Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What races for you in 2008?

I'm not a big race junky but like the occasional local race or bigger event. I was wondering if you guys participate in such events or just ride between buddies? It's not the racing part but mostly the fact of riding a new place.

Here's a 4-day race (194 km, 9450m D+) we might do with a buddy:
    http://www.transmaurienne.com/en.html

I'll do one or 2 rounds of the Enduro series which is a neat idea
    http://www.tribesportgroup.com/endur...p?lang=english
    A / The practice of Enduro in Moutain Bike is very famous, but still poorly developed. The goal is simple : racing through a definite number of downhills during the weekend, the only competitor being the chronometer. There is nearly no face to face between pilots !

B/ Concerning the Enduro Series, the goal will be the same : to offer to the pilots a maximum of ride, on every aspect : we offer wonderful areas of race, real MTB tracks (singletracks essentially), conviviality…
    And also the 2 big bike assemblies of the year in France:

http://www.passportesdusoleil.com/

http://www.mondialduvtt.com/

those being events where all chairlifts are accessible and you can either follow the route or ride around as you please.

Is any Euro Ventana rider coming to any of these events?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    None for me. Different strokes, etc., but I feel racing is a sure way to suck the fun out of an otherwise nice ride. While apparently fulfilling a need that some folks have, it has nothing to offer me. My $0.02, since you asked.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling
    I'm not a big race junky but like the occasional local race or bigger event. I was wondering if you guys participate in such events or just ride between buddies? It's not the racing part but mostly the fact of riding a new place.

i'm considering doing my first race with Sea Otter.. if someone i know will race with me in the Super D.
    I ride just to enjoy mself, but it would be nice to push myself towards a goal. That said...
    I'd also consider doing the XC.. but both my bikes are a tad on the bulky side

Ultra Ventanaphile
    We usually get a strong showing of Ventanaphiles at Sea Otter, this year should be no exception.

Both Racing and just to ride and have fun. Hopefully we get better weather this year cuz I really don't want to go home early again like last year suffering from Hypothermia!

As for me, I'm not much into racing, I'm way too big to be competitive, but I do like to hit the local series sponsored by Ventana. Even if it's just once.

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Having a nice day!
    I am not a racer either, but I am thinking about trying one of the local distance races this year, just to give me a goal as much as anything. It is the Fools Gold 50/100. If I do this, it will be for the 50 miler. Tough area to ride, although it is close. I think the most I have ever ridden out there was 20 something and I was pretty tired afterwards. But there wasn't a beer drinking festival at the end of it either! My goal would be to finish. If I enjoy it, then I can set some time goals for the next time.

D-Rock, RSutton, Red Rocker. You guys in? Johnmre said he is interested.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I have though about doing one or 2 marathons next year on the salty...who knows..might be fun...

Proud lame eBiker
    unfluid one: Come up to Auburn June 6,July 10, and Aug. 26 for some low key dh races! This is kind of a lot of people local stomping grounds, xc and am, so it should be fun.

Personally I hate Sea Otter...too much of a show, and too many shows going on at once. Never come away from that weekend feeling complete, always feel that I missed out on something, whether it be a dj comp. or xc crit/tt, of ds or 'downill'. Plus ther crush of so many people...ugh.

Races in `08 for me?

Coolest 24hr in May. Yippe...this will be FUN riiiight?
    Maybe a few of those Granite Bay local xc races this early spring.
    Definitely doing 12 of 12 of those Ventana Wednesday night races. (Gotta win the Clydes class this year. 2nd place wasn't good enough. I'm down 15lbs from last year already and it's only Jan. 9th!)
    Try to get out to the BigFoot races up north...100% this year for Lemurian!
    Maaaaybe a few dh races at N*...but I hate paying money to do such little amount of racing at times.

Of course there will be a few crits too this year just to remind myself why I hate it so.

Oh yeah, ToCali, Georgia, Missouri, and Utah...but I"ll wrenching for teams at those races, not racing myself! Shaaaw right!

OK...better go eat my Wheeties, that's a full year right there.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

jms
    mtbr member

A Full schedule

Here's my racing schedule for the year: February 16th - Los Olivos [5 laps x 11 miles], April 5th - "Boggs III" [8hr solo], May - "12hrs of Weaverville" [solo], June 29th - "Cascade Cream Puff", August[?] - "12 hrs of Humboldt" [solo], October - "Whiskeytown 9 to 5" [solo]. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    jms that's one hell of a racing schedule, I guess you're into long distance solo racing, eh?! I have never tried that and it sure scares me , that must be quite something!

How light is you Salty?

Racing in itself doesn't turn me on (probably because I'm just average) but the fact of meeting other peeps and riding altogether on new ground is bliss.

One more I forgot in the list

http://www.extreme-sur-loue.com/fr/index.php

that one will also be the final round of the UCI marathon world championships...needless to say I'll be far back!

No known cure
    I'll be doing D'ville, and the odd Super D that Rim Nordic and Southridge puts on. Havn't decided on any DH races yet. The trails around here have quite a bit of traffic and a race every now and then allows you to let it all hang out without using a hiker as a water bar.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

not so super...
    Races?? Like the one that slides on to the fork steerer to center it on the headtube?? Bearing races in the hubs??
    Last edited by SSINGA; 01-10-2008 at 06:21 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Races?? Like the one that slides on to the fork steerer to center it on the headtube?? Bearing races on in the hubs??
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar
    I am not a racer either, but I am thinking about trying one of the local distance races this year, just to give me a goal as much as anything. It is the Fools Gold 50/100. If I do this, it will be for the 50 miler. Tough area to ride, although it is close. I think the most I have ever ridden out there was 20 something and I was pretty tired afterwards. But there wasn't a beer drinking festival at the end of it either! My goal would be to finish. If I enjoy it, then I can set some time goals for the next time.

