mtbr member
    Dec 2003

X5- first ride and pics, i hope

my new ride showed up wed. and i took her out that night. i'm still playing with all the adjustments but the one word that sticks out from her 2 hr. maiden voyage is BALANCE. SPECS.... large frame, zoke Z1 FR, king hubs, mavic 823 rims, XT build, thomson post - stem, hayes hydro, race face low riser bars, oury lock ons, conti vertical ust 2.3, king headset. Thanks to Larry at mtnhighcyclery for his help and advise, plus great service and prices. First time trying to post pics, hope it works. Regards Jim S.
    Attached Images Attached Images

in the getto

sweet

She's beautiful , is that the 5in. rear end ? Be sure to post a extended ride report.
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

yes 5" rear travel

I should add, its a romic shock. I'm 300 lbs.+ so i got the tandem chain stays and quad bearings option. My initial impressions were how great the bike tracked up and down hill, I blew through downhill rocks that my hardtail, or heckler would beat me up or leave me doubting. I'll post more after i get the romic and zokey dialed in. Regards Jim S.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I found the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkahunadad
    I should add, its a romic shock. I'm 300 lbs.+ so i got the tandem chain stays and quad bearings option. My initial impressions were how great the bike tracked up and down hill, I blew through downhill rocks that my hardtail, or heckler would beat me up or leave me doubting. I'll post more after i get the romic and zokey dialed in. Regards Jim S.
    The bike looks great by the way. I got the red as well from Larry. I spent a whole week in Moab on my new x5 with the first ride being there. I'm up here in Fort Fun and took mine out for a ride. I found that it was much different figuring out how to control the bike with rocks and technical sections. I will say that it handles well when I have to make small, fast corrections. I locked my vanilla rlc out on the way up and I felt like I was getting thrown around because the fork wasn't sucking anything up. I look forward to playing with everything and getting used to the feel of mine as well. Good luck with your tuning.
    Turner Burner, Polished
    Salsa Mariachi 2
    Salsa Mukluk 2 Custom
    Bucksaw - Future Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Question for ya

my new ride showed up wed. and i took her out that night. i'm still playing with all the adjustments but the one word that sticks out from her 2 hr. maiden voyage is BALANCE. SPECS.... large frame, zoke Z1 FR, king hubs, mavic 823 rims, XT build, thomson post - stem, hayes hydro, race face low riser bars, oury lock ons, conti vertical ust 2.3, king headset. Thanks to Larry at mtnhighcyclery for his help and advise, plus great service and prices. First time trying to post pics, hope it works. Regards Jim S.

How tall are you? Looks like you got that post out there pretty far. I'm about 255 and have a large there w/Larry also, but I was trying to avoid having the seatpost so exposed, to give myself a firmer ride and less seatpost flex. Also, having the same fork put on, how do you like the match up with the frame?

Thanks PattD

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Pretty bike....

Ventana makes the prettiest bikes on the planet! Whatever you do, don't crash it and scratch it. Laugh. The first crash and subsequent scratch sucks.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

followup comments

to PattD, I'm 6' 1"+ but i have a short inseam of about 32-33". the bike shot was taken at Larry's shop, but its close to whats in the pic. I've got a 110 stem but after a few rides i think i'm probably going to need to try a 120. I can say i did'nt feel any flex with the post as it is. The one problem has to do with my girth, I'm going to send the romic in so they can do the big boy valving, the 800 lb spring just isn't enough. Hopefully by the end of summer it will be a non issue as i try to get down another 70 lbs., (i've lost about 130 so far). To Jaybo, to late!!!!! i felt like a newbie the first time out being unable to clip out of my new time xs pedals( i'm used to spd) on a rocky climb, good news no scratches, on the bike that is. I came home bloody and with a mild sprained wrist. My wife just rolled her eyes, i don't get much sympathy anymore ha!ha! You should have seen me as i rolled over i cradled the bike above me like it was a new born babe, and my first thought was to check the bike for damage, not the seering pain in my wrist, now thats passion. Regards Jim S.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Wow!

to PattD, I'm 6' 1"+ but i have a short inseam of about 32-33". the bike shot was taken at Larry's shop, but its close to whats in the pic. I've got a 110 stem but after a few rides i think i'm probably going to need to try a 120. I can say i did'nt feel any flex with the post as it is. The one problem has to do with my girth, I'm going to send the romic in so they can do the big boy valving, the 800 lb spring just isn't enough. Hopefully by the end of summer it will be a non issue as i try to get down another 70 lbs., (i've lost about 130 so far). To Jaybo, to late!!!!! i felt like a newbie the first time out being unable to clip out of my new time xs pedals( i'm used to spd) on a rocky climb, good news no scratches, on the bike that is. I came home bloody and with a mild sprained wrist. My wife just rolled her eyes, i don't get much sympathy anymore ha!ha! You should have seen me as i rolled over i cradled the bike above me like it was a new born babe, and my first thought was to check the bike for damage, not the seering pain in my wrist, now thats passion. Regards Jim S.
    Great job on the weight loss! The coolest part is that you probably never thought you can have fun getting fit, huh? Now, it's exemplified with the new ride. I'm anxious to start tweaking mine and see how it works. Give us an update on the valving of the ROmic. How long it takes, how much of a difference it makes, etc. Good luck Jim-keep riding hard!

PattD

mtbr member
    Have you had the chance to weigh that machine?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

My guess is...

33lbs. I have a similarly built x5 but with:
    - race face taper bb cranks
    -Mallet C pedals
    -Talas fork

weight is 31.25lbs.

man, that red is nice!

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by ride red

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

x5 weight

Quote Originally Posted by ride red
    I think SinglePivot is probably close, I hav'nt put it on a scale but 33 lbs. is about right. I'm going to try to find a scale in the next few days and I'll let you know then. I'm still tinkering with adjustments and plan to ride tomorrow night. The zoke is by far the firmest fork I've ever tryed, man I love it. Regards Jim S.

BIG and Bald
    I've only been riding for just under a year. Please go into detail more about the tandem chainstays and the quad bearings? I am around 350 and starting to obtain a more aggressive riding style so you know you what I'm capable of doing to bikes. lol How do you like the full suspension? Every one I've ever been on, I hate but due mostly to the rear shock not being set for my weight. What are your suggestions for a rear shock?
    Last edited by FireBallKY; 04-17-2004 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo
    Eat to Live...not the other way around

banned
    hey man yer siggy is a rehash of the famous Winston Churchill quote, in some exchange with a matron of high British society... like this...

lady: Mr Churchill, you are drunk!

WC: Madam, you are ugly. You are VERY ugly. In the morning I shall be sober.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Call Larry at Mtn High

Quote Originally Posted by FireBallKY
    I've only been riding for just under a year. Please go into detail more about the tandem chainstays and the quad bearings? I am around 350 and starting to obtain a more aggressive riding style so you know you what I'm capable of doing to bikes. lol How do you like the full suspension? Every one I've ever been on, I hate but due mostly to the rear shock not being set for my weight. What are your suggestions for a rear shock?

I've got a La Bruja and you'd be great on that bike. Super stiff. I am about 260. He'll outfit you with a shock that will work for you. He's at 970-669-7969. Or at mtnhighcyclery.com He's set alot of us up on this forum, and as you probably have read, there are many 200lb + riders.

Good luck, Patt

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBallKY
    the tandem chainstays are heavier duty than origenal spec, and the quad bearings are an extra set added to the rear pivot locations( to increase lateral stiffness) these were reccomended by sherwood when i was getting ready to order. i can tell you i've owned and ridden 4 different full squishys and nothing comes close to performing like the X5. i'm useing the romic with a 800 pound spring, the suspension ratio of the ventanas are more suited to us wide body folks. the suspension is active, so i've learned that i need to spin circles, but the rear bites the trail while climbing and stays true while descending. i'm going over to the romic factory on tues. or wed. and having the bigboy valving done to my rear shock so i'll report my findings on the difference in a few weeks. hope all this helps, and pattd is right larry at mtnhigh knows his stuff and is great to work with, Regards Jim S.

mtbr member

Saddle in Picture an SDG?

Is that the saddle you are riding? I had one and it was without a doubt the most uncomfortable brick I've ever ridden. I got three words for you "W T B". Really, they make the most comfortable (IMHO) saddles. A guy your size would prolly like the Power V.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

did'nt work for me/ some changes

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx
    Is that the saddle you are riding? I had one and it was without a doubt the most uncomfortable brick I've ever ridden. I got three words for you "W T B". Really, they make the most comfortable (IMHO) saddles. A guy your size would prolly like the Power V.
    i tried one for a dozen rides and it killed my sit bones. i've read that they have one that is narrower that might work for me. the sdg is my spare for the around town hardtail. the X5 is currently sporting a sella italia with a ergo cutout that i've found to be very comfy, although i'm always on the lookout for the holy grail! since the last time i posted the bike has seen some changes, i put a 120 stem in place of the 110, i also swapped the times for a set of 959's, i also added a 8" roter to the front. the biggest change was having the bigboy valving done to the romic. i drove over to their shop and they did it while i waited, then they set the sag( the 800 pound spring was'nt changed) and i rode it around a nearby track to test it. WOW, an immediate obvious difference for the better. i'm loving this ride more every time i go out. props to Brian at Romic who spent the time to dial me in, at no charge none the less!!!! Regards Jim S.