Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zeus built

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    What is Ventana asking for a basic, off the shelf Zeus frame with 135 rear? Do they allow shock options? I'd kind of rather run a RS Monarch...
    The MSRP on the Zeus is 2295. It's possible to get any shock you want on it.
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Does anyone have a picture of a complete build in size large?

I like to see the complete bike in that size.

Thanks.

kev
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The Zeus might actually be the frame that gets me back into the "V" family

I went from a Marble Peak in the early 90's to a Salty in about 2000 and then to a SC Blur LT, which I have been thrilled with since I got it in 2009. I am thinking about putting a set of 650b wheels on the Blur. If I like 'em I may just have to trade in the Salty frame for a Zeus. That is a really good lookin' bike. I haven't been too enamored of the new swoopy top tubes on Sherwood's finest, but I really like the more subtle design of the Zeus.

Now if they would only get rid of that butter soft derailleur hanger... Can't believe that design hasn't changed in 20 years. At least it looks to be the same as the one that was on my Marble Peak.

kev

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy66 View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of a complete build in size large?

I like to see the complete bike in that size.

Thanks.
    I too would like to see more photos of the Zeus...frame-only or built, any size, any color, but a stock medium would be nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    I went from a Marble Peak in the early 90's to a Salty in about 2000 and then to a SC Blur LT, which I have been thrilled with since I got it in 2009. I am thinking about putting a set of 650b wheels on the Blur. If I like 'em I may just have to trade in the Salty frame for a Zeus. That is a really good lookin' bike. I haven't been too enamored of the new swoopy top tubes on Sherwood's finest, but I really like the more subtle design of the Zeus.

Now if they would only get rid of that butter soft derailleur hanger... Can't believe that design hasn't changed in 20 years. At least it looks to be the same as the one that was on my Marble Peak.

kev
    Completely agree about the more subtle top tube. Also, FYI, the 142x12 dropouts are extra stout and don't have a separate, replaceable (bendy) hanger. I've been riding mine for more than a year, and haven't bent it in spite of plenty of rock strikes. (I used to carry a spare Ventana hanger in my pack because I twisted them fairly frequently.) I guess the downside is that when I do bend the hanger, I'll be spending a bit more for a replacement dropout, but so far, so good.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Review?
    It is a sweet riding bike Dave. Buy one!

Shortest review ever.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I finally got mine finished! Been waiting for tires from Germany for 3 weeks. Its a semi custom 16/18 with the 142x12mm rear, color is mango tango. Weighs in a 30lbs and a couple ounces with pedals and dropper. I havent had a chance to ride it yet to do any sort of review, but it sure is shiney so that counts for something. A couple build highlights-

Wheelset- Hadley ceramic bearing hubs, Sapium spokes, tl28 rims, Hans dampf pace star rear, trail star front

Drivetrain- all x-9 for now till the xx1 gets here

Brakes- Formula r1 for now, T1s are going on though

Fox 34 160mm fork

Thomson 50mm stem Gravity light carbon 740mm flat bars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zeus built-083.jpg  

Zeus built-086.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer299 View Post
    I finally got mine finished! Been waiting for tires from Germany for 3 weeks. Its a semi custom 16/18 with the 142x12mm rear, color is mango tango. Weighs in a 30lbs and a couple ounces with pedals and dropper. I havent had a chance to ride it yet to do any sort of review, but it sure is shiney so that counts for something. A couple build highlights-

Wheelset- Hadley ceramic bearing hubs, Sapium spokes, tl28 rims, Hans dampf pace star rear, trail star front

Fox 34 160mm fork

Wow, crushing build. Well done.

ventanakaz
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer299 View Post

Fox 34 160mm fork

...nice looking bike, can't wait to hear what you think of it after a few rides and getting it dialed in...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.

mtbr member
    Another sweet Zeus, Mxracer.

The sizing on the Zeus is kind of odd to me, at least for the 18" size and what I am considering. The top tube length (23") is kind of short and seat tube length (18.40") seems a bit tall.

It seems, from the people that have posted, that most have gone custom.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Another sweet Zeus, Mxracer.

The sizing on the Zeus is kind of odd to me, at least for the 18" size and what I am considering. The top tube length (23") is kind of short and seat tube length (18.40") seems a bit tall.

It seems, from the people that have posted, that most have gone custom.
    It is because the size small, 16" frame, has a 30" stand over. That is high for most folks usually riding a small. This is the first time I have ever had a small frame, usually a medium or 18". The 16/20 semi custom is a great fit for me with a 30" inseam. The 32" inseam riders are fine, it's us shorties that are doing the customs. Still a very inexpensive upgrade for what you are getting if you ask me. I agree, the TT at 23" does seem short but that is what is great about Ventana. Change and get what you need.

Love the mango MCRacer. Looks awesome!

mtbr member

How's that Magura fork working out?

I've been considering it vs the white bros loop

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well here's some better pics and a little review.

I have about 70 miles on it now and I didn't have to twist any knobs or change air pressures, so I think it's set up pretty well for now. My initial thoughts of the Zues are really positive. I've had a lot of different bikes to compare to, this year I rode a 2011 S-Works Enduro and a Kona Satori for the season, so that's what I'll compare it to. The 650b is really cool, it rolls, mowes over stuff, carves corners and holds momentum more like the 29er than the 26er. It jumps, aggressively corners, switchbacks, manuals, and at high speeds acts more like a 26er than a 29er. I think it picks up the good traits of each wheel size really well and I have yet to see any downfalls of the 650b wheel size, more than I can say for the 26 or 29. So I'm sold!

As far as the frame goes- The Ventana frame is absolutely beautiful! It's built really well and is super stiff, it's the first aluminum frame I've had that I didn't fell the need for a carbon version. Pedaling is pretty good, it's not great at anything but really good everywhere. I think the pedaling will be better when I get the xx1 on it, it seems to be built around a 32t ring. I haven't noticed brake jack or anything else annoying. The suspension works great up and down, no complaints here, not bad for old school simple underrated single pivot. I think Ventana may be on to something continuing to develop boring single pivots for umpteen years Haha I think single pivots are going to be the next big thing with the single ring 11spd drivetrains coming out, I'll see soon! One of the coolest things about it is between a chainguide, clutch derailleur, internal cables and the HD tires, the bike is SILENT. Kind of gets you in trouble hauling ass, it never sounds like youre going fast until you realized you're spun out with a 36t! I've been running the bike in the 140mm travel, it seems to pedal a little better and is slighter taller and steeper effectively, perfect for the low level riding that is rideable right now. when the big mountain trails open up though, it will go to 160mm.

A couple cool things on the bike that I was surprised by are the Gravity lite carbon flat bars and the x-9 drivetrain. The bars are stiff, light, a cool bend and are pretty cheap, I like the 740mm bars, I've been riding wider bars the last few years, but I'm getting sick of hitting stuff with my bars and I decided to narrow it up a bit. The drivetrain is KILLER for the price point. The new ball bearing shifters are great, the derailleur is great and the crankset is pretty flawless. It's pretty cheap and is a half a turd away from the weight of X0.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zeus built-dsc00146.jpg  

Zeus built-dsc00148.jpg  

Zeus built-dsc00150.jpg  

Zeus built-dsc00151.jpg  

Zeus built-dsc00147.jpg  

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    Odd build package with long travel and a dropper seat post then Crests. What is this bike trying to be?

Nothing wrong with a dropper seatpost on a light trail bike. ~140mm is not really "long travel" anymore... plenty of weight weenie bikes in that category.

Now if he mounted Big Betty on Crests, that would be odd, but those are Racing Ralphs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Another Zeus!!

Fresh out of Chad's hands at Red Barn bicycles, here is my Zeus, 20" frame with 18" seat tube. Just had a chance to jump on to adjust sag and cockpit and give it a (very) short spin. Feels fantastic, can't wait to ride it! Ride report will be awhile, trails are not too rideable right now in Montana....

Comes at 29.7 lbs with XTR trail pedals. More pics to come.

Future additions are a dropper post and some Formula T1 brakes.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zeus built-zeus1.jpg  

Zeus built-zeus2.jpg  

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    Fresh out of Chad's hands....
    JC, saw this posted on FB (I'm a "friend" of Chad's) today. VERY nice. I'm so much wanting a Zeus for my next "V"! Love the color too! Ole!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks Todd,
    I am very happy with the color combo. Chad called me all kinds of names during the part picking process but I think the result was worth being psycho about it. I have been riding a 650B-converted El Ciclon for 3 years, so I am quite familiar with the wheel size, but I can already tell that this bike will crank the fun level many notches up!

Cheers,
    JC

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Looks amazing JC. When you get some miles and abuse on those hoops give me a shout back. I am starting to wonder about my choice on the Pacenti rims. Loose eyelets, dings and constant truing. Never had issues with Flow.

Trails are amazing right now in SoCal after our rains. Get that beauty down here to get dirty.

Have fun. Paul

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks Paul,

I hesitated a long time between the Flows and TL28 and decided to go with the Pacenti because of the weight. Chad has had some on his El Chucho for a while and they have held fine so far, which made me go for them. I'll let you know how they hold but I am going to hang on to my set of Flows...

Cheers,
    Jean

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Thanks Paul,

I hesitated a long time between the Flows and TL28 and decided to go with the Pacenti because of the weight. Chad has had some on his El Chucho for a while and they have held fine so far, which made me go for them. I'll let you know how they hold but I am going to hang on to my set of Flows...

Cheers,
    Jean
    That is probably my problem, Chad did not build mine! I like the weight and the roll great but I am just surprised how they are holding up. The titanium color looks great with the rear end painted.

mtbr member
    Fresh out of Chad's hands at Red Barn bicycles, here is my Zeus, 20" frame with 18" seat tube. Just had a chance to jump on to adjust sag and cockpit and give it a (very) short spin. Feels fantastic, can't wait to ride it! Ride report will be awhile, trails are not too rideable right now in Montana....

Comes at 29.7 lbs with XTR trail pedals. More pics to come.

Future additions are a dropper post and some Formula T1 brakes.....
    In love with the color, and loving the color on the CK stuff as well. The Chromag bits just finish it off completely.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks,
    FYI, Teresa told me that they are changing the color for a more Ti-looking one with mat finish, so this one may become "custom".....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hey MxRacer,

Beautiful build! The 16/18 would also be my size. From your pictures it appears the top tube curve is less pronounced than the longer Zeus' we've seen. Do you think that is true? Also, is there enough room in the main triangle for water bottle mounts? Curious..
    Congratulations!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast