Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44

    Why are they so Ugly???

    Is it me or are the latest generation of bikes from all of the majors really ugly? I think it started with the Nomad and they have all followed suite with 'hydroformed' ugliness everywhere, peaking out with the Scott Gambler, yuch! Please Sherwood, keep with the straight tubes, elegant, bike like, classic double triangle profile, keep away from the bendy tubes!

  2. #2
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    I am with you on this one...and the Specialized paint jobs this year are some of the worst in the history of mtn biking.

  3. #3
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300
    Speccy makes fugly bikes, as does SC. Ventanas are perfectly proportioned and visually balanced. Eye candy as well as ride candy, even moreso than Turners. My El Padrino is the first bike I have owned that does not look like a big bike. Heck, it looks like a medium. We are talking about a 22" bike here.

    Other good looking bikes: Transitions, anything made by FTW, Turners, Jones, and any custom steel frame made in the good ol USA.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Speccy makes fugly bikes, as does SC. Ventanas are perfectly proportioned and visually balanced. Eye candy as well as ride candy, even moreso than Turners. My El Padrino is the first bike I have owned that does not look like a big bike. Heck, it looks like a medium. We are talking about a 22" bike here.

    Other good looking bikes: Transitions, anything made by FTW, Turners, Jones, and any custom steel frame made in the good ol USA.

    i'm almost w/ you...i think all the jones ti tube manipulation is plain silly...
    ride fast...take chances...

  5. #5
    Shot Down in Flames...
    Reputation: D-Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by iridetitus
    i'm almost w/ you...i think all the jones ti tube manipulation is plain silly...

    +1

    D.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,416
    Who can't like the clean lines of Ventanas but I do like the Wolfhounds too. But yeah, Specialized is starting to make some really ugly bikes- forced aesthetics and forced curves make for some cheap-looking frames.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300
    Quote Originally Posted by iridetitus
    i'm almost w/ you...i think all the jones ti tube manipulation is plain silly...
    Well, as artwork they work, for sure . . .

    Though I think it was Scott Quring (?) that pointed out that curved tubes are weak tubes . . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Who can't like the clean lines of Ventanas but I do like the Wolfhounds too. But yeah, Specialized is starting to make some really ugly bikes- forced aesthetics and forced curves make for some cheap-looking frames.
    It's what happens when you let marketing types armed with swatch books make your decisions for you . . .

  8. #8
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Well, as artwork they work, for sure . . .

    Though I think it was Scott Quring (?) that pointed out that curved tubes are weak tubes . . . .


    It's what happens when you let marketing types armed with swatch books make your decisions for you . . .
    That and what they charge for 'em. Over $7k for a mountain bike made my Spec? So what. My El Tigre is much prettier, and stronger too

    (I have a friend who loooooves Specialized. I keep telling him, "The S stands for Sucks." ).
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

  9. #9
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    That and what they charge for 'em. Over $7k for a mountain bike made my Spec? So what. My El Tigre is much prettier, and stronger too

    (I have a friend who loooooves Specialized. I keep telling him, "The S stands for Sucks." ).
    Speccy frame and bikes are overpriced.

    To support your point, when I was shopping for 29er HT frame I looked at the Speccy SJ. $930 for a Twaneez made frame.

    The El Padrino, in contrast, retailed for $975.

    Guess which one I went with?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,062
    I recently saw a pic of a new Rocky Mt that had to be one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen.

    Out of all the newer bikes, I do like the look of the Lenz stuff.

  11. #11
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,263
    Did someone say ugly?



    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  12. #12
    ajr
    ajr is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    753
    Hi Grinch, sort your life out and come for a ride with me sometime. Have a nice one and a happy new year to you.

  13. #13
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300
    I actually like the look of the Lenz, Devin picks some great colors for his PC work. Like Sherwood, the guy is a craftsman.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44
    Hey Alan, new years' resolution 'less work, more play' so you're on. Are you still out every week?

    Have a great xmas

  15. #15
    ajr
    ajr is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grinch
    Hey Alan, new years' resolution 'less work, more play' so you're on. Are you still out every week?

    Have a great xmas
    Yes, every Sunday so see you soon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •