11 is one louder than 10

Who is running 12 x 142 on rear...

So, I got all of about 5 rides on my El Rey in last fall (baby, new house, job went nuts, family health issues etc).

So, while I am on the fence about selling it (I may do some endurance racing next season and sell both it and my giant carbon 29er hardtail to go to a 29er FS that is a bit lighter) in the meantime I am going to get it built up for next season.

I do have the 12 x 142 rear dropouts. My understanding is that the MAXLE won't work as the bearing for the pivot gets in the way. So, I have the Shimano insert for their AX-75 QR.

I thought I had heard a lighter replacement was coming for the AX-75, but just finding the AX-75 is hard enough.

So, wondering if there is a thru-bolt alternative that would work with either the maxle dropout, or the shimano insert.

Figure it might save a few oz and be just as easy.

Thanks.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I'm curious what 29er FS would be a lighter option? Also, what is your weight target?

.Ole'

11 is one louder than 10
    Is this hijacking my own thread?

Anyways, my local shop wants me to race for them next year and is offering me a heck of a deal on a Jet 9 carbon with sid XX. So, that would be a lighter frame and fork. That said it's still pricey so it would necessitate selling both the ventana and my Giant Composite 29er (which may not be a bad thing as my neck and lower back have been acting up on and off and maybe I should just ride a dually all of the time).

So, not sure. Don't love the idea of a carbon dually being my only ride though, as when I take trips out west or east I tend to ride rocky crap and still don't trust carbon frames for impact strength. (as my bro put a huge gash in his Tallboy a couple seasons ago).

The Ventana I absoultely trust in any and all conditions, and that I am not sure if I want to give up.

So, may just try to lighten up my El Rey...
    Last edited by Green Giant; 02-11-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    So, I got all of about 5 rides on my El Rey in last fall (baby, new house, job went nuts, family health issues etc).

So, while I am on the fence about selling it (I may do some endurance racing next season and sell both it and my giant carbon 29er hardtail to go to a 29er FS that is a bit lighter) in the meantime I am going to get it built up for next season.

I do have the 12 x 142 rear dropouts. My understanding is that the MAXLE won't work as the bearing for the pivot gets in the way. So, I have the Shimano insert for their AX-75 QR.

I thought I had heard a lighter replacement was coming for the AX-75, but just finding the AX-75 is hard enough.

So, wondering if there is a thru-bolt alternative that would work with either the maxle dropout, or the shimano insert.

Figure it might save a few oz and be just as easy.

Thanks.
    I run the 142 x 12 with the Shimano axle on my 2012 El Ciclon. What is the weight difference between the two axles? Is it really significant? Ventana sold me the Shimano axle so there was no problem getting it.

Bike feels a bit stiffer (got it because I was tired of changing flats with Fun Bolts, not for stiffness though), and I don't notice any real weight penalty on it vs. the QR.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD