mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Why are they so Ugly???

Is it me or are the latest generation of bikes from all of the majors really ugly? I think it started with the Nomad and they have all followed suite with 'hydroformed' ugliness everywhere, peaking out with the Scott Gambler, yuch! Please Sherwood, keep with the straight tubes, elegant, bike like, classic double triangle profile, keep away from the bendy tubes!

I am with you on this one...and the Specialized paint jobs this year are some of the worst in the history of mtn biking.

Captain Underpants
    Speccy makes fugly bikes, as does SC. Ventanas are perfectly proportioned and visually balanced. Eye candy as well as ride candy, even moreso than Turners. My El Padrino is the first bike I have owned that does not look like a big bike. Heck, it looks like a medium. We are talking about a 22" bike here.

Other good looking bikes: Transitions, anything made by FTW, Turners, Jones, and any custom steel frame made in the good ol USA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Speccy makes fugly bikes, as does SC. Ventanas are perfectly proportioned and visually balanced. Eye candy as well as ride candy, even moreso than Turners. My El Padrino is the first bike I have owned that does not look like a big bike. Heck, it looks like a medium. We are talking about a 22" bike here.

Other good looking bikes: Transitions, anything made by FTW, Turners, Jones, and any custom steel frame made in the good ol USA.

i'm almost w/ you...i think all the jones ti tube manipulation is plain silly...
    ride fast...take chances...

Shot Down in Flames...
    Quote Originally Posted by iridetitus
    i'm almost w/ you...i think all the jones ti tube manipulation is plain silly...

+1

D.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Who can't like the clean lines of Ventanas but I do like the Wolfhounds too. But yeah, Specialized is starting to make some really ugly bikes- forced aesthetics and forced curves make for some cheap-looking frames.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by iridetitus
    Well, as artwork they work, for sure . . .

Though I think it was Scott Quring (?) that pointed out that curved tubes are weak tubes . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Who can't like the clean lines of Ventanas but I do like the Wolfhounds too. But yeah, Specialized is starting to make some really ugly bikes- forced aesthetics and forced curves make for some cheap-looking frames.
    It's what happens when you let marketing types armed with swatch books make your decisions for you . . .

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Well, as artwork they work, for sure . . .

Though I think it was Scott Quring (?) that pointed out that curved tubes are weak tubes . . . .

It's what happens when you let marketing types armed with swatch books make your decisions for you . . .
    That and what they charge for 'em. Over $7k for a mountain bike made my Spec? So what. My El Tigre is much prettier, and stronger too

(I have a friend who loooooves Specialized. I keep telling him, "The S stands for Sucks." ).
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    That and what they charge for 'em. Over $7k for a mountain bike made my Spec? So what. My El Tigre is much prettier, and stronger too

(I have a friend who loooooves Specialized. I keep telling him, "The S stands for Sucks." ).
    Speccy frame and bikes are overpriced.

To support your point, when I was shopping for 29er HT frame I looked at the Speccy SJ. $930 for a Twaneez made frame.

The El Padrino, in contrast, retailed for $975.

Guess which one I went with?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I recently saw a pic of a new Rocky Mt that had to be one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen.

Out of all the newer bikes, I do like the look of the Lenz stuff.