Thread: X-5 vs El Ray

Single Speed Junkie

X-5 vs El Ray

Ok have been kicking around the idea of a new frame and a bit torn between FS 29er and the X-5. I have ridden an X-5 since they first were out on the market and have been very pleased. My frame just broke on a drop. (No JRA here) Was not even that big, just a dumb rider weighting the bike wrong. Have been getting into more technical riding and was curious to hear some feed back.

BTW I currently have a few single speeds both 26 and 29er for comparison. The 29er versions I can push further and faster into corners. The 26 is still fun to ride for me so not really a 29 or nothing guy.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

I think............

29ers are overated. I get sick of all those big wheel zealots....it's just like those comparisons between I9's and King hubs/wheels.....blah blah blah. I say get what works for you. Just replace the X-5 or get an El Ciclon.....you will thank me later I also thought those big wheels were suppose to smooooooth out the trail....so why would you need a FS29?

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Maybe you can get El Beastro to chime in as an owner of both the aforementioned bikes.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Split the difference and get a 650b ................IMHO I think the Terremoto would be a better choice if your pursuing more tech riding skills especially if you like jumping stuff ! Thats what I use my old skool Bruja w 6 " travel for and prefer my 4 " travel El Capitan ( geometry same as El Rey ) more for longer xc rides ( bumpier the better ) but I also feel the 29er rolls over obstacles better than any 26er xc type mtb I've ridden so far ! TIG.