mtbr member

Why the press fit bottom bracket?

What are the advantages of the press fit bottom bracket? I don't see the advantage to going with this type over the "old" threaded type. The threaded BB's seemed more user friendly to me.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Allows the use of many of the newer, 30mm spindle cranksets as well as SRAM's GXP.
    Bigger spindle actually ends up being lighter and stiffer. If you run adapter cups and a Shimano setup, the weight penalty is only a few grams.

You can also get an eccentric adapter to tweak BB height or chainstay length or run a SS setup

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Buildyourown, pretty much covers it. One BB shell that lets you use all the new designs or the old type via adapters.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    Buildyourown, pretty much covers it. One BB shell that lets you use all the new designs or the old type via adapters.
    Larger BB shell = more surface area / weld area too? (not saying, just guessing?)
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    In addition to what's already been mentioned, you can also run Shimano cranks with the Problem Solvers eccentric, which, if nothing else, could give you some bb-height adjustment (not to mention bb fore-aft adjustment).

Problem Solvers

Edit: Sorry, buildyourown was already on it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    well, when I got my new (non-Ventana) frame with a traditional BB, the LBS was employed to clean up the threads a bit, just a simple chase job. well, when that park tool is used the wrong direction, you have threads cross-chased in the BB shell, which leaves the frame ruined. yeah, that happened, and might have been avoided with a press-fit bb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    well, when I got my new (non-Ventana) frame with a traditional BB, the LBS was employed to clean up the threads a bit, just a simple chase job. well, when that park tool is used the wrong direction, you have threads cross-chased in the BB shell, which leaves the frame ruined. yeah, that happened, and might have been avoided with a press-fit bb.
    Or it could have been avoid simply with common sense..... lol

mtbr member
    It could have also been avoided by not giving the mechanic beer before doing the work.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Honest mistake, I like to think, but not a one-off, as another local buddy has a cup marked L in the drive-side...I didn't give'm beer, but wakenbake is a helluvadrug!

Proud lame eBiker
    Honest mistake, I like to think, but not a one-off, as another local buddy has a cup marked L in the drive-side...I didn't give'm beer, but wakenbake is a helluvadrug!
    Choose your mechanic wisely!!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Team Fearless Descender
    Honest mistake...!
    You my friend, are far to kind!

I have a set of the taps. I soooo rarely use them, I marked (Sharpie) the tool / cutter, and the box. "RIGHT - DRIVE SIDE" and "LEFT".
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    What are the advantages of the press fit bottom bracket? I don't see the advantage to going with this type over the "old" threaded type. The threaded BB's seemed more user friendly to me.
    From what I can tell, you can't run a BB mounted chainguide on the PF30 converted to an X-type. You need ISCG tabs installed.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    That's correct Stripes....

mtbr member
    yeah, that happened, and might have been avoided with a press-fit bb.
    Don't worry, press fit bb's can be fitted on the piss, ovalising your bb shell just like a headset. Find better mechanics!