DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Z1 on El Salt...

I wanted to just get some input from any folks who have run an El Salt with a newer, taller Z1 (2003-04). I had my old Salt set up with a Z1 thru-axle, but Larry M was good to inform me that the newer Z1s are a whole inch taller. For those that have ridden that combo, does it seem too slack? What rear travel have you run with it and what works best? (I kept my old in one 5" mode 95% of the time.) And does the ETA help out alot with the head angle on longer climbs? I've gotten some insight from old posts, but wanted to collect some more opinions. Thanks. S

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I have one

My salty is set up wint a 04 Z1 with the 6" rockers and the 8" Romic. So far this setup seems to work great for me but keep in mind that if you are not a tall person you might have a problem with standover clearance. I'm 6'1" and have no problems. That was one of the major concerns Sherwood had when I told him what I planned on putting a Z1 on the front.

As far as the headangle goes, according to Sherwood, the Z1 will make it between 69 and 69.5. And...yes...the eta whoops ass with that fork and it does make it steeper for climbing.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nice. Yeah, I'm 6'1 plus with longer legs so I'm not too concerned with the standover. I'd have it in 5" rear mode most of the time. Would that slacken it more? Does rear travel effect HA? Thanks. S

mtbr member
    Your best option is to use the La Bruja rockers on your El Salt. They provide about 5.5 inches of travel and it brings up the bottom bracket height a little. This will keep your head angle from being too slack. My friend rides with this combo (Z1 and Bruja rockers) and he likes it a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have an El Saltemontes with the five inch rockers and a Z1 fork. I don't feel any difference when climbing. I also have a Fuel 98 and the El Saltemontes climbs just as good. There is not really a noticable difference with the head angle being 69 degrees. As for the eta, I have never used it, the Z1 works great on climbs. The Ell Saltemontes with five inches in the front and rear works great.