Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm What's with the Ventana forum?

All you people do is talk about issues related to bikes. No drama or drunken tales of a builder gone wild. Reading this forum is like coming home after a 3 day rave compared to the 29'er forum.

Oh, my El Rey is working very well. Stout's are a bit slow but they are holding up in tubeless mode. It's also getting warm in Arizona already!
    Last edited by Cycle64; 03-11-2008 at 03:06 PM.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    All you people do is talk about issues related to bikes. No drama or drunken tales of a builder gone wild. Reading this forum is like coming home after a 3 day rave compared to the 29'er forum.
    [IMG]--------[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 03-11-2008 at 02:46 PM.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Shovel Ready
    Quit posting images of Fo!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

We are too busy actually riding.

Team Fearless Descender
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Shovel Ready
    Amen, sucks being off the bike or doing only flat rides lately. Sure don't heal like I did when I was twenty! Been dealing with a sore hip from my last attempt to fly. All this wonderful AZ weather and I'm missing it. Heck I like riding when it's 110 out anyway! Have the trail all to my self for some reason!

Captain Underpants
    Yeah, Imagine that, people talking about bikes on a bike forum . . . .

Single Speed Junkie
    I just wanted to discuss band camp.

Shovel Ready
    Got the El Rey out today for the first real run since my last crash. Sherwood, thanks for building such a fine machine! Now it's time to start working on the fitness. Fat boy felt the Asthma big time. I did not care I was just enjoying the day. Heck only thing missing today was not seeing a rattler! OK I can do without the rattler but it is that time of the year.

Bike stuff:

The WTB Stout hooks up real well on the AZ dirt and rocks. Running them F & R @ 38 psi. WB F110 is getting smoother every time I ride it. It is time for an oil change but its working so good I'll wait until the summer.

Captain Underpants
    The WTB Stout hooks up real well on the AZ dirt and rocks. Running them F & R @ 38 psi. WB F110 is getting smoother every time I ride it. It is time for an oil change but its working so good I'll wait until the summer.
    That is real nice to know. I just put one on the front of my El Padrino and will be going for a ride later today. I'm going to try 32 psi, as it is not as rocky around here. I'll be interested to see how the rolling resistance compares to the Rampage.

The only bummer is with the added weight of the tire, the Padrino is now pushing 27 pounds. But if it improves the downhill bashability of the bike, who cares?

The Stouts are the best 29er tire I have ridden yet...

It also might have helped that they were on one of these...

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Please if you want to talk about 29ers do it in the 29er forum........ this is the Ventana forum I predict 650B will be the next THING.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Certainly seems all the rage recently, doesn't it. I can't open up a bike mag these days without seeing something with 650b in it somewhere.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    I predict 650B will be the next THING.
    Please save all 650B posts for the 650B forum . . . . .

And if you want to see some people get their knickers in a wad, post something about 650B in the 29er forum.

Agreed, 650B is where it is at, can't wait to jump on the bandwagon.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

[quote=Random DrivelI'm going to try 32 psi, as it is not as rocky around here. I'll be interested to see how the rolling resistance compares to the Rampage.[/quote]

I'm a fat boy at 270lbs! So I always run a few extra psi than others. Please let me know what you think on the rolling resistance. I think they were no worse than the Nevegals I hard on my RFX.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    And if you want to see some people get their knickers in a wad, post something about 650B in the 29er forum.
    Ooo.. that sounds like fun

I kick it old skool.. I'm still riding 26er..
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    I kick it old skool.. I'm still riding 26er..
    Nothing wrong with that......we gone this long riding 26er and doing just fine. Then these revolutionaries preach how this is wrong and what they're offering is a better life if we roll 29er.....well that's a load of bollocks

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Then these revolutionaries preach how this is wrong and what they're offering is a better life if we roll 29er.....well that's a load of bollocks
    Of course it is . . . 29ers are passe . . . . we all know the holy grail is 650B

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Of course it is . . . 29ers are passe . . . . we all know the holy grail is 650B
    Yeah, that's right! How about a bike with square wheels.....who will be first to jump on that bandwagon.

http://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/ffi...01.2-3-8.shtml

Captain Underpants

Weight weenies need not apply

I'm a fat boy at 270lbs! So I always run a few extra psi than others. Please let me know what you think on the rolling resistance. I think they were no worse than the Nevegals I hard on my RFX.
    I took the Stout out for the inaugural ride today, and . . . . wow. Wow wow wow.

I ran the front at 32 psi which is typical for me (I weigh 260). As a front tire it hooked up extremely well and rolled over everything I threw at it; rocks, roots, small garden gnomes, whatever. The Stout can take some punishment. I found myself sailing through sections and building speed on parts of the trail that have slowed me down in the past. This thing builds confidence, quick. Part of the reason is that the Stout is damn heavy--1104 g as measured. Easy to keep your momentum when you are being dragged downhill by an anvil. And the key to this tire is to do just that--keep up your momentum and the weight won't slow you down.

The only bummmer was that I had a Michelin XC on the back, and I noticed the imbalance right away. I'm going to toss on on the rear in the next day or so.

Rolling resistance seems a tad better than the Nevegal and possibly the Rampage. Volume is similar to the Rampage, with the Rampage having more volume--but not by much.

*edit* I think the Stout has more volume, now that I look at it.

I'll do a more detailed write up and post it on the 29er board. For now I think this tire and the Rampage are my two favorite dry tires. For a clyde, it is the ideal tire, because you won't really notice the extra weight much.

But then, I haven't cracked open that set of Racing Ralphs yet . . .
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 03-18-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Shovel Ready
    Put one on the back and really be amazed! I got another ride on mine tonight. While they are slow on the flats and climbs. Cornering and DH runs these things rock. I am a Rampage fan but had trouble with them tubeless on my Flows. Not a lick of trouble so far with the FR casing Stout. That alone makes it worth it to me. I may drop a little psi but not much. I have yet to break the rear loose on a climb, sitting and spinning. I did bog down on a climb I normally make. Was it me tonight, most likely.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp111
    I can't open up a bike mag these days without seeing something with 650b in it somewhere.
    Try a Penthouse or Hustler,, I can't find a damn thing about 650b in them.
    beaver hunt

Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Try a Penthouse or Hustler,, I can't find a damn thing about 650b in them.
    My thoughts on 650B.....

http://www.mtbtrailreview.com/blog

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    My thoughts on 650B.....

http://www.mtbtrailreview.com/blog
    word...

right now, it's the look at me, look at me, I'm on a 650b.. Once there's more tires, forks, and frames, it's not a bad thing. I get a kick out of all the frankenbikes in the 650b forum, what a bunch a tards.
    beaver hunt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast