mtbr member

x5 tire rubbing rear hanger

im running a wolverine 2.2 tcs rear on my x5 with drops, jumps the tire rubs agains the front inside of the rear hanger ive attached a pic...does the swingarm move that much to cause this or do i need to use a smaller tire?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x5 tire rubbing rear hanger-2011-11-14_13-24-20_893.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Looks like something is rubbing the swingarm yoke? Are you sure the tire itself is rubbing? The yokes on all my Ventanas over the years have gotten tons of scratches there from rocks and other debris being sucked into the wheel and grinding between tire and frame. Since that's a solid chunk of aluminum, it's never caused a problem for me other that a short lecture I received from Sherwood upon trading in a frame.

The place to worry about is the seatstays right next to the tire's side knobs. The seatstay tubing is fairly thin, and it doesn't take a ton of rubbing to wear a small hole in it.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    What are you trying to show in the pic? And what do you mean by the inside front of the rear hanger?
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    its an 2010 frame and i dont ride it that much so it shouldnt be worn? ive double checked the allens for tightness..i only hear the tire rub when I hit ..i thought the tire may be squatting but i dont see any rubbing on the sides.. its strange and un nerving as you dont know whats going on..im going to see if i can mount my contour camera down and video..

mtbr member
    the tire seems to be rubbing on the front. (nearest the pivot point).the only place i see wear marks, nothing on the sides

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    It seems more like you are catching rocks and mud and scratching the yoke

mtbr member
    ill throw my contor camera on facing down..to see what is really happening..i rode tonight and the same thing...

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Ok, I understand what you're concern is, but it's nearly impossible for the tire to move that much, in fact it's not possible at all. The swing arm is a fixed length, so unless your wheel is completely loose in the dropout it can't move forward. However, I think the buzz you are hearing is coming from the tire hitting the cable stop for the front derailleur. An easier solution instead of mounting a camera and riding etc is to just take out all the pressure in the shock and compress it, see where the tire is hitting.

It might be the angle of the photo, but I'm surprised by how little clearance there appears to be, I have the same rear tri on two bikes and I'm running a Prowler 2.3 and a Bronson 2.3 and I have more than what you show.
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    Ok, I understand what you're concern is, but it's nearly impossible for the tire to move that much, in fact it's not possible at all. The swing arm is a fixed length, so unless your wheel is completely loose in the dropout it can't move forward. However, I think the buzz you are hearing is coming from the tire hitting the cable stop for the front derailleur. An easier solution instead of mounting a camera and riding etc is to just take out all the pressure in the shock and compress it, see where the tire is hitting.

It might be the angle of the photo, but I'm surprised by how little clearance there appears to be, I have the same rear tri on two bikes and I'm running a Prowler 2.3 and a Bronson 2.3 and I have more than what you show.
    Ill do that and either unhook the shock..it does make sense as the cables dont show anything hitting....these tires may be bigger then the 2.3s though i had the 2.4 mutano on them and it seemed smaller as well...thanx

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The only tyre rub I used to get on an X5 was when the tyre came into contact with the front derailler cable stop on full travel with a big tyre. I stopped this by changing the bottom out bumper on my shock to a different one. It can also happen on the El Terremoto on full travel.
    AJR

mtbr member
    I finally got a chance to check out the hanger, i let the air out of the shock and I see the hanger has been rubbing against the seatpost stem causing the noise. on both sides the right more then the left.....has anyone had this happen and is it normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by norcal2; 11-22-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Happend? Yep, Normal nope. Your rear is out of alignment probably. Give V a Call, could be a quick trip to the Torture Rack will fix. Or they can diagnose further.
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    ok will do ill call teresa, thanks..

Lightly salted
    I had an x5 that I rode hard for over 5 years, and never had that problem so I would think it's not normal. Just a guess but, is there play in the bearing/pivots letting the link shift side to side?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I had an x5 that I rode hard for over 5 years, and never had that problem so I would think it's not normal. Just a guess but, is there play in the bearing/pivots letting the link shift side to side?
    there is no play that i can detect, ill bring it in and have it checked out, i dont ride this bike much but i ride it hard when i do, i ride my El Chiquillo a lot more.. I think the rubbing might be flex...ill find out