D-Rock, RSutton, Red Rocker. You guys in? Johnmre said he is interested.
    I think I would be the only idiot out there on a 35 lbs, 6", coil/coil, 2.4 tire bike....

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    I think I would be the only idiot out there on a 35 lbs, 6", coil/coil, 2.4 tire bike....
    We need to do a 12/24 hr as team 6 inch fatty!
    Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    We need to do a 12/24 hr as team 6 inch fatty!
    I have a feeling that people make take that name a different way than intended...

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I really enjoy doing the local races verses the big national events. It's much more enjoyable to race with friends at the local races.

jms
    mtbr member

El Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling
    jms that's one hell of a racing schedule, I guess you're into long distance solo racing, eh?! I have never tried that and it sure scares me , that must be quite something!

How light is you Salty?

Racing in itself doesn't turn me on (probably because I'm just average) but the fact of meeting other peeps and riding altogether on new ground is bliss.
    Actually it's not an El Saltomantes, it's a 19" El Rey built with an El Patron tubeset. Depending on the tire choice [course specific] it weighs between 26 and 26.5 lbs.
    As to racing the solo endurance stuff, I got over my fear of failure, tried it, liked it, and treat it like just another reeeaalllly long bike ride with a bunch of like minded souls [fools]. and I agree with you fully on the idea that it's a great opportunity to get out to different places and meet some really interesting people. Good luck with your races this year

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Maybe a few of those Granite Bay local xc races this early spring.
    Definitely doing 12 of 12 of those Ventana Wednesday night races. (Gotta win the Clydes class this year. 2nd place wasn't good enough. I'm down 15lbs from last year already and it's only Jan. 9th!)
    Ok, I was going to jump on here and jump on my soap box about how much I hate TBF, and how they profit from the work that Ken Prager, FATRAC and I did to make the G-Bay trails etc etc etc and how they don't kick back any $$$ for trail access. Ok, so I sorta still did but anyway, I saw the schedule, and I guess the first two events are Charity Drives, ok, TBF ain't so bad. No 100% in, but I'm thinking of doing the 1/20 race just to set a bench mark for the year, you in?
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Cool. I'm planning on the Los Olivos race next month. I'll be interested in seeing your El Rey. I thought very seriously about doing the same thing as you did (El Rey w/El Patron tubes). Then I got a sweet deal on a demo Sultan. If I have my new 29" race wheels, I'll ride the Sultan. If not, I'll ride the 26" bike (Flux w/green I9s).

I also would like to do the 12 hours of Humboldt. My in-laws live in Arcata, so that makes it easy.

Look forward to seeing you next month.

Having a nice day!
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    I'm sure Hamilton or Jason can loan you something.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Ok, I was going to jump on here and jump on my soap box about how much I hate TBF, and how they profit from the work that Ken Prager, FATRAC and I did to make the G-Bay trails etc etc etc and how they don't kick back any $$$ for trail access. Ok, so I sorta still did but anyway, I saw the schedule, and I guess the first two events are Charity Drives, ok, TBF ain't so bad. No 100% in, but I'm thinking of doing the 1/20 race just to set a bench mark for the year, you in?
    I have the same thoughts about TBF......and any other group that profits from all the hard work FATRAC and other folks put into the trails at G-Bay. Since I have limited time to help out.....I make it a point to pick up trash during my rides as a way to helping the greater good.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo

Wow...didn't know all that back info of TBF vs FATRAC....and Ken P. is a great customer of mine too! Hrmmm, have to rethink that one. I hear they're like $45 too which doesn't sounds that appealing either.

1/20/08 I will be racing...but not a Ventana.
    Hopefully be racing my KTM with Sherwood at PCGranPrix moto race that day! God, you think bicycle upkeep is a pain, try it with a moto. Still compiling my list of 'race-day' needs! Three pairs of goggles. Extra this...extra that. Can't wait though, will be my first moto race. braaaaaaaap!!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Wow...didn't know all that back info of TBF vs FATRAC....and Ken P. is a great customer of mine too! Hrmmm, have to rethink that one. I hear they're like $45 too which doesn't sounds that appealing either.
    I stopped doing TBF races when they raised the price and then I found out they pay peanuts to lease the trail for the day....without putting any $$$$$ back into the trail system. If the Ventana race series can turn a profit with what they charge to race then TBF are just fleasing the local mtn biking community. This shows in the amount of racers that show up. I remember the sport class being huge like it is at Ventana Race Series then it got really small less then 20 riders. Do folks really want to spend $45.00 to race a local race......maybe Sea Otter. Plus they do a poor job cleaning up after a race.....I can't tell you the amount of trash I pick up after their events. IMO, TBF is not a good trail steward or embassador to the sport. They seem to have an agenda and just use the mtn bike races to fund that agenda.

The Ventana Race Series is true grass roots local NorCal racing that is cost effective for the entire family. I would say it's on par with Sea Otter but without the show. Not forgetting all the great shops that support the event.

mtbr member
    Last year I did the Cascade CreamPuff and it took up way to much time training for it. This year I'm planning to do the local short track series in the SS class.

mtbr member
    What are the different categories in the US to race? I'm a bit confused. In France we have the same categories as the UCI denomination (XC, marathon XC, 4X, DH) and some odd balls (megavalanche, maxi, freeraid, enduroseries, slopestyle) being timed or free DH shuttles.

also 29er and SS is slow to pick up here and there are very few events for those.

JMS, I guess I didn't pay enough attention to your bike! How could I miss that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast