JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

And a work in progress

Just couldn't wait to show it off any longer. Even though it isn't finished yet.

I've been (not so) patiently collecting parts for a new build for quite a while. The changes to the new frames helped push me into action. The tax return didn't hurt either. Got the approval from the finance manager, IF I could reduce the other bike inventory around here to cover 1/3 the cost.

Partially to clean out the house of X+1 bikes, partially to offset the cost of a new bike. Had to agree, otherwise the kids are going to be sleeping on the couch soon, as I take over their rooms as a workshop.

I was orig looking for a X-5, but the only color left at Competitive Cyclist was the green. It just wasn't me. The home ship had a few X-5's left too, but figured I'd have an easier time looking used. Put up a wanted classified. Got a few interesting choices, but had someone let me know about the sale of the Ciclon at Competitive. I don't know how I could look at the page at CC twice a week for a couple weeks straight and NOT notice the Ciclon next to the X-5. Object fixation? Maybe.

So within a few mins, the order was placed. And last Thurs, a frame box arrives at the house. The El Feugo now has a big brother. It's going to be built up as a longer travel do anything bike, but with my special choice of parts.

Started the build, but have not decided on a BB just yet, so the pics are a little incomplete. I'll post up a few more when it is completely finished.

JmZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And a work in progress-bike.jpg  

And a work in progress-bike2.jpg  

And a work in progress-ciclon.jpg  

And a work in progress-controls.jpg  

And a work in progress-8-enough.jpg  

And a work in progress-front.jpg  

And a work in progress-front-wheel.jpg  

And a work in progress-rear-wheel.jpg  

And a work in progress-seat-tube.jpg  

And a work in progress-taco.jpg  

JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Oh and a parts list if anyone is interested:

Frame: Ventana El Ciclon
    Fork: Fox Float R
    Wheels: Hope Pro II / DT Spokes / Sun Equlizer 27 Rims / Ritchey Tires
    Brakes: Avid BB7 180/160
    Shifters: Paul Thumbies
    Brake Lvrs: Paul Love Levers
    Seatpost: Salsa Shaft
    Headset: Interloc
    BB: In question
    Crank: Middleburn
    Mech - Front: XT
    Mech - Rear: XTR
    Pedals: Eggbeaters

Still don't know about stem yet. Might have to play around with lengths. Starting with a 110 on the front and going to see how it feels. Have a 120 laying around, amd may have to get a 100 and a 90.

JmZ
    JmZ

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

Nice mixture............

where old skool meets the modern day trail bike. Although, I am not sure about those handle bars......might be a liability Did you pick the Ciclon up on that nasty close out sale Competitive is/was having?

Team Chilidog!
    Nice build, but I'm not sure about the grip tape What color is that, superdust?
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    where old skool meets the modern day trail bike. Although, I am not sure about those handle bars......might be a liability Did you pick the Ciclon up on that nasty close out sale Competitive is/was having?

As you say, old school. Changed to riding the integrated bars years back. So I've got 'em on all the bikes. If I need more rise, it'll be the stem that gets swapped and not the bars.

And I succumbed to the CC sale. One in my size for $750. Even if it was stripped down with single bearings and a base shock, still would have been a hell of a deal.

JmZ
    JmZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    hey, you run your bb7's like I do...with Paul's levers. I think they're a great combination. What disk rotors are those?
    whatever...

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Color is the Superdust. It is a bit darker than the El Feugo.

Brake levers are indeed Paul's, they worked good on the other bike. And the rotors are Hope. Seemed appropriate with the hubs. Went with a steel freehub on the rear too.

And the blue camo tape. Embrace the blue! I was hoping to do a Shark Blue X-5, but as above...

JmZ
    JmZ

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Love IT! That there is definately a JmZ Build!

Where did you source the bars, I would LOVE a set of bars for my commuter/Flat bar roadie?

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Nice Build!

Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Color is the Superdust. It is a bit darker than the El Feugo.

Brake levers are indeed Paul's, they worked good on the other bike. And the rotors are Hope. Seemed appropriate with the hubs. Went with a steel freehub on the rear too.

And the blue camo tape. Embrace the blue! I was hoping to do a Shark Blue X-5, but as above...

JmZ
    Nice build JmZ! Not sure if you remember me, met you at Ft Custer for a ride when I had my El Chamuco? I'm still on a Ventana but it's an El Capitan built up burly for rock riding and beating on rocky trails here in Pa! Take care and have fun on the bike. I may be visiting near Ft Custer this summer. I'll let you know for a possible reunion ride!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

Proud lame eBiker
    "Where did you source the bars"

What he said!

I'd love a set for the back of my Tandem...that you jealously will know is Shark Blue.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    "Where did you source the bars"

What he said!

I'd love a set for the back of my Tandem...that you jealously will know is Shark Blue.
    Check PM's...
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Oh and a parts list if anyone is interested:

Frame: Ventana El Ciclon
    Fork: Fox Float R
    Wheels: Hope Pro II / DT Spokes / Sun Equlizer 27 Rims / Ritchey Tires
    Brakes: Avid BB7 180/160
    Shifters: Paul Thumbies
    Brake Lvrs: Paul Love Levers
    Seatpost: Salsa Shaft
    Headset: Interloc
    BB: In question
    Crank: Middleburn
    Mech - Front: XT
    Mech - Rear: XTR
    Pedals: Eggbeaters

Still don't know about stem yet. Might have to play around with lengths. Starting with a 110 on the front and going to see how it feels. Have a 120 laying around, amd may have to get a 100 and a 90.

JmZ
    Great looking build you have there so far, especially the Paul levers. Can't wait to see the finished bike with the Middleburns. Thank you again for the turbines.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

And Finished Pics

Time to mess around with suspension settings and the like. Any places to start for a 210-ish rider?

Otherwise other than a few patches of clear duct tape to stop cable rub, it's done.

Pretty respectable weight too. Swapping a wheelset should bring it down if I want a XC ride on the bike.

Short test rides around the neighborhood:

Feels different than the Feugo. I'm more riding in this bike than on it. Small ripples just disappear under this bike. Going to have to figure out suspension settings all over and do some reading on the RP23 and Float to get the most out of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And a work in progress-complete-bike.jpg  

And a work in progress-complete-bike-2.jpg  

And a work in progress-complete-bike-3.jpg  

And a work in progress-complete-bike-5.jpg  

And a work in progress-complete-bike-6.jpg  

And a work in progress-complete-bike-4.jpg  

JmZ