame requiring a stronger rim than 650b Crests would have to be pretty hard core or very chubby. Good build IMO. I would require sturdier wheels and fork because of my chunkiness.

NedwannaB

Wtf's with the Ventana bashing

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    I agree. Some people have too much money. Judging by the build, this person is a noob - but has cash.
    You get beat up by one in highschool or something?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

bikeboatbrewski
    ride report?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv View Post
    ride report?
    Give it up

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    OK, the wife would only swop her El Ciclon for something totally different and she did not want a 29er. My aim with this bike was to build a bike that would be as light or lighter than her El Ciclon and I did that. My wife is no freerider and has always used lightweight wheels. She has a few rides on it now and was wary of a new wheel size, it has won her over. She feels the bike allows her to climb better, maybe because of the slightly longer wheelbase compared to her 26" and the revised pivot location on the newer Ventana frames as well as the wheelsize. It flows through the tight tree enclosed singletrack we ride in as easily as her 26" wheeled bike, but in her opinion descends better than any bike she has owned. To her it does not feel any different getting up to speed than her 26" bike.We have a ride that we have used for over 12 years full of roots, steep ups and downs mostly in singletrack, just over 20 miles, my wife without feeling that she was going any faster averaged 1mile an hour faster average speed than she has ever managed before. Thats all I can say, we all know that every Ventana is rock solid and has superb build quality and finish, and my wife is very impressed with her new ride.
    AJR

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by fai View Post
    OK, the wife would only swop her El Ciclon for something totally different and she did not want a 29er. My aim with this bike was to build a bike that would be as light or lighter than her El Ciclon and I did that. My wife is no freerider and has always used lightweight wheels. She has a few rides on it now and was wary of a new wheel size, it has won her over. She feels the bike allows her to climb better, maybe because of the slightly longer wheelbase compared to her 26" and the revised pivot location on the newer Ventana frames as well as the wheelsize. It flows through the tight tree enclosed singletrack we ride in as easily as her 26" wheeled bike, but in her opinion descends better than any bike she has owned. To her it does not feel any different getting up to speed than her 26" bike.We have a ride that we have used for over 12 years full of roots, steep ups and downs mostly in singletrack, just over 20 miles, my wife without feeling that she was going any faster averaged 1mile an hour faster average speed than she has ever managed before. Thats all I can say, we all know that every Ventana is rock solid and has superb build quality and finish, and my wife is very impressed with her new ride.

Thanks for the report. I cannot wait to get mine especially now that I too ride a Ciclon as your wife did. What color is that frame?
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Bluebell Blue.
    AJR

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    I would love to see someone do a thorough review on the Zeus!
    I just got my Fed Ex notice that mine is shipping today! Give me a few weeks because I am still screwing around with wheel builds.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Got mine built a few days ago. Hard to say better than advertised, but just as good. Stable, sharp, asks for just a little more than my old Ells Moment. 29.5lbs. Feels light when you pick it up, rides like a heavier bike in terms of stability and is just as maneuverable as a 26er.

Only thing I'm going to change is the grips - crank bros foamies suck.

Lets see some more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zeus built-new-ride.jpg  

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by eber View Post
    Got mine built a few days ago.
    Wow, that thing looks great! I want one, no I need one!
    Last edited by El Salt; 09-08-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: fix my cr@ppy spelling!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Eber, IMO, This is the best looking new style Ventana I have seen. I'm really liking the Zeus with the less pronounced curvy top tube.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I can't lie, I think it looks awesome. Rides like a bulletproof trail machine without any weight penalty. Didn't drink too much weight weenie juice but did put on DT 240 hubs and the XO cranks. Other than those 2 components, this should be a pretty durable set up and hopefully won't require too much maintenance. Have had it built for 72 hours and have 3 rides under its saddle. As I'm in alaska I have to get the riding in while there is still time.

Like your tag line OldHouseMan, biking helps pass the time until the snow flies! No fat bike for me

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Eber, IMO, This is the best looking new style Ventana I have seen. I'm really liking the Zeus with the less pronounced curvy top tube.
    I agree, Thats a mean looking bike!

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I agree, much better looking than the some of the other new models.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nice Bike Eber,

What size is it?

Does any one know what the extra options cost like colour, level 1,2 and 3?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Its an 18".

The carbon black color I got was a level 1, $55 extra. Painting the swingarm was another $75. the 142 x 12mm thru axle added $150. The thru axle came with the axle though, which would have been $50-$60 by itself.

Got about 60 miles on the bike so far (including a mud fest 20 mile singletrack ride yesterday). Bike is just so solid. Doesn't get bounced around on terrain as much as my Moment would, although the steering is a bit slower in some high speed tight turns. Haven't made any adjustments to my cockpit yet, but will probably shorten the stem a bit (have a 100mm Thomson on now).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thank you Eber, Ventana is getting more and more interesting.

Does anyone have a pic of the frame in size large?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Eber,

Can you share your height and inseam and how do you fit the 18" Zeus? I'm 5'11'' with a 32.5" inseam and I think the posted geo numbers on the 20" may fit my reach better but the seat tube would be too high. I may have to go custom but I was curious about your own experience....

Thanks,
    JC

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm 5'10" with a 33 or 32 inseam as well. I would think the 20" be way too large for me personally, but I always trend to like a slightly smaller frame. The 18" doesn't feel stretched out at all, possibly even slightly shorter than my previous 17" Moment. If you had longer arms or preferred a more stretched out ride the 20" might be a better choice.

MattSavage
    What is Ventana asking for a basic, off the shelf Zeus frame with 135 rear? Do they allow shock options? I'd kind of rather run a RS Monarch...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast