Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why the press fit bottom bracket?

What are the advantages of the press fit bottom bracket? I don't see the advantage to going with this type over the "old" threaded type. The threaded BB's seemed more user friendly to me.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Allows the use of many of the newer, 30mm spindle cranksets as well as SRAM's GXP.
    Bigger spindle actually ends up being lighter and stiffer. If you run adapter cups and a Shimano setup, the weight penalty is only a few grams.

You can also get an eccentric adapter to tweak BB height or chainstay length or run a SS setup

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Buildyourown, pretty much covers it. One BB shell that lets you use all the new designs or the old type via adapters.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    Buildyourown, pretty much covers it. One BB shell that lets you use all the new designs or the old type via adapters.
    Larger BB shell = more surface area / weld area too? (not saying, just guessing?)
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    In addition to what's already been mentioned, you can also run Shimano cranks with the Problem Solvers eccentric, which, if nothing else, could give you some bb-height adjustment (not to mention bb fore-aft adjustment).

Problem Solvers

Edit: Sorry, buildyourown was already on it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    well, when I got my new (non-Ventana) frame with a traditional BB, the LBS was employed to clean up the threads a bit, just a simple chase job. well, when that park tool is used the wrong direction, you have threads cross-chased in the BB shell, which leaves the frame ruined. yeah, that happened, and might have been avoided with a press-fit bb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    well, when I got my new (non-Ventana) frame with a traditional BB, the LBS was employed to clean up the threads a bit, just a simple chase job. well, when that park tool is used the wrong direction, you have threads cross-chased in the BB shell, which leaves the frame ruined. yeah, that happened, and might have been avoided with a press-fit bb.
    Or it could have been avoid simply with common sense..... lol

mtbr member
    It could have also been avoided by not giving the mechanic beer before doing the work.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Honest mistake, I like to think, but not a one-off, as another local buddy has a cup marked L in the drive-side...I didn't give'm beer, but wakenbake is a helluvadrug!

Proud lame eBiker
    Honest mistake, I like to think, but not a one-off, as another local buddy has a cup marked L in the drive-side...I didn't give'm beer, but wakenbake is a helluvadrug!
    Choose your mechanic wisely!!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Team Fearless Descender
    Honest mistake...!
    You my friend, are far to kind!

I have a set of the taps. I soooo rarely use them, I marked (Sharpie) the tool / cutter, and the box. "RIGHT - DRIVE SIDE" and "LEFT".
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    What are the advantages of the press fit bottom bracket? I don't see the advantage to going with this type over the "old" threaded type. The threaded BB's seemed more user friendly to me.
    From what I can tell, you can't run a BB mounted chainguide on the PF30 converted to an X-type. You need ISCG tabs installed.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    That's correct Stripes....

mtbr member
    yeah, that happened, and might have been avoided with a press-fit bb.
    Don't worry, press fit bb's can be fitted on the piss, ovalising your bb shell just like a headset. Find better mechanics!

mtbr member
    pressfit bottom brackets is the sin and hell of bike manufacturing , they bring nothing but evil squeaks and squaks, and mechanics in general hate them with passion!

I suggest everyone stop buying frames with press fit bb

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

Quote Originally Posted by pavlov0032 View Post
    pressfit bottom brackets is the sin and hell of bike manufacturing , they bring nothing but evil squeaks and squaks, and mechanics in general hate them with passion!

I suggest everyone stop buying frames with press fit bb
    I see no benefit to them, and have made sure my last three frames had threaded BB's, including a new Ventana SS. Threading a BB into a Ventana shell is an oddly satisfying task.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    I see no benefit to them, and have made sure my last three frames had threaded BB's, including a new Ventana SS. Threading a BB into a Ventana shell is an oddly satisfying task.
    +100, Work in a shop and we at least get 2 bikes a week with creaking BB's. My next frame will have a threaded BB. Now I have not had any of the frames with the BB92/94 come in creaking and I had 2 of them myself that were silent, but only had them for less then 50 miles.

Ultra Ventanaphile

Well, I have one BB86 Pressfit frame, A bit of quality grease in the bearings every once and a while and 1700 miles later, nary a sound.
    Internal14 pointed out to me Wheels Manufacturing makes a BB73 version that threads together. Really like the Idea behind that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Unfit Norwegian
    Several manufacturers make PF30 bottom brackets that thread together in the BB shell. Hope, E13, etc.

CEO Product Failure
    As it was explained to me, PF30 is the new standard. Its what China is intent on using and all the leading brands are using. Yes, there are performance advantages and the engineering on most PF30 BBs is exceptional.

However, if you choose to stay with a threaded BB, you may eventually find yourself with limited options when its time for an upgrade.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Was this explained to you by someone selling you the product? PF30 may be the new standard for mass produced frames looking to cut costs, that doesn't make it the superior system. I've seen more comments recently about sticking with threaded and how much press fit sucks, so I would argue the honeymoon may be ending. I would also question the performance advantages and engineering considering the number of press fit to threaded adapters available, and the number of threads about PF BB's that squeak, or how to remove bearings from a carbon fame without damaging the frame. They DO have the advantage of having room to use a PF30 eccentric adapter if wanting to adapt to SS.

Re leading brands, Santa Cruz has stuck with threaded all along, with the exception of their new cross frame. Ibis had put BB92 on the Ripley and Tranny, and has gone back to threaded on the HD3.

I'm far more comfortable with needing threaded BB parts in the future than with one of the variations of press fit. Between BB30, PF30, BB92, etc., seems more opportunities for parts to be orphaned with PF variations IMO.

mtbr member

Re: Why the press fit bottom bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    As it was explained to me, PF30 is the new standard. Its what China is intent on using and all the leading brands are using. Yes, there are performance advantages and the engineering on most PF30 BBs is exceptional.

However, if you choose to stay with a threaded BB, you may eventually find yourself with limited options when its time for an upgrade.
    You should tell that to Santa Cruz or Ibis... Looks like they did not get the memo and still use threaded BB...

mtbr member
    press fit bottom bracket is a nightmare for nay bike shop with myriad of plastic adapters, shims, "problem solvers" and "threaded adapter for press fit bottom bracket" (basically going back to originals"

Just one look at all the options on Kris king website makes me nauseous

https://chrisking.com/bbconversionkits

mtbr member
    Quote from Santa Cruz FAQ:

Why does this frame use a standard thread-in bottom bracket, when many of your competitors use press-in style (BB30, Pressfit 30, BB90, BB92, BB86)

It is true that there are some slight weight savings available with the various pressfit bb designs (exact weight savings obviously vary depending on system, frame manufacturing techniques, and crank model), but we don't feel this small savings make up for the inconveniences. We are still able to make a frame that is lighter than most of our competitors, while still using a heavier bb system. There are a number of disadvantages that exist with press fit systems:

1) Special installation and removal tools are required for these parts, including a headset press. This is not convenient for most home mechanics, and they are quite expensive. Traditional external BB's can be installed or removed with a simple $10 hand tool.

2) "Permanently installed cups". Shimano doesn't recommend removing and re-installing their press in bb cups (as they may become damaged), so moving parts from bike to bike is no longer an option. http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...I/SI_0053A_001...

3) Creaking or shifting bb's can be common with these systems. Since the bearing is pressed into a cup, which is then pressed into the frame- it can be hard to get all of the press fits snug- without being too tight on the bearing or too loose in the frame.

4) Reasonable tube sizes. One of the most commonly claimed advantages of a larger bb shell is the larger diameter downtube that goes with it. This may be an advantage on road bikes, where tubes can be incredibly thin and large for optimal stiffness. On a mountain bike, this area of the frame sees a lot of abuse from rocks and crashing, and needs to have a certain amount of wall thickness to survive actual use. Using what we consider a "safe" wall thickness and carbon layup, and a fairly typical tube diameter, we get an exceedingly stiff, light, durable product. If we used a larger downtube, we would either have a heavier frame (same wall thickness but larger diameter), or a less durable product (thinner walls and larger diameter).

5) Chain clearance. Take a look at some of our competitors frames with press in bb shells. The down tube comes so close to the chainrings that many frames have chainsuck guards on the downtube! In our mind, the chain should be able to fall off on a mountain bike and not get jammed between your crank and thin-walled carbon downtube.

6) Backwards compatibility: Many of our customers purchase a frame and build it up with their choice of parts, or parts from an old bike. By using a standard bb, we are compatible with everything without requiring confusing adaptors.

7) Chainguide compatibility: While it may seem strange to talk about putting chainguides on a short travel bike, it is becoming more common now with 10 speed drivetrains. Thread in bb's mean the frame is compatible with bb mount chainguides. We like versatility....

CEO Product Failure

Good job!

My above comment was what I was told by someone whom I trust. Whether Santa Cruz (insert any other brand you'd like here) offers a PF30 isn't really relevant unless I was considering a Santa Cruz.

My own $.02, I've ridden a Ventana since 2003. I absolutely and completely trust anything Sherwood designs. Whether the inclusion of these new designs is owed to the latest-&-best engineering, design "trends", or simply aesthetics, I trust it. So by the simple virtue of PF30 being part of my Ciclon, I tried it without hesitation. 2200 miles and 6 months later, it still rocks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast